Looking for a higher end KSC-75 (good open phones!)
Jul 9, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 595

HD595 need to a good source + Bass Boost EQ
frown.gif

I think iPod can't drive it (even @ 50 ohm)

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR225's. Without a doubt.

Are the Grados comfortable? What about the 325i?

Also, are the HF1 still available? Or do I have to find someone selling these?

Jul 9, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vexeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Grados comfortable? What about the 325i?

Also, are the HF1 still available? Or do I have to find someone selling these?

Unfortunately the HF-1 have been out of production for quite some time. There was a limited production run strictly for Head-Fi members.

The SR-325i and the MS2i are made of course with relatively heavy aluminum housings(305gm vs 202gm for the plastigrados.)so the weight is a concern for a few listeners. Guesstimate that about 10 or 20% of the buyers have a problem with the weight.

I've had my MS2i for about ten months now and they are equally as comfortable as my HD600 since the bowl pads have softened up with age. I didn't really have a problem with them right from the get-go since I did have MS-1 before them, plus just for fun I did a weight test to see if I could handle the extra weight by adding 100gm of extra mass to the cans by the way of placing sockets on the height adjusters. So I was used to the extra heft before the MS2i arrived.

....I have since put the sockets back on the MS-1 because the cans are more stable with the extra weight!

Oh; and right after getting the MS2i I did a fourteen hour listening marathon!

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 41
Get the Goldring DR150. To me it sound quite close to the KSC75 but better overall and more refined. Very comfortable as long as you don't have a big head.

MS1 and SR225 are great choices but you won't get any soundstage from them and their bass is somewhat of a different flavor from the KSC75. Comfort is not so good but you'll get used to it.

HD595 sounds NOTHING like a KSC75.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595 need to a good source + Bass Boost EQ
frown.gif

I think iPod can't drive it (even @ 50 ohm)

Wrong! My iriver did a good job driving my 595.

BTW I think my D2000 sound quite like my ksc75 but with more low bass.

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vexeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any headphone that you might call an "upgrade" to the KSC-75s? I really like the open sound, so I was thinking something Sennheiser. I'd prefer a solid spectrum of sound (lows mids highs). I'm not good at explaining sound so yea...

For budget I'm gonna say $200-300. Comfort is important.

Thanks for any input!

With so many different answers, I don't know if one more is useful...

anyway, IMHO, the most "KSC75-upgrade" headphone I know is the Beyerdynamic DT880, a wonderful open-sounding headphone, for my tastes, one of the best balanced and musical headphone with the Sennheiser HD580.

good luck
Andrew

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #24 of 41
I have found the KSC-75 to have a full bass and the Beyer dt880 a bit bass light. Both are good headphones, but different voicing.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found the KSC-75 to have a full bass and the Beyer dt880 a bit bass light. Both are good headphones, but different voicing.

All headphones have different voicing compared to the KSC75 because they are different headphones.
wink.gif

I think DT880 is more "near" the KSC75, for sure compared to other proposal like Grados or similar wich, to my ears, sound totally different...
anyway, headfi is good beacause is so various... but I think that vexeus is more confused after his thread than before...
tongue.gif

Andrew

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 41
Sennheiser, HD580 maybe your choice. Also recommand ATH-AD series.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #28 of 41
Ugh. Koss A250 if you can find one... (when it was still in production - bargain of the century). Question, why are you looking for the same sound signature? You should try what else is available, there could be a sound that will just envelop you. And the a900 mentions - that headphone deserves far more credit than it gets. Very musical and full sounding can, especially with a neutral, or slightly warm amplifier.

To the person thinking his iRiver can drive hd595 - you have not heard a correctly driven hd595.

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To the person thinking his iRiver can drive hd595 - you have not heard a correctly driven hd595.

Ditto for the HD580 and DT880

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #30 of 41
Well I guess I'll add that in my opinion even Grado SR60 sounds nothing like a ksc75. KSC75 can actually play decently deep with bass for a price, and a crisp leading edge to notes, that nevertheless lays mostly in the lower treble/upper mids, unlike the sr60 which is a golden brick hitting you in the head across the entire treble spectrum up to 20 khz.

The headphone that description wise (I have no experience with dt880) sounds closest to my ears s the beyerdynamic dt880. From personal experience I think ath-a900 is not too far off, although a900 lacks some bite in the treble to be consider a ksc75 upgrade, it exists more in its own spectrum... (although adding a bright amplifier could lead to interesting results). Bass in a900 is really similar to ksc75 tonality - bit bloated, with nice but not excessive punch. A900 nevertheless does manage to reach fairly deep.

Those are just my opinions, I really recommend that the op tries a900 or dt880, just to get a sense of sound-staging headphones, as opposed to the Grado/Alessandro that is being recommended left and right.

On a side note: I listened to a few Grados, and am I the only one here that considers the amount of treble delivered just painful for rock? I own one of the brightest guitar amplifiers on the market, and that thing does not deliver as much harshness as sr225 does on recordings with treble recession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back