Looking for a headphone amp+dac in the 2'000$ range
Jul 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

m0gwai

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I decided it was time to get a proper headphone rig, I ordered a pair of LCD-2 with an ALO cable, placed on order for Smyth realiser A8 since I split my time between music and movies and now I need a proper DAC/headphone amp to go with that setup.

I did my homework and looked around and I must say the amount of DACs is overwhelming, but what I'm the most concerned about is getting something where I won't use most of the functions.

The antelope Zodiac + is on my short list of options but it seems I won't be using most of it's features some I'm wondering if it will be worth it.

In the end all I need is an spdif IN and headphone out, so I would rather spend 2k on something great that will do only what I need, than spending 2k on something average where I won't be using most of the functions or maybe I don't even need to spend that much, I'm a noob so you tell me :)

Any advice is appreciated!

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 2
Have you considered separates? I'd put quite a bit of that towards a proper amp.

The DAC isn't as important. Bad ones sound bad, but good ones are tough to tell apart. The amp will play a much more important part in the final sound.

I'd look through the LCD2 amp thread and find out what owners prefer. Then get whatever decent DAC that fits your budget after.

Also, I'm not keen on the all-in-one boxes. Models become trendy for awhile and then they lose a lot of value when the next trendy one comes out. Resale isn't good. But amps tend to hold value fairly well, especially if you buy used. Probably buy a used DAC, too, one that's a generation behind. Something a couple years old will be nicely depreciated and sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back