Looking for a musical DT880 alternative
Dec 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

krc2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, looking for your ideas and recommendations!

On my second pair of DT880s (600ohm version) and I'm just trying my absolute best to love them. My first set was a set of Cardas recabled pair a few years ago, and they sounded great. After selling them (and unfortunately losing my listening notes), I gravitated back towards them. Paired up with an Apmerex 7308 tube in my Aune T1, I hoped to finally find sonic bliss. But alas, something's missing.

After a bit of time with my second set of DT880s, I realized the following:

- The DT880s are an amazing lense on music. However, I found myself analyzing all the different elements in a song, all the instruments and their placement, all the small details of the sounds separate from each other. It was too detailed for me to relax and enjoy.

- I felt like I was sitting in a hall listening to music, which seemed 'far away'. I like my sound to have width, but the soundstage was too much (I felt this way with the K701 too). 

- Their neutrality actually seems to detract from the 'fun' or 'emotion' of the music. 

- Midrange is very accurate, but I missed vocals that are right next to you and upfront.

- The sparkle in the high end (although probably accurately reproduced) fatigued me to nearly headache levels after listening for 20 minutes.

When I played with sources, the highs became more accurate, but still fatigued me. Experimented with different recordings (DT880s punish low quality!), different amps (vintage JVC solid state, Aune T1 + Amperex, Headstage Arrow, NAD)
The tube sound certainly warms things up a bit, but the mids didn't ever reach that lush close level I've been hunting for. Even starting experimenting with some minor EQ cuts in the treble, but starting to realize that it might just be the headphones themselves that need to change.

In the past, I've tried quite a few other headphones, but haven't found the right match yet!

- K701: actually really liked the midrange (AKG house?) sound, but music felt far away and otherwise not very emotionally engaging.
- K7XX: owned these before the DT880s. Had more bass and a more full sound than K701, but music still felt 'far away'.
- Various Grado: The s325 had a nice tone to it, but the highs were too much for me. Tried higher end (RS2e), but even then the highs didn't agree with me.
- Sennheiser HD650: when amped properly the midrange was actually really nice
- AKG K271: liked the midrange sound here too, but didnt like the closed cans feeling
- Shure 510: for some reason the IEMs caused tinitis symptoms to flare. No idea why, but I don't try them anymore.

All feedback and suggestions appreciated! 

Basically looking for something more engaging/fun/musical, up front and close (while still maintaining some space). Detail is of course important, but analytical detail is not the most important thing!
Open to both headphone and/or amp suggestions.

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 14
I haven't actually! How are they in comparison to the HD650?

I should add the type of music I listen to most:

Rnb / Pop
Electronic Chill
House
Drum n Bass

So mostly produced music, not a lot of live recording stuff.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 14
I've only briefly auditioned the HD650's and preferred the signature of the 600's on my rig, but couldn't give you a fair comparison. I use the HD600's mostly for Rock and its sub genres (about 75% of my library). Funny enough I use my DT880's for a lot of the genres you listed as I prefer the DT880 sound sig for chill out, acid jazz, new wave, house and trance. So... I guess I'd have to retract my suggestion now knowing the genres of music you listen to. The 600's are by fair my favourite can at the moment, but they lack in bass extension IMO to be REALLY good for those particular genres. Still worth an audition however. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 14
Sounds like you'd like some or all of the following:

- Sennheiser HD 600
- Sennheiser HD 650 - You briefly mentioned trying it, is there anything you didn't like about it?
- Audio Technica ATH-AD1000X - I've never listened to it myself but you might like it.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 14
HE400i

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 14
In my research for an entry into the world of high-end audio, I found most folk who didn't like the DT880 loved the HD600, and vice versa. I ended up going with the HD600, and have been deeply in love ever sense.

A good amp brings them to life like nothing else. The kind of sound you MUST relax to. It's a biological necessity. :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 14
In my research for an entry into the world of high-end audio, I found most folk who didn't like the DT880 loved the HD600, and vice versa. I ended up going with the HD600, and have been deeply in love ever sense.

A good amp brings them to life like nothing else. The kind of sound you MUST relax to. It's a biological necessity.
smily_headphones1.gif

What amp worked for you and the HD600s?

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 14
To bump this thread from ages ago, I'd just like to post an update:

The answer to my question turned out to be the HD650. Engaging, musical, unfatiguing, close. 
Thanks for help everyone!

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Just posted a review comparing the 880 and 600 among others. I like the 880 over the 600 in most areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back