Looking for a headphone with these properties.
Nov 26, 2002 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

gloom

100+ Head-Fier
(Skip the first couple of paragraphs to reach the meat)

I got a pair of KSC-35 some months ago. Something about the sound captivated me: it was lively, dextrous, impactful, out-of-head. Its energy was unmatched, in my experience. I wrote a bunch about it. For a time, I was on cloud 9, confident that I'd found my one true love, and life was good.

Well, I'm back on the wheel. Discontent is the curse of our times, and of this hobby. So, I want a new headphone. Part of it is just a desire for new toys, the virus called "consumerism". I have a fatal aversion to money and must spend it constantly; why not on headphones, when music is the keystone of my life? I needn't justify it, to myself or anybody else, but this restlessness fascinates me and I enjoy the struggle to put it in words.

(begin meat)

Plainly and shortly, I want a headphone that builds on the character of the KSC-35. I want an open, out-of-head sound, a wide soundstage. At the same time, I want "slam" in spades (real depth isn't so important.) I want detail sans brightness. I want speed and urgency, the agility to resolve complicated, rapid pieces and force them to cohere. And I want the hardest thing to capture, the intangibles - the sense of fun, the urge to tap my foot, the silly grin I can't resist.

I've read reviews 'til my eyes bled, and now the shortlist looks like this:

- Grado SR-325
- Sony CD3000

In both cases I fear brightness, the hard edge that masquerades as detail, but slowly, insidiously, invidiously grows intolerable. Some years ago I owned an SR-325. Coming from the V700, it blew my mind, but I never really warmed to it, even with some hundred hours' break-in. It never lost its metallicity, and my memory is that its sound was very cold beside the KSC-35's organic warmth. I'd characterize its signature as 'mercilessly robotic' - it had everything except a soul.

Now, the CD3000 is tantalizing. It seems to offer precisely what I'd have, but there are murmurs in the background, accusations whispered in the shadows: funny Y-shaped sound stage, high incidence of ringing ears, and the dread brightness... I'm very worried, because the least harshness on the top end will turn me away - my ears are very sensitive. I may just get the CD3000 anyway, as nothing else looks to offer what I want. It's rather expensive to procure sound-unheard, but if I must, I will. But before I do...

What other headphones (if any) should I look at?

I listen to some orchestral pieces, some new age stuff, a little rock, and quite a bit of trance and dnb. I want the same character, described above, for all these genres.

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 26
Try Grado SR-225 with flat (Sennheiser) pads!

Much less bright than SR-325, thus a bit less detailed, but barely less energetic and at the same time much more neutral. Suits orchestral classical music very well! (Not to mention rock...) Benefits from an intensive (not necessarily overly long) burn-in. Great bass!

The SR-225 marks the end of my unconditional belief in Grado brightness.

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 26
Gloom, in my experience (and I love the KSC-35, as well) both the SR325 and the CD3000 are very bright -- too bright for me to listen for too long.

The KSC-35 are very distinct in their sonic character -- as you described, they're just... FUN.

The closest thing I've found to them in a full-size headphone are the Beyer DT770. The DT770 have that same sense of slam and cohesion, with good-but-not-bright detail.

The drawbacks to the DT770 -- they *require* a hefty amp, they can have a bit too much bass on some tracks, and they are closed rather than open. But they're sure fun
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 26
I think LTUCCI1924 is overcome with Audio-Technica fever recently (hey join the club why dont you), but he does have a point. I find the ATH-A100Ti and to a similar extent the ATH-A900 very 'clean sounding' and bright but less harsh and more bassy than the SR325, which I also had and got rid of with a sigh of relief. From the reviews the SR225 is supposed to sound darker than the SR325, but why go for a shoddily made open headphone with poor comfort when you can score an outstandingly comfortable closed headphone (which nevertheless sounds open) with outstanding construction quality for the same money?
My A1000 has been delayed apparently so LTUCCI1924 might have his earlier than me maybe if Audiocubes aren't telling lies about them having them in stock.

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 26
bangraman
HI: How are you? This is what audiocubes e-mailed me last night. We have the ATH-A1000 in stock but because of xmas we are back ordered and you will get them shipped very soon. So I sent then another e-mail today and said that is no way to do business and that I sold my ATH-A100ti because the site said that they will be shipping the ATH-A1000 on the 25th. Now I have no headphones.

Nov 27, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 26
Grado RS-1's if you like spending money.. :p

You can find them used for $400-450 which is about the same as new CD 3000's...

Biggie.

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 26
Lou, bummer.
frown.gif
Let's hope you get them before the New Year, or the Chinese New Year, or Baseball openening day, or....). i'd call them back and ask them what number you drew in their lottery - i mean you must've been the first guy to order them - so why aren't you the first guy to get them? ask them where you are on their list. if it's unreasonable tell your credit card company to put a hold on that charge - and that you'll release the hold when audiocubes says that they're ready to ship them to you.

anyone in South Philly who can lend Lou a pair of cans for awhile?

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #11 of 26
Take heart Lou, the longer you use cheap headphones the sweeter sounding those AT's will be when they finally come in and grace your skull with its embrace and your ears with those wonderful notes they will produce!!!

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by gloom

- Grado SR-325
- Sony CD3000

Your assessment is spot-on!

If you like ksc35, i think those two cans will be the big winner too.

I have the SR-325 and really, i dont know what the fuss is about it being too bright.. i dont found them bright at all.. tho the EMP probably curbed that problem. I havent heard the Sony CD3K but the glorious mid, warmness and saturation of the ksc35 reminds me very much of sony's sound in general. I wouldnt be surprised if the sony cd3k have similar characteristics to the ksc35. ksc35 is just awesome!

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 26
Gloom, don't forget about the MS-II.
With a good amp, its presentation is more neutral (less bright but its much more than that) than the 325.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 26
Perhaps the right tube amp would put the soul back in your 325s? I don't know, just a thought.

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 26
I am surprised nobody mentioned the HD-600s. I do not own the KSC-35s, but I own the Porta-Pros and the HD-600s, and I found their sound signature to be quite similar (with the Pro's lateral pressure set on "Light" to attenuate the mid-bass a bit). Of course, the HD-600s have a lot more detail, and they are just plain much better. But, I think if you like your KSC-35s, you'll love the HD-600s. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back