Looking for a headphone upgrade with very specific requests
Dec 24, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Happyprozak

Head-Fier
Ok I have a laundry list of things I *want* and I'm almost sure I won't get them all but here it goes.

Currently I have the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's. I've had these for a few years now and I think and they sound decent but I've never been blown away by the way they sound. Still the sound is good enough for me.

I have two problems with them though. My major problem is that they are uncomfortable, heavy, bulky and just plain ugly. I lust after Bose headphone designs. I love that the headphones are lightweight, stylish, and pretty low profile for full size cans. I hate their bloated bass though. The bass is so heavy I can't tell anything about the other sonic qualities. I might buy the headphones because of their 30 day guarantee and I'll try them out with the bass adjusted in the eq but I'm pretty sure I'll end up disappointed but you can't argue with their return policy.

Oh and I'll be using this mainly with a Macbook Pro and an iPod. So here is my list of things I want.
  1. A Macbook Pro and an iPod touch will be the limited factor. These will not be connected to an amp. In the future I may buy a second set of headphones with the intention to hook them up to an amp but not now.
  2. They should be lightweight, low-profile, and stylish. Most importantly they should be comfortable. Comfort is one of the areas I won't really compromise.
  3. I would like them to be noise canceling but this isn't a requirement. Open or closed is fine either way.
  4. Now this may sound like blasphamy to many of you here. But I'll take comfort over a better sounding headphone. If I can find something comparable to the low-profile look and size of the bose that sound as good as my HD-280's I would be very happy.
  5. My price limit is $300. Ok guys, I know I can get long-winded thankyou for reading! I'm looking foward to your recommendations.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 21
the HD 280's really need an amp to sound good, have you tried that?

as far as wanting the Bose headphones, I have to ask if you've ever heard good headphones, I mean really good headphones, because Bose headphones are probably the worst sounding (ok, SECOND worst sounding, after SkullCandy) pair you can do, especially for that kind of coin

comfort over all else, good styling, balanced sound, I'm thinking Sony MDR F-1, they also don't require an amplifier given that they're very low impedance and high sensitivity, give 'em a shot (they're also about $50-$100 under your limit)

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 21
How about a pair of Grados? They're fairly low profile, stylish (well, I think so), sound great, and are easily driven by a MacBook or iPod. Only thing is that people are divided on comfort. I can wear the RS-1 all day, no problem. They're light and the bowls are comfy after having been washed a few times. But some can't stand them. So... you might want to think about picking up a SR-60. They're the least expensive and you'll find out whether you find them comfortable and like the Grado sound. Also, they sell fast in the For Sale Forum, so you won't be stuck with them if you find them uncomfortable or want to upgrade.

Don't buy the Bose headphones. Just don't. They're awful, some of the worst audio gear I've listened to. I have some expensive stuff, but I think Apple's iBuds are OK and kinda like the Sony MDR-V6. I'm not that much of a snob, but I find Bose headphones unlistenable.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to? That'll help you get more recommendations.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 21
Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm. (130-200.00 US
Circumaural
Open Cans
You won't need an amp but if you add one later it will only make them better.

Pros:
Lightweight
Confortable
Durable
"fun"

Cons:

Open Cans. Not very noise cancelling.

Second Chioce would be Audio Technica ATH-A900 (200-299.00 US)
No Amp required
Circumaural
Closed cans (better noise cancelling)

Pros:
comfortable
Wide soundstage
decent bass

Cons:

A little big and the temple "Wings" take a little getting used to.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Circumaural
Open Cans

Pros:
Lightweight
Confortable
Durable
"fun"

Cons:

Second Chioce would be Audio Technica ATH-A900 (200-299.00 US)
No Amp required
Circumaural
Closed cans (better noise cancelling)

Pros:
comfortable
Wide soundstage
decent bass

Cons:

A little big and the temple "Wings" take a little getting used to.

I looked up both of these on Amazon and they weigh 10.2 and 12 oz
eek.gif

That's heavier than the HD 280's which I feel are already too heavy. I'm *hoping* that I can find a pair that doesn't make me look and feel like I have a helmet on. I would go for some IEM's but my ears simply refuse them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a pair of Grados? They're fairly low profile, stylish (well, I think so), sound great, and are easily driven by a MacBook or iPod. Only thing is that people are divided on comfort. I can wear the RS-1 all day, no problem. They're light and the bowls are comfy after having been washed a few times. But some can't stand them. So... you might want to think about picking up a SR-60. They're the least expensive and you'll find out whether you find them comfortable and like the Grado sound. Also, they sell fast in the For Sale Forum, so you won't be stuck with them if you find them uncomfortable or want to upgrade.

Don't buy the Bose headphones. Just don't. They're awful, some of the worst audio gear I've listened to. I have some expensive stuff, but I think Apple's iBuds are OK and kinda like the Sony MDR-V6. I'm not that much of a snob, but I find Bose headphones unlistenable.

Also, what kind of music do you listen to? That'll help you get more recommendations.

Yeah I've heard Grado's sound great but with as many complaints as I hear about their comfort I'm sure I'm going to find them uncomfortable. As for music, I listen to a pretty wide range of music. Classical, Jazz, New Age Instrumental, Punk, Rock etc. So I am looking for something versatile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD 280's really need an amp to sound good, have you tried that?

as far as wanting the Bose headphones, I have to ask if you've ever heard good headphones, I mean really good headphones, because Bose headphones are probably the worst sounding (ok, SECOND worst sounding, after SkullCandy) pair you can do, especially for that kind of coin

comfort over all else, good styling, balanced sound, I'm thinking Sony MDR F-1, they also don't require an amplifier given that they're very low impedance and high sensitivity, give 'em a shot (they're also about $50-$100 under your limit)

Honestly, the best headphones I've probably heard are the HD 280's unamped so I probably don't know what I'm missing. I have an Onkyo surround sound home receiver and I'm going to try and hook my HD 280's to them if I can find a way to hook things together. I'm not quite sure I have the right cords but I'll buy some.

I'm looking at the MDR F-1's and on amazon they are $300
eek.gif
still within my budget but they sure look ugly. Remember these will be used with an iPod so I have to be seen in public with them.
tongue.gif

I may just have to deal with having bigger headphones than I'd like but hopefully they can still be light-weight and comfortable.

Anyways I'm gonna put those MDR F-1's on my potential buy list and I'll shop around for price. I'm guessing they are a lot cheaper elsewhere or was the price you listed a mistake?

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 21
the F-1's aren't ugly imho

also, check AudioCubes.com - Japan's Best Kept Secrets, Delivered. or Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products for the F-1's, should save you $50-$100 (its legit, i'm not a sales bot)

they have a unique look to them, they aren't that huge, i've seen them in public, they dont really stand out, not that most people really pay attention (now, walk around with Grado's, you get stares (I know for a fact Grado's net you stares, been there, done that, its fun to watch people's reactions, especially older people who give youthe whole "i can hear it, you're ruining your hearing, i'm an authority" look))

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Quote:

Don't buy the Bose headphones. Just don't. They're awful, some of the worst audio gear I've listened to.

When did you last own a pair of Bose or Skullcandys?

Listening to headphones for a brief period, and testing them over a one year period are two separate things. There have been many headphones that i hated at the start but then grew to Like, Stax SR-001, Shure SE110, various AKG's for example. All i could have sent back, in the beginning, but i persisted with them. The Stax are the most balanced headphones i've ever had. But everyone has their own experiences i suppose!

Bose are very Bass, and mid dominated, and unlike some of my headphones, the sound staging is good. Some of the AKG's feel like the singer is screaming down my neck, which can be tiring at times. But like my AKG K518's the bass is constantly heavy, and sometimes you have to be in the mood for it, if you know what i mean.

I have to say i love my Bose OE headphones for their comfort and size. They are very portable, and for that reason I love using them outside of the house. I loved my Bose AE headphones but I bought them back in the day when they had a design fault (no more with the post 2005 designs). regardless of what some people say about detail and sound staging etc, after owning them for a year, and comparing them (OE) to the brilliant Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones, the Bose OE, on occasion picked out small details better than the HD25-1.

Anyway, The Grado comfort issue can be overcome to a certain degree by replacing the standard ear pads with the Sennheiser HD414 pads. Grado's are easy to drive, so it'll be no problem with your Macbook (speaking as an iMac owner)

think about the Denon ah-d1000/d1001's as well. they're light, very, very conformable, well built, and i thought the bass on them was better than the SR60's, although we're not talking about gut thumping bass. The D1000/D1001 should have the same classical status as the SR60 IMHO. Brilliant headphones.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 21
a few suggestions. both are low priced

koss ur40. same drivers as koss ksc75 in a small headphone. very lightweight. great highs and mids, decent bass.

jvc has700. looks the same as bose. cushy and small, very isolating. decent sound after a good burn in

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Circumaural
Open Cans

Pros:
Lightweight
Confortable
Durable
"fun"

Cons:

Since when are the DT770s Open? Am I missing something here..because I'm pretty sure the are closed..

And yes, if comfort is a major factor, I've read that the most comfortable "portable" headphone would be the D1001k by a long shot. If you're going for looks, maybe the es7s? or esw9/esw10, not sure how you would like their comfort though as they are supaaural.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyprozak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. A Macbook Pro and an iPod touch will be the limited factor. These will not be connected to an amp. In the future I may buy a second set of headphones with the intention to hook them up to an amp but not now.
  2. They should be lightweight, low-profile, and stylish. Most importantly they should be comfortable. Comfort is one of the areas I won't really compromise.
  3. I would like them to be noise canceling but this isn't a requirement. Open or closed is fine either way.
  4. Now this may sound like blasphamy to many of you here. But I'll take comfort over a better sounding headphone. If I can find something comparable to the low-profile look and size of the bose that sound as good as my HD-280's I would be very happy.
  5. My price limit is $300. Ok guys, I know I can get long-winded thankyou for reading! I'm looking foward to your recommendations.

FWIR and IMO...

Your requirements and preferences clearly point to the D1001. However, be sure to spend some of that budget on getting it recabled; for example, you could have this done through Lawton Audio. And although not necessary, an appropriate amp would step up its performance. After all you are working with a $300 budget, and this could afford you a decent portable amp. I suggest reading and posting in the portable amp forum for help with selecting an amp.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

the F-1's aren't ugly imho

also, check AudioCubes.com - Japan's Best Kept Secrets, Delivered. or Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products for the F-1's, should save you $50-$100 (its legit, i'm not a sales bot)

they have a unique look to them, they aren't that huge, i've seen them in public, they dont really stand out, not that most people really pay attention (now, walk around with Grado's, you get stares (I know for a fact Grado's net you stares, been there, done that, its fun to watch people's reactions, especially older people who give youthe whole "i can hear it, you're ruining your hearing, i'm an authority" look))

X2, the MDR-F1 are not ugly! Gorgeous they are!
I had them on for 6 hours straight while studying something and I just forget them. No discomfort at all. Huge soundstage and mid-fi quality of music rendition.

They are however open type( more open than that you die!!) so you will hear the outside noise , and vice-versa.

I realised that I could lower the volume while listening to them and they sounded very good.

I made them listen to 2 of my friends and they went "Wow!!!!!" They are impressive and they create a nice sound experience.

regards,

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you last own a pair of Bose or Skullcandys?

i've used bose for a few hours in a single session, was pretty awful

have had a few different skullcandy 'phones, believe me, i'm not one to talk out of my ass

skullcandy phones i can personally say suck:

icon
skullcrusher
ti (these ones i've not had a ton of experience with, so sue me)

bose phones i can personally say suck:
triports

and @ 1time, when he's saying low profile, i'm thinking he has no idea what he's saying or wanting, to be quite blunt, he wants something that'll match his iphone, be trendy and look good for his pals, sound decent, not be overly fragile, and be comfy to wear around town, the F1's accomplish most, if not all of that, unless they dont suit his personal taste, looks wise (don't blame you, personally i like them, but I also think HD 580's are gorgeous as well)

the issue with going to d1001's, imho, is that you're dropping into a lower budget range than the op was eyeing (quality wise, because at the d1001 level, his hd 280's will be pretty competitive, yeah the 1001's do things differently, but they're very honestly on the same level, just my take (yes, i've used both of them, personally i found the 280's better, at least for my taste))

if you're gonna look at d1001's, its obligatory to suggest HA-RX900's and Q40's as well (JVC and M-Audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back