Looking for a network streamer
Jun 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yuhengtiger

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I normally listens to music at my office. I enjoy the convenience of using pc as music source. But I need better sound quality too.

So I am looking for a network streamer or any dac that can use usb hard drive directly or use pc/mac as input. 

I am considering marantz na8005. Anyone can give some comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

best,
Yuheng

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 5
So I am looking for a network streamer or any dac that can use usb hard drive directly or use pc/mac as input. 

If a DAC with headphone amp connected to your computer would do well, there are plenty of options.

What make/model headphones do you plan to use with it?

What are using now with your computer? Just the headphone jack?

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 5
If a DAC with headphone amp connected to your computer would do well, there are plenty of options.

What make/model headphones do you plan to use with it?

What are using now with your computer? Just the headphone jack?

Thanks for reply. I am now using wadia121's heaphone jack. I plan to use hifiman he6. It just arrived today and it feels a little bit heavy on my head...

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Sorry. I am not familiar with the wadia121. However, the HE-6 are very difficult to drive. I would want an amp with a lot of power for them. Not sure what that would be. Might be best to seek help in the HE-6 owners/discussion thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone

If you find the HE-6 too heavy, the HE-560s are a good bit lighter and easier to drive.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for reply. I am now using wadia121's heaphone jack. I plan to use hifiman he6. It just arrived today and it feels a little bit heavy on my head...

If there's no problem using the computer as a player then just keep it with the 121, and get an amp to drive the HE6 first before the network streamer. A network streamer will basically just double up the computer or the DAC, or both - what you have now already performs what that streamer will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back