Looking for a good pair of portable headphones. Any help?
Dec 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Cykull

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm just starting to get into all this "audiophile" stuff, so bare with me. I'm always listening to music, but one thing I hate is when I'm hearing everything but my music. I'm looking for portable headphones that have great sound (the way music was intended to sound) and aren't a hassel to carry/wear around. Anything above $200 is out of my range. I listen to Electronic/Dance music the most, along with some Classic Rock and a little Metal. I don't know much about the bass, mids, highs, etc. I just want the music to sound clear and crisp where ever I am or go, Noise-Cancelling is a feature I want in my headphones. Hear are some headphones I was looking at:

The problem I have with these is that they look too chunky to be going out with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MOC28/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AT5HPYEEN9G2E
ir

I found out these are "discontinued" and every place I look only ships the newer models which aren't as good.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC7-ATHANC7-Noise-cancelling-Headphones/dp/B000OMKR8E/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1291998261&sr=1-4
ir

Help?!

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 25
I just started looking into portable headphones too, but one thing everyone will tell you is headphones with "Noise Canceling" features usually have lower sound quality, and that with good enough isolation you don't need the Noise Canceling technology anyway. This should open up a lot more options for you.

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 25
The DT 770-Pro's are 80 Ohm headphones, and I would say if you got them, you would probably want an amp, which would be at least 100$. 

I'm not a Beyer expert, but I think the Non-pro version is available in a 32 ohm version.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 25
The problem I have right now is that I bought the Clip+ before finding out about amps. In the future I'll upgrade to the Sansa Fuze with an amp. So, I guess I'll be getting the DT 770-PRO's until I upgrade. Also, if I'm going to be using the DT 770-PRO's with my Clip+ will I need an adapter? Or would it be a waste of money?

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 25
The Clip+ into a small amp like an E5, then into the Beyers would probably improve your experience a little bit over just Clip->Beyers, until you save up money for a real amp.

Again, I'm no huge expert like lots of the people here, maybe if we just keep discussing, someone will notice. :D

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 25
I was looking into getting an E5 amp, but I alot of reviews on Amazon were saying that it really doesn't do much aside from higher volumes. Any help is appreciated. lol

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 25
Well, I mean to use as a sort of purgatory, just to give them some volume until you can get a nicer amp.

EDIT: what about M50's? They are cheaper, and you could get a Sansa Fuze with the money you save.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 25
Wow, I must've missed the M50's when I was searching. I like that they are collapsible and I don't have to worry about buying an adapter. I'm leaning towards these now and saving money too. Thanks!

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 25
If nothing else, since you are kind of new to this, it's a cheaper place to start and build some opinions/experience so when you want to upgrade, you will know what you want.

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 25
Yeah, the seem to be exactly what I'm looking for right now in the price range. Great design, sound, isolation, and portability. Plus, no amp...for now. Do you a place where I can find the Fuze cheaper than $87? I'm doing most of my shopping from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back