Looking for a good first amp
Aug 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shortfuze

Head-Fier
I am new to all of this so bear with me. I just got my um3x's in the mail and am noticing they are lacking something. They don't seem to have all of the sound. I'm guessing the little power out of my 120gb iPod classic just isn't cutting it. I'm looking for a good (or best) first amp. I had my heart set on the iBasso D10 but I'm now second guessing my choice. It seems like a low powered amp. I like the idea of all the options it offers for future growth. I have plans within the month to get an iMod and vcap dock so I'd like something that works great along those lines. Price is negotiable. It doesn't have to be cheap but let's stay reasonable. Power wise is the Toucan a better choice? I like the USB option so I can listen through my pc at times.

I listen to mostly rock but also jazz, classical piano, and some pop. I'd like to get a few good suggestions that I can look into. I will hopefully be buying within the week.

And thank you all for dragging me into the depths of where my wallet will soon be empty. I can already see where this hobby is gonna take me.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I guess I should say that my budget is about $400-500 for something good. I'd like to pick up a set of full size cans too so something that be strong enough for both.

If you are OK with the size, battery life, and price, I would look into the Lisa III. It will drive all your headphones pretty well, and is the only portable amp that comes close to home amps. They are coming out with a newer, smaller version soon. It costs about $600. For less than that, you should consider the iQube.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 6
ibasso p3+heron  is a great amp with plenty of power and rollable opamps and buffers 

Quote:
I am new to all of this so bear with me. I just got my um3x's in the mail and am noticing they are lacking something. They don't seem to have all of the sound. I'm guessing the little power out of my 120gb iPod classic just isn't cutting it. I'm looking for a good (or best) first amp. I had my heart set on the iBasso D10 but I'm now second guessing my choice. It seems like a low powered amp. I like the idea of all the options it offers for future growth. I have plans within the month to get an iMod and vcap dock so I'd like something that works great along those lines. Price is negotiable. It doesn't have to be cheap but let's stay reasonable. Power wise is the Toucan a better choice? I like the USB option so I can listen through my pc at times.

I listen to mostly rock but also jazz, classical piano, and some pop. I'd like to get a few good suggestions that I can look into. I will hopefully be buying within the week.

And thank you all for dragging me into the depths of where my wallet will soon be empty. I can already see where this hobby is gonna take me.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I love the Lisa III, but I don't like that it only connects thru rcas. That would br great for home use but kinda bulks up the portability. I may be leaning towards RSA now. The seem to have some very good reviews here.

On a side note, I'm listening to the um3x's now. I've noticed I have to have the volume on my iPod almost all the way up to get any upper end out of em which brings in distortion. I hope this will all go away once they have the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back