Looking for a Home Inspection - how do I judge
Apr 26, 2006 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
We are considering buying the house we currently rent but we dont want to go too far into the process without knowing if there are any major problems with it.

So we want to set up a Home Inspection to find out what (if any) unknown problems exist. There seems to be no real legal oversight of Inspectors in PA but there are a few recognised "bodies" such as NAHI and ASHI - does membership of any of these make any real difference ? I almost passed the NACHI online test myself and I know nowt about home inspection
confused.gif

Does anybody know of a good Inspector in the Philadelphia/Delaware County area ?

Cheers

Jim

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Call your city or county inspector's office. I'm not sure which oversees building inspectors in Pennsylvania, but one or the other should have an office. You want the one that sends out inspectors to check for code compliance on construction and remodeling. They should be in the government pages in your phone book.

If those inspectors don't also do private inspections, they will know someone who does.

You can also ask your friends and co-workers to recommend a contractor in your area. The contractor will know some good inspectors.

Likewise, contact a reputable realtor's office. They will know some good inspectors, too.

And your local title insurance office will also know what inspectors are good.

Good luck with your (hopeful) purchase. Let us know how it goes.

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 3
If you know a good real estate agent, ask for referrals. There is potential for conflict of interest if you're using an agent to buy/sell and you go with the guy recommended by the agent. But since that's not the case for you, consulting an agent could be valuable.

Try googling. When I bought my first home several years ago, I found some articles online on how to shop around for home inspectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back