looking for a good step up from dt770 pro's.
Jan 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Tier One

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of dt770s the 80 ohm version, I like them a lot but have nothing to compare them to since it is my first "high quality" headphone. Im really still new to high end audio and such so I'm not 100% sure on what im looking for. I would like my next pair to have more bass but still have rich highs, I would also prefer a low impedance pair because I do not own an amp. I would be using them in my house so I don't have a preference between open or closed backs but it seems like open backs would have a weaker bass but I have no idea. The only pair that I have really looked at is the denon ah-d2000 which I do think suit most of my needs but again the only things I have listened to are my dt770s and like apple ear buds. I am open to most suggestions and the most I am looking to spend is about 250-300 dollars for the headphones and an amp if needed as I don't have an amp or DAC.

On the other side of things, is it a better idea to get an amp/dac combo at around 150-200 instead and use it with the dt770s (keep in mind I have the 80 ohm version) instead of getting a whole new pair of headphones? Also I have never had an amp so I am trying to stay away from tube amps as I have no idea what tube rolling is or anything about tube amps for that matter.

Please leave suggestions for amps/headphones for me any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zack

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 24
also to mention, I listen to a wide range of music, mostly Rap (mac miller and wiz) also dubstep/electro (skrillex and flux)

the dt770s I also use for gaming so my plan would be just to use them with dolby headphone over my tritton decoder because of their amazing soundstage and use my next pair for mostly desktop listening through my computer.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 24
Ciao, 

Which soundcard you currently own? assuming you plug the headphones to your pc. 

Also, do you want to stay on the Beyer's line? 

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 24
hey zack
Congratulations on your beyers - a great headphone - currently listening to my 880s giving my hd650 senns a break - dont like to forget them.

as to your question
well done for including ideas of what you want and a price - many posters forget these along with usual listening music.

as im more of a senn sound person im going to leave upgrade options to others better able to do so - plus all of the denon guys out there.

i thought i would jump in with the amp/dac questions and the tube amp.

Quote:
On the other side of things, is it a better idea to get an amp/dac combo at around 150-200 instead and use it with the dt770s (keep in mind I have the 80 ohm version) instead of getting a whole new pair of headphones? Also I have never had an amp so I am trying to stay away from tube amps as I have no idea what tube rolling is or anything about tube amps for that matter.

When i first got my beyers i happened to be also upgrading my soundcard in my computer at the same time and ended up buying an asus stx - which comes with a good headphone amp inside
I immediately noticed a better quality coming from my beyers than through the basic soundcard - more so than when i was using my ipod
so i definately think you would benefit with an amp.

As for the whole solid state vs tube amp -theres a wealth of imformation on these forums as well as other audio forums
so make sure you do your research - however for a first amp - you shouldnt be scared to go for a tube amp - but your right it is easier to stick with Solid state.

im using a Fiio e9+e7 for my laptop and i use the e7 when im portable - so that is a simple option and would be within your price range - again check the various reviews here and elsewhere - but this combo is very user friendly and a great entry level bit of kit.

Good luck in your quest.

some questions for you
1) as i stated above - what are your musical tastes?
2) what is your source - a pc or a portable player - or a standalone - Turntable or other?

theses should also help other people reply to you.

EDIT - Cancel the last bit as you have answered since i started typing.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 24
I think the Ultrasone Pro 750s would be a decent fit for your description and music taste. The S-Logic takes a little getting used to at first, but I personally love the 750s. One of my go to's for electro. Look around and you may find a deal too, I ended up finding them new on Amazon for about $225.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 24
Thanks for the replies, to answer some questions, I am currently just running straight off my hp's stock sound card and just straight off my iphone when on the go. I don't have too much cash right now so I am thinking of just sticking with the 770's and getting an amp/dac combo. I am thinking the e7/e9 so I can use the e7 when not at home. But I do have the 80 ohm version of the 770s and have heard an amp will be no help in my case which I believe since the loudest I can go on my phone is about a pinky width from max volume any louder and the highs are painful. So in that case I would just go with a dac like the e7. But if the amp will help the audio quality in ways besides volume please let me know!

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 24
If you are running them straight off your computer then getting almost any amp should help considerably.  Getting something with more quality bass than the DT-770 Pro 80-ohm is pretty much an impossible task.  The headphones that have more in pure quantity like the XB-500/700 and LP2 are sidegrades or downgrades.  The Pro 900 will have similar quantity, but it flips the balance from sub-bass to mid-bass.  The Denons will have a similar amount of mid-bass, but less sub-bass, so it will be less bassy overall.  Getting better amplification than just a computer headphone output should definitely be the first priority, as without it the DT-770 will be underpowered and you won't even be getting the bass potential that it already has.  The E9 drives my 250-ohm DT-770 just fine, so the 80-ohm would be even easier to drive.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
If you are running them straight off your computer then getting almost any amp should help considerably.  Getting something with more quality bass than the DT-770 Pro 80-ohm is pretty much an impossible task.  The headphones that have more in pure quantity like the XB-500/700 and LP2 are sidegrades or downgrades.  The Pro 900 will have similar quantity, but it flips the balance from sub-bass to mid-bass.  The Denons will have a similar amount of mid-bass, but less sub-bass, so it will be less bassy overall.  Getting better amplification than just a computer headphone output should definitely be the first priority, as without it the DT-770 will be underpowered and you won't even be getting the bass potential that it already has.  The E9 drives my 250-ohm DT-770 just fine, so the 80-ohm would be even easier to drive.

so do you think I would be ok with just getting the e9 and not the e7 to play off my computer and ipod because at least to my ears the highs and my mids in my dt770s are perfect but I dont know if that is what the e7 improves on.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

One person says that the Pro 900 and DT770 have equal sub-bass. The Pro 900 has better highs and I'd definitely consider these an upgrade.
I love my Pro 900 and feel no need for something better. The only thing I'm going to do next is to get a ZO2 for more bass.

You should definitely give these a shot.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 24
Without a decent headphone amplifier the DT770 Pro 80-Ohms are not being used to their potential, bass is muddy without a headphone amplifier.
Fiio E9 and maybe a Fiio DAC ($25) like the D3 or D5.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 24
I'd suggest getting a new headphone, like the ah-d2000.
But if you want to save some cash and go the DAC/Amp route right now...

Get the Fiio e10.
It is a DAC & Amp in one. It pairs really well with my Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm.
If you're looking for more bass, the e10's bass boost is just what you're looking for. It gives the 770's an extra punch and thump!

It is similar to the e7, yet it has a better DAC & Amp.
However, the e10 is not portable, it must connect to your computer via USB.

Down the line, you can upgrade the amp to a Fiio e9 (you would attach the e9 to the e10, using the e10's DAC, and e9's amp).
This is what I did, and it sounds great (for the price that is).

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Eh, my ears tell me, and graphs show that the DT-770 has more sub-bass.

Note that this is the frequency response of the (now discontinued) 2005 edition of the DT770, the "Pro" ones - which are more similar to the old pre-2005 design - have different bass. This is a graph I created using the 250Ω version, presumably the 80Ω I do not have has more bass, but should be similar; due to the limitations of the testing method, the treble is completely wrong, but that is not relevant here. The bass roll-off shown is partly due to the microphone, so it is less in reality. Note also that the bass response depends on how good the seal is, for example even wearing glasses would reduce it. For comparison here is an old graph from Stereoplay that looks somewhat similar to mine.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 24
Wanting more bass than the dt770s is nuts to me, as they already have tons, but personal preference I suppose. The 770s are great phones, most people complain about the bass over powering the recessed mids from what I've read, but if that's what you like then perfect. A headphone amp with give you more bass, and enhance the sound however I haven't notice any difference going from my laptop sound card and iPhone to a fii0 e11. Just don't let the term high end make you believe they're going to sound like the 770s but better. The higher up you go typically the flatter the frequency response.

I think the 770s are great for you needs, and if you don't have a keen ear for subtle difference like myself a headphone amp will make a negligible difference. Don't know about a DAC though as I haven't used one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back