Looking for a headphone and a portable amp
Mar 10, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 41

Why in the world?  It's a half-step from Amazon around here already.

Because what billybob said is true. The majority buy, enjoy, and don't review. But I have come across members that run around 1 starring things for no good reason. The default display for a product category in the HEAD GEAR section is 'Highest Rated'. With so few reviews the 1 star hotheads skew the results. The best products should naturally rise to the top, but they don't. So this section is not nearly as useful as it could be if many more people reviewed. There should also be a weighting system for reviewers or reviews so the 'guy that hates everything except Koss' results can be given their correct value. More data=better results. Head-fi should be actively encouraging members to write reviews. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 41
  Have you read the reviews on head-fi? Those two 1 star reviews on Amazon are meaningless to me.

Why are you limiting yourself to a portable amp? Since you said you will use the DT990's primarily at home have you considered a Schiit stack for ~$200 and some good cheapish IEMs for your phone on the go that need no amp? If you must have a one-shot DAC/AMP solution for home and portable use maybe up your budget and look at the Oppo HA-2.

Good suggestion and also raises many questions in my head. So here we go.

What's the difference between DAC and Amplifier? I saw a couple of posts on this site like this one, http://www.head-fi.org/t/535812/difference-between-dac-and-amp and also by doing some browsing around, I think I understood the basic definition/functions of each but I want to know what would be difference when I'm using an Amp (Schiit) or a combination DAC/AMP (like the Oppo) with my iPhone or Mac?

I guess with my budget of $150, I really have two-three options from Schiit (from their website it looks like these are *truly* made here in the US?) - Vali and Magni, Magni 2 Uber. 

How are the Valis (hybrid tube amps?) compared to Magnis?

I see many amp types (like tube, power, op-amp, hybrid)and would like to know their pros/cons. Is there a page explaining just that in very simple terms?

I wish I had the money to buy Oppos.
frown.gif
 Looks really well made.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #18 of 41
A DAC is a digital to analog converter. Computers, tablets, mp3 players, phones--they all have DACs or you wouldn't be able to listen to the digital content.

An amp takes an analog input and provides power for speakers or headphones (depending on the type of amp). So a phone will have some kind of headphone amp coupled with its DAC.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 41
A DAC is a digital to analog converter. Computers, tablets, mp3 players, phones--they all have DACs or you wouldn't be able to listen to the digital content.

An amp takes an analog input and provides power for speakers or headphones (depending on the type of amp). So a phone will have some kind of headphone amp coupled with its DAC.

Ok it sounds like the phone has both DAC and an AMP and a computer will just have a DAC? Right?

Would this mean using either a DAC or an AMP or perhaps a combination of such devices would make the quality of the sound produced from my phone/Mac better?

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 41
Computer motherboard audio might have a built in headphone amp. Many internal sound cards do, but not all of them.

It could make your computer or phone sound better, depending on (a) whether you need a more powerful headphone amp and (b) whether the new DAC is of better quality than the implementation of the DAC in your devices.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #21 of 41
DT990's are nice cans. I don't think you will regret it if you blow your budget on a desktop DAC and amp for them now. You can get a closeout Schiit Modi DAC for $79, Magni 2 for $99, usb and rca cables on Amazon or Monoprice for a tenner. I'm happy with my usb Modi and don't feel the need to upgrade. The headphone out on your iPhone is pretty darn good as far as phones go, paired with the right IEMs you won't need an amp and won't have to spend a ton to enjoy music on the go or while sitting around spending zillions of hours here plotting your wallet's demise. 
biggrin.gif
 Um, I mean planning your well thought out portable rig. 

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #22 of 41
  DT990's are nice cans. I don't think you will regret it if you blow your budget on a desktop DAC and amp for them now. You can get a closeout Schiit Modi DAC for $79, Magni 2 for $99, usb and rca cables on Amazon or Monoprice for a tenner. I'm happy with my usb Modi and don't feel the need to upgrade. The headphone out on your iPhone is pretty darn good as far as phones go, paired with the right IEMs you won't need an amp and won't have to spend a ton to enjoy music on the go or while sitting around spending zillions of hours here plotting your wallet's demise. 
biggrin.gif
 Um, I mean planning your well thought out portable rig. 

Would I be able to drive those cans only with the Schiit Magni 2? And may be later I can add in the Modi.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 41
Came across this guy http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Digital-Audio-Converters/D1-24-Bit-DAC

Not sure if this is DAC only or both DAC and an AMP. Any experience? Would this drive the 250ohm 990s?

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #26 of 41
The output impedance is 10 Ohms, which is higher than I like, but that shouldn't be a problem with 250 Ohm headphones.

With this, it looks like the risk is pretty low:

The Audioengine Advantage: 30-day audition, free ground shipping, and no sales tax

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #27 of 41
If you're keen on the D1 take advantage of the audition. Bear in mind that the output impedance is high and will be undesirable if in the future you decide to pick up some more sensitive cans/IEMs, D1 outputs 12mw at 300 ohms. Magni 2 puts out 260mw at 300 ohms and has output impedance of less than 0.2 ohms. Sensitivity of DT990 250 ohm is 96db @ 1mw so one would think that 12mw is plenty but I'm not so sure. You won't be driving them continuously at >12mw that the D1 can supply but the dynamics of the music can benefit from the extra power overhead. Even very sensitive IEMs that I own sound better amped. Food for thought. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #28 of 41
Yes, you are right. I might go with Magni 2. I also compared Magni specs with FiiO.

FiiO E12Magni 2
Drive ability16~300 Ω (recommend) 
Output Power>880 mW (32 Ω/THD<1%)Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel

THD+N<0.003% (1 kHz)<0.003%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS

Frequency Response20 Hz~20 kHzFrequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB

Input Sensitivity4.45 V (GAIN=L) 
 710 mW (GAIN=H) 
MAX input Level>8 Vrms 
Crosstalk>65 dB-70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Gain>0 dB (GAIN=L)Gain: 1.5 (3db) or 6 (15.6db), selectable via rear switch
 >16 dB (GAIN=H) 
Bass Boost Range5 dB (BASS ON) 
Peak Output Voltage15 Vp-p 
Output Impedance<0.3 ΩLess than 0.2 ohms

SNR>110 dBGreater than 102db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS

MAX output Current170 mA 
Channel imbalance<0.5 dB 
  Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, 
  constant feedback through audio band, Class AB, DC coupled throughout

I'd be curious to know what would the output power of FiiO E12 at 300Ohm. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back