looking for a good step up from dt770 pro's.
Jan 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 24
love my DT770 - I picked up a Xonar DG to pair with it.  And the difference is quite noticable.  I'm not longer looking to have my audio output jacked up to near 100% and the sound is overall richer/fuller.  And that was just with an entry level sound card.

I've the sounds I get out of them... i'm not a seasoned head-fi'er  but I wouldn't bother looking to upgrade your can's unless you've gone out and listened to a different pair that you enjoyed better then your current setup.  At least that's where I'm at now that I have my DT770's.  I may look to get a different set of open instead of closed, but I'll most likely go somewhere to listen to a could of different brands prior to making the buy.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
Wanting more bass than the dt770s is nuts to me, as they already have tons, but personal preference I suppose. The 770s are great phones, most people complain about the bass over powering the recessed mids from what I've read, but if that's what you like then perfect. A headphone amp with give you more bass, and enhance the sound however I haven't notice any difference going from my laptop sound card and iPhone to a fii0 e11. Just don't let the term high end make you believe they're going to sound like the 770s but better. The higher up you go typically the flatter the frequency response.

I think the 770s are great for you needs, and if you don't have a keen ear for subtle difference like myself a headphone amp will make a negligible difference. Don't know about a DAC though as I haven't used one.

I've been getting more and more interested with the dt770 especially the darth beyers..
How do these compare to the dt990? I haven't heard much about the 990 as I do with the 770.
I just hope I won't be unimpressed with the dt770 coming from the Pro 900's.
Maybe I should get something that is positively a step above the Pro 900's...something with slightly darker highs, even bigger soundstage, and more sub-bass.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 24
Yes, the D2000 or the pro900 are probably the best choice if you want better bass quality than the DT770. The pro900 require an amp to really shine, the D2000 is more efficient. Technically speaking, the pro900 is better imo but the D2000 is a better all rounder.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #19 of 24
I would have recommended the PRO 900s as well but it will be tough to find a new pair in the $250-$300 range. Occasionally you will see them around $325, so not too far off. The PRO 750s have a similar sound to the 900s IMO. But if you can find the 900s at a good price, I would go with them.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I've been getting more and more interested with the dt770 especially the darth beyers..
How do these compare to the dt990? I haven't heard much about the 990 as I do with the 770.
I just hope I won't be unimpressed with the dt770 coming from the Pro 900's.
Maybe I should get something that is positively a step above the Pro 900's...something with slightly darker highs, even bigger soundstage, and more sub-bass.

Other than possibly Darth Beyers, I don't know if such a thing even exists.  Something like say, an LCD-2/3 is supposed to be a better headphone overall, but won't have as much bass.  Pretty much every other one in the top tier is going to be even more balanced in frequency response.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

The DT990 is basically like an open version of the DT770 (not Darth, I do not know what those sound like). It has similar treble, clearer but still recessed mids, and also emphasized, but different bass (more mid- than sub-bass - the 770 peaks at about 40 Hz, while the 990 at about 100 Hz; also the 770 has an upper bass/lower mids dip at 210 Hz, as shown on the graph on the previous page).

Quote:

Something like say, an LCD-2/3 is supposed to be a better headphone overall, but won't have as much bass.

These respond well to equalization, though, and unlike most dynamic headphones, will handle loud bass with low distortion.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 24
hey guys, thanks for the replies, I think my last question would be this. Would it be smarter to go with the e9 and d5 off of my computer. Or go with just the e7, as I have been hearing that with low impedance headphones the d5 and e9 make them extremely loud, as I have stated before the volume I get straight off my iphone/hp stock soundcard is more than enough for me. What I am really looking for here is better sound quality in mostly the mids and deep bass.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #23 of 24
Just using the E9 for now will make the headphones sound better.
you could always add the E7s replacement in the future, The E17.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #24 of 24
Or just get the E17 without the E9. It does not cost much more than the E9 with a low end DAC, and you get a better DAC, more functionality, and an amplifier that is well suited for your headphones. Do not expect a huge improvement, though, it will not fundamentally change how the headphones sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back