looking for a new portable. suggestions?
Jan 24, 2007 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, I currently have a Zen Micro 5 GB. I want to replace it with an mp3 player with more space available, preferably 20+gb. I don't really want to spend more than $150 either.
So far, I see my choices as:
4G 40gb iPod ($150)
iRiver H120 ($120)
???

Honestly, I'm not much of a guy for ipods, considering the stories I've heard of them being unreliable (batteries dying, hard drive failure), and the fact that I can't stand iTunes.

I don't see anything wrong with an iRiver, but of course the extra 20gb is a nice touch.

What other choices do I have? Do I even have many other choices?
I don't care about video. It would also be nice if it would last me for a while. I don't really mind if it's new, used, or refurbished. As long as it's a reliable player, I'm happy. Preferably not too large as well.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 24
go for the h120. it has the best upgrade path (line-out, optical out, rockbox, etc).

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 24
I'm only saying this since I just read it somewhere else, but the comment was that the H120 headphone out isn't that good and to only get it to use the line out with an amp. Again, I have no personal knowledge, just saw that comment and it seemed appropriate. You might want to research that bit.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 24
you don't need to use itunes. you can use a bunch of programs including winamp and mediamonkey. its hard to say if the reliability of the battery and harddrive of the ipod is actually worse. you may hear about failure more often, but you need to consider the number of ipods sold. if you're looking at refurbished, from what i have heard the batteries are replaced, but that is by no means definite.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go for the h120. it has the best upgrade path (line-out, optical out, rockbox, etc).

As well as a 30gig drive upgrade, and soon a 40gig drive upgrade.

H140 will net you a 60gig drive upgrade, as well as an 80gig if you want to, topping out at the just released 100gig dual platter hdd.

Very simple modification too.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you don't need to use itunes. you can use a bunch of programs including winamp and mediamonkey.

Will they function as well though?
Right now I think I'm going to stick with the H120, but I'm not so certain yet. I've pretty much decided to avoid the ipods. I was never a fan, and the fact that iRiver with rockbox (its already installed) is drag and drop, and supports ID3 tags as well. It seems like the more logical route to me.

Are there any other players for around that price ($120) with maybe more storage? Do players with larger hard drives even exist in that price range?

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 24
Conversely, the iPod headphone-out may suffer from bass insufficiency with low-impedance headphones.

At that price it's really a toss-up. They're both fantastic deals and both offer substantial potential.. you could RedWine the iPod, or get a DAC for the H120. Both cases would require an amp as well and would be rather expensive, but probably offer stellar sound quality in their own regards.

Rockbox is beautiful, by the way.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Conversely, the iPod headphone-out may suffer from bass insufficiency with low-impedance headphones.

At that price it's really a toss-up. They're both fantastic deals and both offer substantial potential.. you could RedWine the iPod, or get a DAC for the H120. Both cases would require an amp as well and would be rather expensive, but probably offer stellar sound quality in their own regards.

Rockbox is beautiful, by the way.

Thanks for the tips. If I don't get the H120, it will most likely be another iRiver or something like that. The idea of the remote with the player is something that intrigues me over some other features, considering how you can control everything without taking the player out of your bag.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 24
I have used a H120 (with 30gb HD and Rockbox) for quite a while and really like it. The main downsides I find are the limited hard drive capacity, lack of a color screen, and relative large dimemsions. If you aren't looking for a line out, consider the Gigabeat F40. I just picked one up off of eBay and like the sound quality. The sound stage is not a full as the H120, but it has a very clean sound. RockBox has been solid on the my F40. It does cheapy plastic shell. I plan on picking up a silicone case for it. You can get a refurb F40 off of eBay for a good price.

-Pony

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used a H120 (with 30gb HD and Rockbox) for quite a while and really like it. The main downsides I find are the limited hard drive capacity, lack of a color screen, and relative large dimemsions. If you aren't looking for a line out, consider the Gigabeat F40. I just picked one up off of eBay and like the sound quality. The sound stage is not a full as the H120, but it has a very clean sound. RockBox has been solid on the my F40. It does cheapy plastic shell. I plan on picking up a silicone case for it. You can get a refurb F40 off of eBay for a good price.

-Pony

I found a used F40 on ebay for $99, now I'm waiting to see if it gets relisted. I'm also watching a couple iRiver players, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for sharing your views on some of the players.
May I ask how much you spent on the F40?

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 24
I guess I'll bump my topic up.
What is available in the line of mp3 players with line-out? One that will allow me to directly connect a portable amp to it. Can the H120 do this, or is that only digital line-out?

How's the line-out on the zen vision m?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back