Looking for a new cheap portable <50, Should I go with the JVC HAS400 or something else?
Apr 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spardasieg

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking around and am trying to decide if the JVC's would suit me, I usually take my Sennheiser HD25-1 out with me but at night well...my neighborhood isn't the greatest and I would like a portable pair that won't break the bank if stolen.

I am looking at these so far, was wondering if anyone has other suggestions:

JVC HAS400
Zoro Noontec(Look like Beats I know, don't care much what people think)
Sony XB400

I listen to mostly Rock and Hiphop but like the occasional Electronic, Classical, Funk music.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 11
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Genres are helpful, but ultimately we all value different presentations of our genres to a certain extent. Any sound preferences/sound signatures/characteristics you might be inclined towards? Comfort? Isolation? Build?

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 11
If I had to say, Warm but with not piercing highs(The Meelectronics HT-21 I own have these and I can't listen to half my music with them), I like a punchy bass but not overpowering the Meds/Highs, they can be fun sounding but I do like it more towards the accurate side, Comfort wise, light is always good, I don't mind ones that are tight or grippy. For Isolation as long as its not like a loud speaker near my ears its fine. Build qulaity, I am not expecting greatness from this price point, something that will withstand being folded up and thrown in a bag I guess.

Sorry, didn''t see that thread...my mistake
confused_face.gif

I am leaning towards the JVC HAS400 but the other two I listed seem rather nice also....so I am unsure, maybe I am missing something even better in that price range though? So many headphones, hard to keep track...

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
If I had to say, Warm but with not piercing highs(The Meelectronics HT-21 I own have these and I can't listen to half my music with them), I like a punchy bass but not overpowering the Meds/Highs, they can be fun sounding but I do like it more towards the accurate side, Comfort wise, light is always good, I don't mind ones that are tight or grippy. For Isolation as long as its not like a loud speaker near my ears its fine. Build qulaity, I am not expecting greatness from this price point, something that will withstand being folded up and thrown in a bag I guess.

Sorry, didn''t see that thread...my mistake
confused_face.gif

I am leaning towards the JVC HAS400 but the other two I listed seem rather nice also....so I am unsure, maybe I am missing something even better in that price range though? So many headphones, hard to keep track...

The JVCs do punch quite tightly, but when stock, the treble might get a bit grating. Definitely go read about the mods on the main thread, those guys have done some crazy nice stuff with theirs. Not sure about the Zoros but the XB400s were smooth albeit quite boomy. The form factor would be quite a bit less portable than the JVCs though, that's for sure.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 11
I see, I am reading through the thread now, its huge and kinda overwhelming, I might go with them though, the white ones are really nice looking for 25 dollar headphones. I am guessing the JVC's once fully burned in probably are more accurate the the XB400's? Not sure I am a fan of boomy but then again I never had a pair like that so it would be a new experience I suppose, love the lime green ones(XB400), I am a sucker for that color, looks come thirdly though, sound is first, form factor/build would be second, they all seem built ok though or fairly around the same quality wise...

Thanks for the advice and info, I will keep on the look out for other ones while I am at it around that price.

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 11
For portable use, you will be better off with IEM, especially with glasses. It will also provide much more isolation.
Vsonic VC02 is 49$ shipped on Ebay and it should suite you quite nicely.

If you insist on headphones, HA-S400 is a great choice, but you'll need to buy AKG K518DJ pads (8$ shipped on Ebay) for better comfort.

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Yeah I can't stand anything that goes inside my ears sadly, its terrible for me, tried many types.

How much better are those pads? This is them? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-For-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ccb681725

Apr 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Yeah I can't stand anything that goes inside my ears sadly, its terrible for me, tried many types.

How much better are those pads? This is them? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-For-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ccb681725

These are the ones. They are more comfortable and better sounding.
See the pad impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses/60#post_8730217

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 11
This sounds like a good combo, I think I will order the HAS400's and those pads shorty after if I feel its needed, nice to see decently priced pads for once also.

Thanks for the info!
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
This sounds like a good combo, I think I will order the HAS400's and those pads shorty after if I feel its needed, nice to see decently priced pads for once also.

Thanks for the info!
beerchug.gif

You are welcome!
I think you'll be happy with the sound of the default pads, the AKG ones are more for comfort. Or you might put the HM5 pads on top of the default pads, making this a portable with around-the-ears pads. They are heavenly comfortable, but you may get weird looks outside using such big pads with such small phone. Isolation and soundstage improve dramatically too.

I keep my HM5 pads on top of AKG pads all the time. Bought the O-rings to keep them from sliding.

2-5/8'' Rings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FASHION-RUBBER-RING-O-RING-BRACELET-3-16-CS-/140600476909

HM5 Pads:
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back