Looking for a new pair of headphones for ~$100, Senns HD555's?
Jun 12, 2008 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fandangoya

New Head-Fier
The pair that I'd had for the past year have been Sennheiser eh150. It is a pretty cheap pair, but they have been really good to me. That is part of reason I'm looking to go back to Sennheiser. The HD555's look like the best pair for this price. I'm also leaning towards them because I've read that have a large soundstage, which is good for the music I listen to (like Dave Matthews Band). But since they are 1/4", I'd have to get this as well:

Grado quarter to eighth inch plug Adapter @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Since I cannot stand the regular adapters.

Also, I will not be using an amp and do not want to start using one.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 14
Fandangoya, you're in a similar situation that I was in; I upgraded from the eH-150 to the Sennheiser HD-555.

Why do you dislike the regular adapters? If you hate having a protrusion from your headphone jack, why not buy a short headphone extension cable, such as those made for the iPhone? It sure beats a horribly overpriced adapter from HeadRoom.
DealExtreme: $1.60 3.5mm Stereo Headset Converter Cable for Apple iPhone (14cm)

Now, I'll tell you what I thought of the upgrade, in short. The soundstage is by far the best thing about HD-555; it truly immerses you in the sound, far more than the eH-150. The sound is also warmer, giving an at-home feeling (if that means anything to you). I don't consider my ears to be trained enough to talk much about midrange and treble, but it's there and it's luscious.

There were two things that didn't excite me so much. First was the detail; The HD-555 is very slow, and it smoothes out the sound. This is great for sounds like strings, but not as good for sounds requiring detail. Also not so exciting was the lack of bass. The eH-150 had wonderful bass, which to my inexperienced ears was precise and. impactful. The HD-555 certainly didn't have bloated bass, but it just wasn't present enough. And I'm the kind of guy who detests subwoofers and doesn't care much for heavy bass.

However, all was not ill, for I discovered burn-in! I had long been skeptical of what I thought was a placebo effect until it happened. Something magical occurred, and the two quirks that I had with the headphone disappeared! Detail flourished, while somehow retaining smoothness and silkiness of the sound, and the bass started popping up. Not as much as on the eH-150, but just the right amount for me. Everything is absolutely lovely now, and I fully recommend the Sennheiser HD-555 as a great upgrade to the eH-150.

With regard to amplification, there's no real need. I run my headphones out of the 'mid-fi' amplifier in my receiver most of the time, and they sound great. Of course, most people don't have a home theatre system everywhere they want to listen to headphones. Thankfully, you'll get all the volume you need from the itty-bittiest iPod nano or other MP3 player of choice.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 14
I've never heard the HD555, so I don't know how it compares to the HD485, but the HD485 is extremely comfortable and sound wise is a step down from the HD580. It has a slight bass hump compared to the HD580 and a little less detail.

BTW, the Senn adapter is very much like the Grado adapter sold at HeadRoom, but is only $5. It also has a smaller barrel at the 1/8" end. The Grado has a lip at the plug end of the barrel that makes it almost as big as a 1/4" barrel. A 3" headphone extension cable, if you can find one, will work just as well.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fandangoya, you're in a similar situation that I was in; I upgraded from the eH-150 to the Sennheiser HD-555.

Why do you dislike the regular adapters? If you hate having a protrusion from your headphone jack, why not buy a short headphone extension cable, such as those made for the iPhone? It sure beats a horribly overpriced adapter from HeadRoom.
DealExtreme: $1.60 3.5mm Stereo Headset Converter Cable for Apple iPhone (14cm)

Now, I'll tell you what I thought of the upgrade, in short. The soundstage is by far the best thing about HD-555; it truly immerses you in the sound, far more than the eH-150. The sound is also warmer, giving an at-home feeling (if that means anything to you). I don't consider my ears to be trained enough to talk much about midrange and treble, but it's there and it's luscious.

There were two things that didn't excite me so much. First was the detail; The HD-555 is very slow, and it smoothes out the sound. This is great for sounds like strings, but not as good for sounds requiring detail. Also not so exciting was the lack of bass. The eH-150 had wonderful bass, which to my inexperienced ears was precise and. impactful. The HD-555 certainly didn't have bloated bass, but it just wasn't present enough. And I'm the kind of guy who detests subwoofers and doesn't care much for heavy bass.

However, all was not ill, for I discovered burn-in! I had long been skeptical of what I thought was a placebo effect until it happened. Something magical occurred, and the two quirks that I had with the headphone disappeared! Detail flourished, while somehow retaining smoothness and silkiness of the sound, and the bass started popping up. Not as much as on the eH-150, but just the right amount for me. Everything is absolutely lovely now, and I fully recommend the Sennheiser HD-555 as a great upgrade to the eH-150.

With regard to amplification, there's no real need. I run my headphones out of the 'mid-fi' amplifier in my receiver most of the time, and they sound great. Of course, most people don't have a home theatre system everywhere they want to listen to headphones. Thankfully, you'll get all the volume you need from the itty-bittiest iPod nano or other MP3 player of choice.

i had a similar experience after burning in my new HD555. They are very comfortable and SQ is amazing. You won't regret buying them. And there is a noticeable change after burn-in.

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 14
for under $100 I like to recommend the grado sr60 or sr80s unless you have something against grados that you dont like (open design, fairly bright, superaural, not very comfy, etc.)

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Hi Fandangoya,
I have used the MS1 extensively at this price point, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a great fon they are. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes on this forum already knows that. For some they are uncomfortable (not for me) but they are a great, well balanced bang for your buck fon that can be driven by most sources. I liked the sound signature so much , I did the Headfi thing and have now spent many long hours with the MS2.
However, the reason for my post is to say that I spent some time listening to the HD555 (in Australia they are priced comparable to the MS1) and I've got to say, I think they are a very nice fon in their own right. They tend to get overlooked here by HD595 and the HD6xx, which is unfair as they are priced at another market. Bang for your buck I think they might be the sen bargain fon.
I found them very efficient (no need for an amp here) extremely comfortable, and more importantly they sound bloody good to my ears. Not better than the Alessandros, however not worse in my opinion, just different. The MS1's are fast, energetic, impacting, brightish, fun and the sen HD555's are smooth, warm, liquid, well balanced, darkish, laid back. They do have great soundstage.

It all goes down to preference, your mood and the genres you want to listen to. The H555's are great fons, good value and I would recommend them at their price point as being one of the best.

Good luck in your decision and I hope you enjoy your purchase.
Cheers

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the AD700's.

More detail for the money and more comfy.

Comfiness is debatable. I myself prefer the fit of the HD line. Still, worth checking out the AD700, I hear they do soundstage a bit better. Just make sure you try em on before buying. I had to return mine cause they were too big for my head. You can't go wrong with 555's though.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 14
I made my decision and just ordered a pair of HD555's
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back