Looking for a new amp? sound? dac?
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pvtjoker42

New Head-Fier
I've been long debating the "upgrade" to a Schiit Valhalla 2 for my Senn HD 650's.. But I'm just not sure it's worth the money currently. I have no issue with the price tag of the Vallhalla 2, I'm just not sure I'm gaining much.. Current setup is Schiit Modi Uber 2 from my PC, and into my HiFiMan EF2A. I swapped the standard tubes in the EF2A for some GE 5654's and been using those since. If I'm missing something or just dealing with covid quarantine retail therapy.. help a brother out. If there's a better amp option or dac/amp setup/combo I'm missing out on.. I wanna hear it.

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, I'm currently running a Jotunheim with a multibit card and occasionally using a Little Dot MKII as a tube buffer, and I'm looking hard at the Topping D90/A90 combo (also appealing as it could replace the pre/pro in my stereo setup and maybe get me a little cleaner sound there)... even though there's really nothing wrong with either setup as they stand. So I get it. The itch is real.

So far as actual advice? I mean, Schiit's return policy is reasonable, but I'd personally buy used and sell on if you don't feel it's a big upgrade, then you're just out the shipping costs in most cases.

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, I'm currently running a Jotunheim with a multibit card and occasionally using a Little Dot MKII as a tube buffer, and I'm looking hard at the Topping D90/A90 combo (also appealing as it could replace the pre/pro in my stereo setup and maybe get me a little cleaner sound there)... even though there's really nothing wrong with either setup as they stand. So I get it. The itch is real.

So far as actual advice? I mean, Schiit's return policy is reasonable, but I'd personally buy used and sell on if you don't feel it's a big upgrade, then you're just out the shipping costs in most cases.

I'd been looking at the Jotunheim as well, just to compare and replace 2 pieces on my desk for 1. Are you using a balanced cable? That's the other rabbit hole I haven't gone down yet for my 650's, mainly because of how my desk is setup, I'd need an 8-10ft balanced cable so the prices get a bit more out of hand easily. I could re-arrange my desk to use a shorter cable I suppose, but that'd be a day or 2's clean and reorg..

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd been looking at the Jotunheim as well, just to compare and replace 2 pieces on my desk for 1. Are you using a balanced cable? That's the other rabbit hole I haven't gone down yet for my 650's, mainly because of how my desk is setup, I'd need an 8-10ft balanced cable so the prices get a bit more out of hand easily. I could re-arrange my desk to use a shorter cable I suppose, but that'd be a day or 2's clean and reorg..

Yeah, I have balanced cables for all my headphones that can be run balanced (so everything but the X2HR and Q701).

My "nicest" cable is from CorpseCable, and if the 650's are your main set it's probably worth getting a nice cable, even at 2-3 times the cost. I'm not one that says cables alter sound, but it's much nicer to deal with and will last better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back