Looking for a great pair headphones for "fast" music, details inside.
Oct 23, 2015 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Eurobeat

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

So this is my 3rd thread in regards to trying to find a pair of headphones.

I would link up the last threads, but I figure that might be too confusing, so I will stick to some key points from those topics here.

The first thread I created I wanted a pair of headphones that was great for fast music, had some treble (a little bright), great soundstage, etc.

I got a few recommendations, but mainly came down to the Yamaha MT220s, which I couldn't find anywhere to rent/return, and the Pioneer HRM-7's which I ended up buying, and disliking, so they got returned.

The second thread was talking about how I felt that the headphones were "too bright" and my ears were hurting/the music pierced my ears.

So I started talking about finding a pair that was better in regards to "less treble" and talking to someone in a Grado thread they mentioned my music is more "V-Shaped" and Is hould look for a pair like that.

After discussing with a few more people, we've come to new conclusions.

1.  It wasn't actually the treble/high frequencies that was hurting me, but apparently it was the 2khz to 6khz frequencies that were bothering me.  Member @goodyfresh said that this range affects everyone.

2.  The second thread was giving me a lot of "warmer" headphones, and my music is definitely "brought to life" with treble/brightness."  I'm not sure exactly how bright they should be, but I definitely think I should have some.  When turning of "Realtek's "  "MaxxTreble" it "brightens" and "brings my music to life."  One user mentioned that speakers are different then headphones, so I should make sure I do want a brighter pair, but I would assume that the sound produced from the speakers, with the settings on and off would give me an indication of what I like.  Since I like it on, and turned up, I like it with more treble, than if "MaxxTreble" was off.

3.  It seems bass is a big thing in my headphones, but I'm personally not a big bass lover.  I like nice bass, but nt "overwhelming" bass.

So what am I looking for?

1.  I'm looking for a pair of headphones around 300$ or so, but willing to spend more if there's something I "must get."

2.  I'm looking for a pair of headphones that handle "fast" paced music.  Apparently a lot of headphones, especially warmer ones, are suited for "slower" music, and faster music doesn't do well on a lot of pairs of headphones.

3.  I want a lot of soundstage, as my music relies sometimes heavily on that, but soundstage shouldn't be more important than overall sound/sound-impact.

4.  I am mainly inside, so closed/open doesn't matter to me, but a lot of people seem to recommend closed headphones, and someone made a comment closed headphones handle "fast" music better, but not sure if that's the case.  Overall either will do as I'm 95% inside at my desk.

5.  When I was given a choice of "sound-signature options" the ones that stuck with me were "Dynamic, engaging, fun, exciting"  So that's what I feel I'm looking for.  My music is very engaging, very exciting, makes you want to move, with a lot of energy.  A lot of them are related with cars and "going fast," so it's a lot of "Adreneline pumping" with the music I like to.  

I still feel that I enjoy brighter headphones, and I would like some nice bass, but I am scared of the piercing sounds, but if that's from that 2-6khz range, then I want something that recesses that, and keeps it in check, so my ears don't hurt, especially since I like to turn my music up, but I don't listen at "max volume."

Here is some of the music I listen to, to hopefully give a better idea.

Again, fast paced, dynamic, engaging, exciting, and overall just high energy, heart pumping amazingness :).

If you are giving me a recommendation please at least listen to my music, as I get my best information from people who listen and understand the "elements of the music."

anything from this OST, the song below is a remix from the album

Lately I've been listing a lot of this group called "Ninja Sex Party..."  Their music is a bit different from what's above....

All of the songs below, and including this one, will be "less important" than what's above, as I find that they will have different sounds, but maybe it doesn't matter for my wants?

This song I had on repeat for like 2 days from 22 seconds to about 2:20.

This is the song I found out about "Ninja Sex Party" from...  "Starbomb"

These are some songs I listed in my last thread, not too sure what they fully are, but worth a listen as well :p

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02237
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03232
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03184
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYqsLPtqAk
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9-1D2vu76_A
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02135
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_wkal5g10
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFZXRqvLVUE
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWrWCDHz7NY
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S82CEJb52M
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ma1yWxwKPc
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bVyDhWsytg
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png
UrlAdvisorGoodImage.png

FWIW I don't have anywhere near my to audition headphones.  The only places I found that rent headphones are Livesoundwave.com and TheCableCo.com

If there is something I should try from there, let me know please :).

So that's about it...  Any comments, questions, or whatever please post.  Hopefully will find some HPs to try out, and get a better idea about what I'm looking for in the end :).

Thanks all for your time!

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 44
Any good headphones in this price range will benefit from a good source and amp, so I hope you have one already.  With that being said, the HiFiMan HE-400 is the first headphone that came to mind.  You may want to find a dedicated HE-400 thread here on Head-Fi, and ask the users there to listen to some of the music you posted and share their thoughts on it.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 44
Just buy something you can return... 3 threads is enough. You just need to try things.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 44
  Any good headphones in this price range will benefit from a good source and amp, so I hope you have one already.  With that being said, the HiFiMan HE-400 is the first headphone that came to mind.  You may want to find a dedicated HE-400 thread here on Head-Fi, and ask the users there to listen to some of the music you posted and share their thoughts on it.

Thanks.  Someone recommended the HE 400i, any differences between the 2?

I'll check out that thread, thanks :).

I will be buying the amp/dac separately, but from what I've been told it's best to find the Headphones FIRST, and then the "extras" I should get after :)?

Just buy something you can return... 3 threads is enough. You just need to try things.

AS I mentioned first thread got me to the HRM-7's being no good, but not knowing why they weren't good, besides thinking "harsh treble"

The second thread gave me a ton of warmer headphones whihc I had a feeling wouldn't do good for me.  Besides also comments from @obobskivich or @Rhamnetin  saying I should look for a "Fast" headphone.

I just don't want another HRM-7 mistake, and the hassle of going through returns and such....

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 44

Thanks.  Someone recommended the HE 400i, any differences between the 2?

I'll check out that thread, thanks :).

I will be buying the amp/dac separately, but from what I've been told it's best to find the Headphones FIRST, and then the "extras" I should get after :)?

Yeah definitely get the headphones first.  The HE-400 is said to be easy to drive and sounds good out of anything, granted I never tried it myself.

The HE-400i is a completely different headphone.  This one I have heard.  It isn't a particularly exciting headphone, treble response is more on the laid back side (although not as much as say the Sennheiser HD 600).  I think you want more more treble energy than this, but the treble has to be well articulated at the same time to avoid them sounding too bright.

There is also the HE-400S, but I haven't a clue how it sounds.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 44

Yeah definitely get the headphones first.  The HE-400 is said to be easy to drive and sounds good out of anything, granted I never tried it myself.

The HE-400i is a completely different headphone.  This one I have heard.  It isn't a particularly exciting headphone, treble response is more on the laid back side (although not as much as say the Sennheiser HD 600).  I think you want more more treble energy than this, but the treble has to be well articulated at the same time to avoid them sounding too bright.

There is also the HE-400S, but I haven't a clue how it sounds.

Thanks.  I went to look for the HE400 in at the Cable Co and they didn't have it, just the 400s and 400i.  It seems the 400 is discontinued, orin low quantity.  I found one on amazon, but it's 500$... 

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HE400-HiFiMan-HE-400-Headphones/dp/B007ZG32I4

HOWEVER there are used pairs for 250$, and it's fulfilled by Amazon, so that should mean I should be able to return them...

I also found this thread  http://www.head-fi.org/t/777736/hifiman-he400s-vs-he400i-vs-he400

Not much detail vs the HE400 though...

Also, I believe you were the one who listened to a lot of my songs in the last thread, and gave me the comments about needing a "fast pair?"  I also thought you had given another Headphone recommendation, but that again might have all been @obobskivich....

I put more songs up top though if you want another listen :D.....

Thanks though :).

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 44
I would absolutely recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO for the sound you are looking for.  They are aggressive, exciting, impressive in every way.  They are bright too.  Some find them too bright (I do with some recordings, but use EQ for that, which they respond brilliantly to).  You may fine they are just perfect.  Please go try them..

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 44
  I would absolutely recommend the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO for the sound you are looking for.  They are aggressive, exciting, impressive in every way.  They are bright too.  Some find them too bright (I do with some recordings, but use EQ for that, which they respond brilliantly to).  You may fine they are just perfect.  Please go try them..

Thanks, I've gotten a few BD recommendations, I shoudl check them out.  The only issue is the "brightness" aspect, I hope they aren't too bright for me.  I'm not an EQ pro either... :frowning2:

I see them listed here http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-990-Premium-250-Ohm/dp/B00193FT26

Good price too!  I'm curious do I want 250 ohm "premium" "pro" or 32ohms?

I also am curious how they compare to the other BD models the 770 and the 880 or what is 1770?  I feel a few people recommended those too :).

thanks...

So many chouices >(.

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 44

Thanks, I've gotten a few BD recommendations, I shoudl check them out.  The only issue is the "brightness" aspect, I hope they aren't too bright for me.  I'm not an EQ pro either... :frowning2:

I see them listed here http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-990-Premium-250-Ohm/dp/B00193FT26

Good price too!  I'm curious do I want 250 ohm "premium" "pro" or 32ohms?

I also am curious how they compare to the other BD models the 770 and the 880 or what is 1770?  I feel a few people recommended those too :).

thanks...

So many chouices >(.

Well, the Premium and Pro are the same headphone but with different exterior build so you will pay lots more for the Premium yet not get any better sound.  The clamping force is greater on the Pro too, so if you have a very large head, consider that, although I can't imagine anyone not finding the DT990 PRO comfortable.

I picker up my DT990 pro 250ohm on ebay for just £65!!  They were in mint condition, only a month old!  They are truly the most value for money purchase I've ever made!

DT770 - Closed Back DT880 - Semi-Open, very neutral, bass light compared to the DT990, but flatter overall response, so not so harsh in the highs either.  DT990 - Open-Backed, great soundtstage, V-shaped sound signature (elavated bass and treble).  GREAT bass response for an open can.  Very forward treble, which might be irritating on some recordings.  You really need to try them for yourself to decide, but they are very exciting headphones to listen to.  The DT1770 are a studio made monitoring headphone, closed back that are amazing by all account and are an upgrade on every level to the DT770.  I haven't heard them but they are considerably more expensive than the 770/880/990s.

32ohms would be easier to drive but the 250ohms sound slightly better.  I would definitely consider used, as Beyerdynamics are very sturdily made and are made to withstand lots of use.

As far as EQ goes, you don't need to be an expert just to turn the higher frequencies a bit to your liking and although many purists don't agree with EQing (and I didn't myself for a long time, until I started producing music), I can tell you that using EQ has turned some headphones for me from ones I needed to get rid of to my favourites, so I advocate getting the sound YOU want from your headphones and not listening to others who don't have YOUR ears!

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 44
  Well, the Premium and Pro are the same headphone but with different exterior build so you will pay lots more for the Premium yet not get any better sound.  The clamping force is greater on the Pro too, so if you have a very large head, consider that, although I can't imagine anyone not finding the DT990 PRO comfortable.

I picker up my DT990 pro 250ohm on ebay for just £65!!  They were in mint condition, only a month old!  They are truly the most value for money purchase I've ever made!

DT770 - Closed Back DT880 - Semi-Open, very neutral, bass light compared to the DT990, but flatter overall response, so not so harsh in the highs either.  DT990 - Open-Backed, great soundtstage, V-shaped sound signature (elavated bass and treble).  GREAT bass response for an open can.  Very forward treble, which might be irritating on some recordings.  You really need to try them for yourself to decide, but they are very exciting headphones to listen to.  The DT1770 are a studio made monitoring headphone, closed back that are amazing by all account and are an upgrade on every level to the DT770.  I haven't heard them but they are considerably more expensive than the 770/880/990s.

32ohms would be easier to drive but the 250ohms sound slightly better.  I would definitely consider used, as Beyerdynamics are very sturdily made and are made to withstand lots of use.

As far as EQ goes, you don't need to be an expert just to turn the higher frequencies a bit to your liking and although many purists don't agree with EQing (and I didn't myself for a long time, until I started producing music), I can tell you that using EQ has turned some headphones for me from ones I needed to get rid of to my favourites, so I advocate getting the sound YOU want from your headphones and not listening to others who don't have YOUR ears!

hmm..  Thanks for the tips :).

Could you please listen to my music above and see if the 990 is too harsh at all for you in any of the songs?  Also let me know if you think this can handle the fast music as well?

I wonder if the 880 would be good, with less treble, but you said less bass too hmm...

Is the bass bloated at all?  I like treble, but too much might be an issue, but maybe it will take a lot.  Toomuch bass isn't good too...  I might just buy these and try them out.  Will post in the thread as wel.  Thanks a lot, and let me know what you think about my music with these HPs :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 44
Mr. Eurobeat, I second the recommendation for the Beyer. DT 1770's. While I haven't heard them yet, every review from super experienced members here has basically agreed it does these points well, which you were seeking: "headphones, with a great soundstage, a more "V-Shaped" headphone, but not heavy/bloated bass, and not too much piercing treble, but enough to brighten/liven up the music.". Here's the thread link if you want to join it.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 44
You can tell the OP put some effort into this thread.  Points for that.  
biggrin.gif

I'd be a bit surprised if you really want emphasized treble on many of those songs because I clicked on a few and I was begging my headphones for more mids. lol.

I think the DT990 is great overall.  It's not really that it's harsh, unless the song is encoded at a low bitrate or something, or if you underpower it.  The treble can pierce your ears, but from being strong, not harsh.  The bass and treble overpower the mids.  People who like V-shape like that.  I EQ them to be more balanced, sort of like the DT880. 

If you don't mind eq'ing them if the bass and treble are too strong, then there's not too much to worry about with getting one.  And it's not like the bass is just a big bassy mess. DT990 has fairly fast decay on notes, so they and resonances don't linger around like they do on some other headphones.  That's a double-edge sword since it can make them sound more analytical, but they're not excessively so like say an AKG 701.

You'll need a decent amp for the 250 ohm version.  I'd say, guesstimating, at least around 200mw@32 ohms power.  More would be better.  They sound "pretty good" out of my 100 or so mw sound card, but I'm not going to recommend that.

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 44
The DT990 250 ohm needs about ~125mW to reach 120dB peaks IIRC... so about 200mW into 250ohms would provide plenty of headroom for quiet tracks/sources/peace of mind.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 44
  Mr. Eurobeat, I second the recommendation for the Beyer. DT 1770's. While I haven't heard them yet, every review from super experienced members here has basically agreed it does these points well, which you were seeking: "headphones, with a great soundstage, a more "V-Shaped" headphone, but not heavy/bloated bass, and not too much piercing treble, but enough to brighten/liven up the music.". Here's the thread link if you want to join it.

Thanks, I believe you were the one who mentioned the DT1770's in the "Yamaha MT 220" thread.  Did you ever get a pair of those?  I didn't get one since I couldn't find a place to return them...  The DT1770s are a bit out of my price range though..

Thanks for the info though :).

You can tell the OP put some effort into this thread.  Points for that.  
biggrin.gif

I'd be a bit surprised if you really want emphasized treble on many of those songs because I clicked on a few and I was begging my headphones for more mids. lol.

I think the DT990 is great overall.  It's not really that it's harsh, unless the song is encoded at a low bitrate or something, or if you underpower it.  The treble can pierce your ears, but from being strong, not harsh.  The bass and treble overpower the mids.  People who like V-shape like that.  I EQ them to be more balanced, sort of like the DT880. 

If you don't mind eq'ing them if the bass and treble are too strong, then there's not too much to worry about with getting one.  And it's not like the bass is just a big bassy mess. DT990 has fairly fast decay on notes, so they and resonances don't linger around like they do on some other headphones.  That's a double-edge sword since it can make them sound more analytical, but they're not excessively so like say an AKG 701.

You'll need a decent amp for the 250 ohm version.  I'd say, guesstimating, at least around 200mw@32 ohms power.  More would be better.  They sound "pretty good" out of my 100 or so mw sound card, but I'm not going to recommend that.

Yessir, this is my third thread, and I'm trying to just figure out what I fully want.

What you say is exactly what someone in the Grado thread said.  He said that the songs themselves already have "emphasized treble."  You think I need emphasized mids?  Peopl say that they are very bassy, with treble, so that's "V-Shaped" right...??

Thanks for the comments about the DT990. Most of the songs I have are FLACs or high quality MP3's.  Not too sure about the VGM songs from OCremix, but I would assume they are HQ Mp3's.

From what you say the DT990's overpower the mids, but the mids is something you think the songs needed?  So confusing LOL....

I'm not sure if I like V-Shaped, or not...  It might be a bit risky LOL...  I know that I like the "Maxxtreble" and it livens and "Brightens" my music up, but that's with stereo settings on my 5.1 speakers, so that might just be what's going on behind the scenes with that, but there's is definitely a difference and I liked it with more treble, but too more definitely isn't good....

I don't know anything about EQing so that might be a problem...  I'm hoping to get something I wont have to EQ...  At least not much...

I hear "Fast decay" a lot and I'm not sure if that's the same as "Fast" which has been mentioned.  I guess the "Decay"; is the "sound decay" in a sense how fast it dampens/the sound stops being produced from the initial burst?

So "fast decay"; can be a bad thing.  Not too sure what "analytical" is exactly in "Headphone terms" but I've heard it used a lot lately...  People also recommended some AKG's to me as well.

I'm not sure what any of the power requirements mean tbh lol.  I guess I'll just figure out what I need when I get them.  I'm sure a lot of people have recommendations?

I was originally looking at the Aune T1 MK2, but not too sure about that now, and dpending on what I get...

The DT990 250 ohm needs about ~125mW to reach 120dB peaks IIRC... so about 200mW into 250ohms would provide plenty of headroom for quiet tracks/sources/peace of mind.

Engrish plz... :p

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 44
When choosing an amp for the DT990, make sure it has enough power. Specs are usually listed as ____mW into ________ohm load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back