Looking for a new mp3/FLAC player.
Feb 19, 2015 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bushzyx

New Head-Fier
Hello,

my Sony NWZ-E585 just died (3 days after the expiration of the warranty -_-) so I'm now looking for a replacement. I'm pretty certain about what I want but I don't know much about the market, and browsing through the few first pages I only landed on reviews of players that were out of my price range.

So I'm pretty limited ATM and my budget would be somewhere between 100 to 150 euros. A few more can be added if it's REALLY worth it. Ideally it'd come with its own earphones just like the NWZ-E585 did - loved the noise cancellation on those... so that would also be a plus to have that option.

As far as the characteristics go, I'd want 16 or 32gigs, the best possible sound quality and well, I don't really care all that much for videos. Oh it must be able to read FLACs too.
I want a rather small player that could fit in my pocket no matter what (due to the other players death, I'm killing my ears listening to my iphone and that thing is just huge. hate it.) - the size of an iPod Nano 1st gen for example would be great.
I also like having the commands on the front of the player and not on the side - wheel or cross (again, nano or nwz pretty much haha, I didn't buy those for nothing :) ) both are fine to me as long as its handled with the thumb while the player is resting on my fingers.
I want to have the possibility to import my folders directly (without a software like itunes) and not lose the way I ordered my file.
Last but not least the battery is a must for me. Even if that Sony died I always was impressed by how long I could go on using it without having to load it.

Thanks. :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 17
I think you should focus on looking at the Sony A15 Walkman, its going to cost about $50 USD more than your budget but meets your requirements well. I'll give you that thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/sony-nwz-a10-series

With all your requirements you're cutting down many options due to the size you require, if this wasn't a problem you could research:

iBasso DX50
FiiO X1
FiiO X3

Or... the soon coming FiiO X3 II in about a month. The X3 II and X1 might still be within your size requirements so have a read of that thread, its going to be priced right around your budget.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote

If however, you wanted to do this much cheaper there are options which work well. Something like...

Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip is tiny in size and they sound great

Or, for about $55 USD the XDuoo X2.

XDuoo thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748909/xduoo-x2-small-lossless-player-with-microsd-and-oled

One thing with many of these players is you're going to need to forget about the earphones being added in the package.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks,
the size of the Fiio is indeed ok but I'm unsure about the button positioning - I'd rather have a cross or a wheel - but I'm studying it for now. Still would have to find a retailer.
I have heard of the Sansas before but I actually have quite big hands and these might be well, too small lol.
I'm still considering that Sony one. But I have to say it reminds me a lot of the nwz-e585 build wise and I'm scared it'll die right after warranty aswell ><
As far the earphones are concerned, how much would I have to add to get a decent pair, if it was to use with say the A15.

Edit: Nvm the stupidity about the Fiios, I watched the X3 only (you know, higher number means more recent means better... x) ) How responsive are the buttons? The interface seems weird - like not folder based - but I guess it just takes getting used to and the price of it is actually perfect if I have to buy earphones on top. How is the battery as I'm reading some 12 hours nonsense? xd

Edit2: Currently having my eye on a FiioX1 + Soundmagic e10 combo. Any feedback?

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 17
i just got the shure 215 iems. they were 80 bucks from amazon warehouse deals. got them they were new, just a dent in the box. they sould very good and the noise cancel on these things are far better then anything i have listened to in the past the build is also very nice and strong. these headphones will last. all in all i would go with the sony s series walkman. 755. i have it on a single charge it lasts over 40 hours you can get it on amazon right now for like 105 bucks, good deal. i would get the shures 215-k as well they are worth the money

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 17
  Hello,

my Sony NWZ-E585 just died (3 days after the expiration of the warranty -_-) so I'm now looking for a replacement. I'm pretty certain about what I want but I don't know much about the market, and browsing through the few first pages I only landed on reviews of players that were out of my price range.

So I'm pretty limited ATM and my budget would be somewhere between 100 to 150 euros. A few more can be added if it's REALLY worth it. Ideally it'd come with its own earphones just like the NWZ-E585 did - loved the noise cancellation on those... so that would also be a plus to have that option.

As far as the characteristics go, I'd want 16 or 32gigs, the best possible sound quality and well, I don't really care all that much for videos. Oh it must be able to read FLACs too.
I want a rather small player that could fit in my pocket no matter what (due to the other players death, I'm killing my ears listening to my iphone and that thing is just huge. hate it.) - the size of an iPod Nano 1st gen for example would be great.
I also like having the commands on the front of the player and not on the side - wheel or cross (again, nano or nwz pretty much haha, I didn't buy those for nothing :) ) both are fine to me as long as its handled with the thumb while the player is resting on my fingers.
I want to have the possibility to import my folders directly (without a software like itunes) and not lose the way I ordered my file.
Last but not least the battery is a must for me. Even if that Sony died I always was impressed by how long I could go on using it without having to load it.

Thanks. :)

I'd think about saving another $200 and getting the PonoPlayer for $400.  It ships with 128gb and can be expanded with MicroSD. It has a great DAC, best analog stage out there, simple interface with basic controls, no fluff, just great sound quality.  It can drive just about anything in any output config, and makes even cheap headphones and speakers sound better.

I'm finding the triangle tablerone shape to be excellent for a music player.  It requires no stand, no case, doesn't slide around, displays from any angle, stays where you put it, is rugged, won't bend, and looks nice next to whatever it is powering. It also fits in all pockets except for skinny jeans. 

Just my $.02.  If I absolutely had to stick on your budget I'd give the cheapest Fiio a listen, I think they have one for $100. Its not gonna sound as good as the PP, but it should beat the pants off an iDevice or phone.

Edit -- it can also be side loaded right from the computer OS, no client needed, no reordering or importing required. The only thing you need the free PonoWorld software for (actually just JRiver) is to do firmware updates on the PP, and they have added things like gapless playback and DSD playback, so you are gonna want the firmware updates.

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 17
  I really can't afford that right now (and wont for a while either) ;(

FiiO X1 and SoundMagic E10 will sound nice, you could also consider:

Ostry KC06
Brainwavs S0
Xiaomi Pistons 2.0

If I had a total of 150 Euro, I'd buy FiiO X1 and Ostry KC06. =)

Ultimately, you would upgrade the IEM later to Dunu DN-1000 for $200 USD. (something I think sounds very nice with FiiO X1).

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Can't find the Ostry or Brainwavs in europe and they seem kind of expensive :xf_eek: Any website ? I didn't find them on Thomann or amazon.  I did find the Xiaomis tho and they are pretty cheap! But that included mic/volume combo isn't really appealing to me, is it still solid with that implement?

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 17
If I were you I'd keep an eye out for a decent cheap clip, and use the rest towards headphones.  The clip can sound pretty good, and you can add a cheap micro sd card later on.

That said it seems amp3 have a 10 % off atm, no idea how long it will last though!  Code is AMP14   

Might not work on a mobile though, and not on all products.  

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 17
  Can't find the Ostry or Brainwavs in europe and they seem kind of expensive :xf_eek: Any website ? I didn't find them on Thomann or amazon.  I did find the Xiaomis tho and they are pretty cheap! But that included mic/volume combo isn't really appealing to me, is it still solid with that implement?

Penon Audio: http://penonaudio.com/

MP4Nation: http://www.mp4nation.net/

Yes, the headphone always gives the most improvement. I think what you're looking for is the cheapest way out, which simply doesn't happen friend in this hobby. To get great sound you need to allow the budget. You won't be going terribly far if you skip out on a $40 pair of IEM. I used to think you just purchased a $50 earphone and that was it, you'd have great sound, I quickly learnt $100 was a bit better, $200 was getting closer, now I'm spending up to $500 on an IEM.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 17
I

Penon Audio: http://penonaudio.com/

MP4Nation: http://www.mp4nation.net/

Yes, the headphone always gives the most improvement. I think what you're looking for is the cheapest way out, which simply doesn't happen friend in this hobby. To get great sound you need to allow the budget. You won't be going terribly far if you skip out on a $40 pair of IEM. I used to think you just purchased a $50 earphone and that was it, you'd have great sound, I quickly learnt $100 was a bit better, $200 was getting closer, now I'm spending up to $500 on an IEM.

I'm far from having such a budget, it might come eventually but thats not going to be for a while and I need the best I can get in that price range. Right now I'm pretty much sure about the FiiO x1 , it's a matter of earphones now - most likely Xiaomi or Soundmagics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back