Looking for a good pair of IEMs/canal phone < 90
Nov 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

davidr2287

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Im looking for a good pair of IEM's/canal phones that are less than $90. I will mainly use the for casual listening through my archos pmp player and for the occasional jog. I like to listen to mainly spanish rock/pop and english rock, alternative, all at mid to high volumes (mainly high) . What phones would you recommend to someone who likes to listen to those type of genres at high volumes. I prefer the bass to be average or a bit above average depending on the song. Right now im leaning towards the Ultimate ears super. fi 3 mainly because of the good posts i seen written about them here and because they are currently $49 at radio shack. Anything phones out there that you guys know of that are within that price range and that offer the same or superior sound quaility than the Ultimate ears super.fi 3?

P.S: for those who have the super. fi 3, would you say that for $50 they are the best "bang" for the buck?

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 9
I am using the xtrememac FS1 with the FutureSonics MG5 driver. They are just fantastic, even at the lowest volume you get full bass and the mids and highs are great! At work, I have my volume at 10% and it is still fine!!! The SQ in my opinion is great, I have previously used the Shure E2c and Ety ER-6i, neither of which I liked!

You could go the FutureSonics Atrio at $199 but why do that when you can get close to them with the FS1 at well under $90!

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 9
I suggest the Altec-Lansing IM616s, available for around $80 at several e-tailers. I just got a pair, and they sound great (with foamies). Better than Ety er6/6i, which I owned and sold.

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 9
I enjoy my super.fi 3's, but would describe them as a bit light in the bass department. I guess they tend to be geared more towards classical than rock.

You say you want to jog with these? If you've jogged with IEM's before, then forget what I'm about to say, but I think that jogging would be unpleasant at best with the super.fi's in. I find even just walking with them to be somewhat uncomfortable--my footseps tend to be rather "pounding" in my ears. It's not as bad with the foam earpieces, but still noticable, and the foam would not stand up to sweat very long.

Also, it's worth considering the noise isolation factor. If you're going to be wandering around essentially wearing earplugs, you'll want to be extra vigilant of what's going on around you. I've narrowly missed getting hit by cars a few times, simply because I couldn't hear them coming.

Anyway, just some thoughts, take them or leave them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back