Looking for a higher end KSC-75 (good open phones!)
Jul 9, 2007 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

vexeus

New Head-Fier
About me:

I mostly listen to electronica. I started my headphone quest about a year ago with the Audio Technica ATH-A700s. Then I sorta sprung for the KSC-75s, UE Super.fi 5 EBs, and JVC Marshmallows all at once about 3-4 months ago. After hearing the KSC-75s I've decided that this is the sound I like the most out of all 4 of these headphones (I immediately grab them instead of any of the other 3). I definitely like the Super.fi 5 EBs the least (too much bass and too little of everything else). I thought I liked bass but those EBs are too much and really seem to drown out the rest of the music.

I just bought a 5.5g iPod with the intention of iModding it in the near future to go with the Xin SuperMicro IV (ordered Mar 8 and still waiting). Now I feel like I need to upgrade my headphones to go with the iMod / SMIV.

Is there any headphone that you might call an "upgrade" to the KSC-75s? I really like the open sound, so I was thinking something Sennheiser. I'd prefer a solid spectrum of sound (lows mids highs). I'm not good at explaining sound so yea...

For budget I'm gonna say $200-300. Comfort is important.

Thanks for any input!

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A series is closed (correct me if I'm wrong.)

The AD series are open.

That's right. The A series is closed, which I have, and I don't like it compared to the KSC-75s.

I'm going to look into the goldring.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS2i

X2 on that one! My MS-1 did a fine job of sounding much like an upgraded KSC75 for one third the price of MS2i, but I sure gotta admit that MS2i certainly fits the slot for $300!!

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 41
I should also have mentioned that comfort is important. I hear the Grados / Alessandros are sort of uncomfortable after some time? I tend to listen for several hours at a time.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on that one! My MS-1 did a fine job of sounding much like an upgraded KSC75 for one third the price of MS2i, but I sure gotta admit that MS2i certainly fits the slot for $300!!

MS2 is a good recommendation.

I'm going to recommend an HF1 however. It has more bass impact than the MS2, and pushes mids forward like the KSC.

Stay away from the HD600/580.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 41
"Is there any headphone that you might call an "upgrade" to the KSC-75s? I really like the open sound, so I was thinking something Sennheiser. I'd prefer a solid spectrum of sound (lows mids highs). I'm not good at explaining sound so yea..."

From my little experience, you want to stay away from Senns and lean more towards the Grado/Allesandro. My Senn 580s do not sound at all like my KSC75s, and my reading suggests this is also true of other Senns. The Grado 60s I have are in the same vein as the KSC75s.

I'm trying to decide myself what to upgrade to with comfort as an important consideration. My big head and glasses cause a problem. I'm looking at SR225, Allesandro MS-1 or 2, AT AD900, and Dennon D2000.

Mooch

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 41
I had the MS-1 (sold them) and didn't think it sounded anything like the KSC-75. The MS-1s were very bright to me with little bass. The bass on the KSC-75 while limited to upper bass primarily, are much stronger then the MS-1 even with the comfy pads. When I say that the MS-1s are bright, I mean they have a pronounced boost (at least to my ears) in the 2 to 7 khz range. The KSC-75 are much more relatively recessed in this range (not saying they are recessed like Senns) and have a sparkle at the higher freq. I can see why the MS-1s were designed for guitar players - that's the range that is emphasized. I'm a fan of the drums and the KSC-75 have much more oomph than the MS-1s. I too am still looking for an open phone upgrade. BTW, I do have the Mylarone X3 canal phones which I also really enjoy.

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vexeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any headphone that you might call an "upgrade" to the KSC-75s? ...
For budget I'm gonna say $200-300. Comfort is important.

Thanks for any input!

It looks like you're a portable guy using an amp. If so, the PK-1's are what you're looking for. Open, comfortable, in your price range, and a nice improvement from the Koss sound.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 41
SR225's. Without a doubt.

Jul 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 41
another vote for the HF 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back