Looking for a high quality Solid State amp.
Aug 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
But I don't want to go with the "budget" Chinese designed.  So this keeps Little Dot, Matrix, gd, and all the other guys out of the picture.

Preferably I want to go with a Japanese audio company, but those aren't always easy to get a hold of.

I just would like some ideas, please.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Excluding the Luxman amps I don't know of any Japanese solid-state amplifiers. There is the American made Schiit Audio Asgard that I adore with my He Audio HE-5LE's  

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Excluding the Luxman amps I don't know of any Japanese solid-state amplifiers. There is the American made Schiit Audio Asgard that I adore with my He Audio HE-5LE's  

Yeah, I'm aware of the Asgard.  Don't know if it's what I'm looking for based on impressions.  I also wanted to see if there's anything else out there that I might have missed.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 12
I don't know about you but the Matrix M-stage has one of the best craftsmanship I have seen in an amp. Just because it came out of China doesn't mean it is automatically bad. 
But whatever, Audio Technicha has their house amp but I can't remember the name.

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I don't know about you but the Matrix M-stage has one of the best craftsmanship I have seen in an amp. Just because it came out of China doesn't mean it is automatically bad. 
But whatever, Audio Technicha has their house amp but I can't remember the name.

I want to try something different.  I've had or listened to Chinese components since getting into this hobby (really popular on this forum).  

Quote:
What is your price range?

300 to 700 

I know it's a big range, but I want to know what my options are.

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

300 to 700 

I know it's a big range, but I want to know what my options are.

I hear you. I don't know anything in that range. But my advice is to buy at the upper range and be patient and look for a used unit that way the upper range of your budget when going used will really bring you further towards the 1K range of new units. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
I hear you. I don't know anything in that range. But my advice is to buy at the upper range and be patient and look for a used unit that way the upper range of your budget when going used will really bring you further towards the 1K range of new units. 

Good advice.  It's probably better to wait it out and get a top shelf item.  I just don't know if you can truly get a high quality amp for under 1000.

I'll wait another year if I don't find something I like.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 12
I would get a 1970's Marantz 2230/2238B/2245 for about $150 including S&H and the spend about $350 on a full re-cap and clean-up. Will surprise the heck out of you, plus you can use the speaker outs to drive an Stax energizer, speakers, or an AKG K100 or similar (HiFiMAN HE-6) using a pigtail. Good luck.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
But I don't want to go with the "budget" Chinese designed.  So this keeps Little Dot, Matrix, gd, and all the other guys out of the picture.

Preferably I want to go with a Japanese audio company, but those aren't always easy to get a hold of.

I just would like some ideas, please.

I'm using a Crown D-75A with my D7000's.  Crown recently moved the production of this model from the US to China, however, if that matters to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back