Looking For A Headphone...
Feb 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

prayer86

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I'm looking for a headphone that will do 80's hair metal and classic rock well. I know nothing really sounds like a Grado when it comes to rock music, but I'm hoping to find a similar sound that brings out guitars to the front of the mix.

Some criteria:
-I'm looking for something preferably below $100, but I might be willing to stretch it out to $150 if it is worth the extra dough.
-It must be closed/not leak sound. I want to use it both on the go and at home.
-Linked with the point above, portability is somewhat of an issue. As well, it needs to be adequately powered by an iPod without an amp.
-I do not need a lot of bass. I appreciate sweet mids and non-fatiguing (though PRESENT) highs. I think I would prefer an overly bright headphone as opposed to a darker/muddier headphone, especially for outside use.
-Soundstage isn't all that important, though some separation would be nice.

If I get the chance, I will take a test run with the headphones recommended (however, not many places around my area let people demo headphones before buying).

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Audio Technica ESW9A. Very portable, closed, comfortable, present mids and nice highs, good lows. Just a very nice complete sound, nothing glaring at you, no thin mids, no boomy bass, well rounded soung signature. They aren't as forward as the grados, but aren't laid back either, they will play well with most any genre of music. You can get them used on the for sale forums for about $150. Guess buy.com has them for $230 right now.

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys for the responses. I'm able to demo at least a few of the headphones recommended, though I have never seen an Ultrasone or a lot of the Audio Technicas (I would really like to know that I want a particular headphone if it comes down to ordering it online). I am actually very tempted by the Shure SRH840, but it is a little out of my price range ($199 here in BC). I've tried the Brainwavz H3 and liked what I heard.

Unfortunately, the Audio Technica ESW9A is a bit out of my price range. I would like to keep it to $150 or under.

I am also looking at the Shure 440 and the KRK 6400. I can get both for $99. I might give those a demo when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back