Looking for a headphone amp...
Oct 31, 2006 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Skierxx5556

New Head-Fier
Hey guys im relatively new to this but have been looking for a rather inexpensive but good headphone amp. I would like to get something with tubes as I have never done anything with them and would like to get to know them. I would say that my budget is no more than $100 and I dont mind buying used or off ebay...

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 15
what headphones do you have? People seem to like cmoys or little dot IIs from e-bay. the dots are tubes.....but I think they go for slightly over $100....check into that.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 15
Then I'd probably go for a cmoy....something cheap. You can get something else when you find out what kind of headphones you like. Many rock headphones, like Grados, are easier to drive.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 15
e-bay is the way to go. There's a few guys on there that are continually selling their cmoys. They have a high seller rating.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 15
really i would suggest saving that money and getting a decent can, and then later getting an amp. But if your going to get a cheap amp then i would suggest a pa2v2. $60 shipped.

theres also a millett in the FS for 100 shipped, deff a deal.
-greg

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 15
Phergus25 is right suggesting the PA2V2. then pair it up with some Koss (75/sportapro/portapro) cans. You will have a cheap but very good can that will sound good by itself for portable use, and even better when amped. Check out the FS forums for some good deals. The people here trade/sale constantly and keep their equipment in good order and are very honest.

take care, Ed.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 15
If you're willing to stretch a few dollars, I've seen some of the original Musical Fidelity X-Cans go around the $120-$130 mark. Those are pretty decent.

While it doesn't get a whole lot of love around here, you might want to take a look at the Creek OBH-11. They turn up used at $100 or less fairly often. It's not the best amp out there, but it is pretty good. I started out with one of those and I rather liked it.

I'd still have it, but I passed it along to my brother-in-law who seems quite happy with it.

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 15
Get a PA2V2 and a pair of MS1 and you'll be in business.

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I can only comment about the ones I have heard but I have had good results with the following in the sub $100 range

PA2V2 www.electric-avenues.com

CMoy (via ebay) many variants

Portable Pimeta (discontinued - may find on used)
and lately

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-headpho...QQcmdZViewItem

Of these I could not say I have a personal favourite.

If you decide on the PA2V2 talk to the builder (Gary Ali) about "gain" the
PA2V2 is a stunningly little powerful amp and with some low impedance headphones it is very very loud even at minimal settings, but the builder can adjust this and Gary Ali's support is unimpeachable.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 15
As most people do at first when they begin to get into Hi-Fi, I think you are approaching this from the wrong angle. Most people buy good headphones, then they realize they need an amp, so they buy an amp, then realize they need a better source. After that they spend money on silver cables.

First, start with a source and cables, then an amp, then headphones/speakers. That being said, I'm really happy with my Little Dot Micro+ and my silver cables. Look on eBay for "Little Dot Micro".

Try the amp with your current headphones first, then go for the gusto, and if you need new cans, pick up some new ones. I might reccomend some Beyerdynamic DT770s they should have a familier sound to you if you listen to sony headphones.

After that, if you feel like it, pick up some silver cables from wherever is local to you, I bought supplies to make some from qables because I'm in Europe. If you build them, remember: Think three times, test fit twice, solder once. Silver cables make the diference. I was suprised when I switched out the gold tipped copper cables for gold tipped silver ones.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Hide your credit cards now. Honest.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skierxx5556
Where can I get some MS1's? Can they still be had new or do I have to get them used?

Here for new ones:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

You can also check out the for sale/trade subforum for a used pair but they only seem to pop up a couple times a month there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back