Looking for a High Quality Pair of Earbuds
Apr 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Nick15

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of IEM's for use with my computer and Droid X. I would like them to be around $80. I listen to rock and rap. No heavy metal and I don't listen to rap often at all. To be more specific, I listen to artists such as Nickelback, Green Day, The Beatles, AC/DC, and when I feel like rap I listen to Eminem. I've been looking around for awhile, but I don't have a clue what IEM's are good mostly because there are too many to sit and read reviews about; that's why I've come to you guys. Recommendations please?! 

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 29
Check Final Audio Design II
These are from Japan and are decent earbuds (not IEMs)

Tip: You can get it from Dimitri's store
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/pianoforte_II.html

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 29
The best earbuds I've heard are the Sennheiser MX580. They come in well below your price limit (currently $30 on Amazon). The MX 880, for $50, are supposed to be better, but I haven't heard them myself. 

You might also look at the Yuin line (PK2, PK3). 

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 29

Quote:
The best earbuds I've heard are the Sennheiser MX580. They come in well below your price limit (currently $30 on Amazon). The MX 880, for $50, are supposed to be better, but I haven't heard them myself. 

You might also look at the Yuin line (PK2, PK3). 

Those are looking good!! Thanks for the reply!

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 29
Anyone else have some recommendations?? What about the Sony MDR-E888LPs or the MEElectronics A151-BKs???? Anything good to say about those? They are slightly above my specified price range...but I'm willing to spend more for higher quality. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 29
Except A151s aren't earbuds... And if you say you don't know the difference between earbuds and IEMs and meant to ask recommendations for IEMs as well then there really isn't going to be a clear answer until you go read joker's multi-IEM reviews yourself. There are just way too many choices in your specified price range...

And if you are willing to spend more for higher quality... well are you willing to pay $200 more for that much better sound quality?
tongue.gif

I'd say E888s > A151s but they have been out of production for a few years now and anything you find may be KIRF ones, or generics/refurbished. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
Except A151s aren't earbuds... And if you say you don't know the difference between earbuds and IEMs and meant to ask recommendations for IEMs as well then there really isn't going to be a clear answer until you go read joker's multi-IEM reviews yourself. There are just way too many choices in your specified price range...

And if you are willing to spend more for higher quality... well are you willing to pay $200 more for that much better sound quality?
tongue.gif

I'd say E888s > A151s but they have been out of production for a few years now and anything you find may be KIRF ones, or generics/refurbished.

Let me first say, I am by know means an expert in anyway when I comes to headphones. All I know is how to use them and which ones sound better then others...
and that's why I came here. I know there are lots of choices in my price range so I figured there would be a few people on a forum for headphones that would know, out of all of those, which ones were a good pair of cheaper headphones. 

As for the price range, I originally said around 50 bucks, but then I said I'd be willing to spend more for higher quality.... Meaning maybe a 30-40 dollar price increase, so around $80-$90.. I originally didn't want a pair of headphones to be half as much as the Droid X  I'm going to be using them in most of the time, but I think if I could find something for $80 bucks they would serve me well for what they are.

With all that aside, you seem to know what your talking about on this subject....so maybe you can help me out. I read "Joker's multi-IEM" review, and I must say, he must have spend some time on it, but I am a little confused. From what I do know, an "IEM" stands for in ear monitor. I think what I'm stuck on is the difference between an IEM and and pair of actual ear buds, because as you stated right off the bat in your first paragraph there is a difference. So if you could help clear me up on that, it would be much appreciated.

Also, I had no idea the E888's were out of production! I found them on Amazon for $80 so I just assumed they were in production.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
From what I do know, an "IEM" stands for in ear monitor. I think what I'm stuck on is the difference between an IEM and and pair of actual ear buds, because as you stated right off the bat in your first paragraph there is a difference. So if you could help clear me up on that, it would be much appreciated.

Earbuds are your more typical headphones, like the standard ipod ones , that just sit in your ear and don't do much to block out outside noises.

IEM's are inserted deeper into ear to create a seal and block out outside noises. IEM's are generally preferred on this site but earbuds can be good for convenience as they can be put in and taken out much faster / easier  

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 29

Quote:

Earbuds are your more typical headphones, like the standard ipod ones , that just sit in your ear and don't do much to block out outside noises.

IEM's are inserted deeper into ear to create a seal and block out outside noises. IEM's are generally preferred on this site but earbuds can be good for convenience as they can be put in and taken out much faster / easier  

Thank you so much for that bit of info!!!!!!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 29
With that now cleared up thanks to Mr. chrisw142, I would like recommendations for a pair of IEM's that fall into the price range of $80 dollars or less. As I specified in the original post, they are going to be used with my Droid X and my laptop. I would prefer the 3.5mm jack to be a right angled one for easier use of the headphones in my Droid X while holding it horizontally. That is pretty much the main requests I have. Please don't hesitate to post your recommendations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 29
If you are not a bass head check the Etymotic ER6i. Very clear and detailed and do not need a lot of power to drive them. You could also look for an used pair of Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3.Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back