Looking for a new CD Source
Aug 12, 2004 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

limey

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for a new CD player (SACD/DVD-A would be a bonus) for a headphone only system.

I will have XP7 (on its way) and Meier Prehead (probably soon) as amps and my Senn 650's + Mobius cable and ER4-P/S.

Prefer a one box system, not seperate DAC and player.

I will have up to $1000 to spend - mainly listen to rock and jazz

Any recommendations?

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Limey,

I'd recommend holding off until you have spent some time with your incoming components to develop a baseline for comparison. You might find the combo of the Xp-7/Prehead and the Senns to be a bit staid for rock and jazz requiring a dry/analytical/dynamic player like an Arcam to offset the combo's warmth. However, you might be perfectly happy with the combo and choose to compliment the sound with, say, a Rotel RCD-1072 or one of the universal players.

With that said, my choice in the sub-$1000 range is the Jolida JD-100. Walter Liederman (Underwood Hifi on Audiogon) is right next door to you, I think, in Roswell and would probably allow an audition. I have no affiliation with him other then being a satisfied customer. I've owned one for a couple of years now and it does a great job on rock (radiohead, wilco, flaming lips) and jazz.

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Pick up a used Rega jupiter 2K.

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Go do a couple of searches for the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi and the Pioneer DV-868AVi. That is what I recommend to you. Universal DVD players are terrific one-box solutions for you to consider. The next couple of months will see a flurry of universal DVD players hitting the market at all price points. Hi-Rez formats are gearing up for more releases early next year. I think now is a great time to invest in a universal DVD player.

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 7
I picked up a used Meridian 508.20 for about your price and couldn't be happier. It's got awesome dynamics, incredible bass slam without any "boominess" and spits out discs immediately when you push the button (unlike every DVD/SACD playyer I've owned/demoed)
Downside is no SACD; Upside is awesome Redbook.
It was a floor model at a high end HT install service showroom.
It had a minor glitch and even though it was about seven years old, Meridian sent it back FedEx w/ no chg for repair or shipping.
Now that's the sh@t I'm talkin' 'bout!
I also own a Philips 963A which does offer SACD playback but no DVDA. It's pretty good @ Redbook, very good SACD playback, has a fantastic picture but (unmodded) it doesn't quite stand up to the Meridian.
CPW

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 7
I was in a very similar situation as you (see sig) and I picked up a Jolida JD100A. I've got absolutely no complaints about my choice. Well, SACD & DVD would be nice, but for Redbook I'm very very happy. True, I haven't heard other hi-fi sources, but I'm happy nonetheless
biggrin.gif

Just don't use those crappy stock tubes!

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Well the NAD C542 gets good reviews here and I certainly wouldn't swap mine in a hurry. If find it very good at controlled base. HDCD function is the real bonus, not quite SACD but certainly noticably better than standard redbook.

The Cambridge C640 is another fine player. It may have a slightly more apparent upper treble "clarity" but could be potentially a bit fatiguing depending on your cans.

Good luck deciding.

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back