Looking for a new DVD player
Aug 26, 2002 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a new DVD player. It will not be used with a great screen or anything, neither will it be used with HT. It just a present for somebody. My budget is $150.00, give or take a little.

So what's the best bang of the buck for a new dvd player?

Aug 26, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 14
hmm, sony ns500v?
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
For real?? It looks like its a little bit out of my budget but I guess the minimum for a DVD player is around there. Am I right???

I think I've heard of people getting it for as little as $130, so it may not be out of your budget. I have it and can only give it a thumbs-up, even though I have only used it a few times for movies.

Aug 27, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 14
The Sony NS500V is actually out of production or very close to it. Stores are selling inventory at a very low price. I have one and it is an excellent player for the price. Look online or at local chains. I found them on sale at Best Buy one weekend for less than I could get online. At around $150 shipping and tax are about the same.

Aug 28, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 14
I can vouch for the fact that the picture quality is really very good, it handily beats my JVC 3 DVD player for picture quality, and you get awesome redbook playback and SACD to boot!

What are you sitting there for? Go get one!
cool.gif

Aug 29, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 14
I have a dedicated SACD player (the SCD-CE775), so I got Sony's new DVP-PQ1. I got it for several reasons: (1) it's cute (who said Sony doesn't have a sense of humour?); (2) it's semi-portable (I wouldn't move it while it's working, but it's small enough to take over to a friend's house on a moment's notice); (3) it plays DAD's without a TV screen (this is the biggest deal to me, because I don't have a TV in my bedroom). I haven't even unwrapped the remote yet.

Only connections it has is: digital audio out, video out, stereo audio out (all four are RCA jacks), and S-video out.

What can I say? I'm a separates guy.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 14
Question for the budget minded: Has anyone tried any of the other inexpensive DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD R/etc. players that are popping up all over???

I've been to several different Best Buys in the area recently (in search of the elusive Sony DVP-NS500) and have found a growing number of budget DVD players that also claim to play just about any type of media (except SACD). Yesterday, I saw an open box Sony DVP-NS315 for ~ $80. Was VERY tempted, but had not heard any reviews of the unit. They also had some Panasonic, JVC, and Toshiba players that were under $200 (even for progressive scan), with some more modest models just over $100.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bruce

Aug 30, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 14
From all the reviews I have read at audioreview, it seems to me that this sony player is mostly being used as a SACD player instead of a DVD player. Can this thing even play DVDs? LOL
biggrin.gif
, seriously, how good is the picture quality coming from this player?

Aug 30, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 14
I would say, having owned a dvd player (sony) for over 4 years, that this player has a solid picture quality rating, obviously not as good as your expensive progressive scan players, but what do you want for 150.00???

Aug 30, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 14
I've got an NS500V which I use for Redbook CD as well as DVD play. No problems with either. Hoping to try SACD's soon. I just wish that there were more hybrid SACD's, but most seem to be single-layer.

I am planning to get another DVD player and I am considering getting another NS500, or getting a multi-regional player like an Apex AD-800. Not that I have any PAL DVD's at the moment, but there are some movies and TV series only available (at the moment anyway) in PAL format. It would be cool to be able to play them here in the US. I am pretty sure that the Apex will decode the DVD and output for play on a standard NTSC television.

Aug 30, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
From all the reviews I have read at audioreview, it seems to me that this sony player is mostly being used as a SACD player instead of a DVD player. Can this thing even play DVDs? LOL
biggrin.gif
, seriously, how good is the picture quality coming from this player?

woah, it plays DVDs too? Sweeeeet.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back