Looking for a good desktop DAC/AMP with 4.4mm out
Mar 1, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 17
Bumping an old thread as I’m on the hunt for the same. There’s also the iFi Zen DAC and Topping DX7 Pro. Looking for something primarily for IEMs and it seems like there’s a lack of options. Are there any others?
What's wrong with those two for IEM's? I doubt you'd hear hiss. I use IEM's with desktop amps all the time and have no issues.

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 17
What's wrong with those two for IEM's? I doubt you'd hear hiss. I use IEM's with desktop amps all the time and have no issues.
The Topping has high output impedance (4.7ohm on SE and 9.4 on balanced), so not ideal for sensitive IEMs. I’d prefer MQA support as a Tidal subscriber, though not a deal breaker if it checks all the other boxes. Zen DAC is entry level and doesn’t give anything more than just using my my DAPs in DAC mode (actually less output power than both HiBy R5 and FiiO M15).

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 17
the wa11 topaz has a pentaconn out and can be used as a transportable/desktop dac/amp. IDK about IEMs but i got to spend quite some time with one at last year's NYC canjam and it sounded incredible with the z1rs, which I've heard on other setups since and did not find all that appealing. Also tried with hd800 and utopias and both sounded fantastic to me.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 17
Drop has a DAC/AMP stack coming up I think it has a 4.4mm
Capturekjh.PNG

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 17
Bumping an old thread as I’m on the hunt for the same. There’s also the iFi Zen DAC and Topping DX7 Pro. Looking for something primarily for IEMs and it seems like there’s a lack of options. Are there any others?
My two cents, get a DAP that comes with the 4.4mm balanced headphone jack, that can also function as the USB DAC.
I'm guessing the output impedance would be very low, for the 4.4mm headphone jack, on a DAP.
IEMs are usually very easy to drive, so no real need for a powerful desktop DAC/amp.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 17
The Topping has high output impedance (4.7ohm on SE and 9.4 on balanced), so not ideal for sensitive IEMs. I’d prefer MQA support as a Tidal subscriber, though not a deal breaker if it checks all the other boxes. Zen DAC is entry level and doesn’t give anything more than just using my my DAPs in DAC mode (actually less output power than both HiBy R5 and FiiO M15).
I really doubt a full desktop DAC/amp, will drive your IEMs, better than a DAP.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 17
Bumping an old thread here.

I'm kinda in the same boat.. looking for an amp/dac solution, something with several headphone outputs where one has to be 4.4 and i also like the possibility to switch between them via a button and not having to fiddle with the connectors if i want to switch around. The only options i've come across so far are the Teac UD 505 and the Sony TA-ZH1ES.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 17
I have the Topping A50s/D50s stack and i really enjoy it.

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 17
Out of curiosity, using adapters for your headphone is not an option? I'm using an amp that only has XLR out and use an adapter with my Forza cable, which works like a charm. Would definitely expand your search area a lot instead of clinging to a specific 4.4mm out (or a variation of outputs for that matter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back