Looking for a good CD Transport/Player (~$500) to use with external DAC
May 19, 2013 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

akart

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks, 

I have a Meier Audio Concerto hooked up to a Meier StageDAC. The DAC receives its input from a COAX coming from my Macbook Pro (through M2Tech HiFace). I usually play lossless FLACs and AIFFs on my computer.

I am planning to get a CD transport/player, just for convenience and I don't want to use the CD player on my laptop to play audio CDs. I am looking for recommendations for a dedicated transport or a CD player (I am planning to use only the DIGITAL COAX OUT and hook it up to the SageDAC).

My budget is around $500.

I was considering the Marantz CD5004/Oppo BDP-103. Some say that the Marantz drive is not up to the mark ...

Thanks in advance for the help!

May 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 12
This sucks. I was about to buy it. It is also not available on amazon.com. Any ideas where they might have it in stock?

May 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 12
If I didn't change my mind about CDs and going with a digital transport with the Aune S1, I would've gotten the Little Dot CDP and a simple "straight" (form factor) DAC behind it and the headphone amp.

Oh man I totally forgot about these guys. That S10 and S12 look phenominal...

Not off the wall on price either...Hmmm.

May 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 12
The S12 transport looks quite nice, not so sure about that S10 DAC - seems kind of "meh" for the price. I'm usually not a fan of big enclosures that are half empty. And a 3Vrms output on the RCA jacks.... why so high? That could cause some issues. 

Anyway, back to the original question - the Parasound Zcd is a good choice, as it the Pro-Ject linked above. I'd also check for used players at Audiogon and the other sites. You can often find a great deal, with used players selling for under your target price when their original price was $1k or more. 

EDIT - forgot to say - Little Dot has a new CD player coming soon, looks fairly upscale with a top loading transport. But the current one, linked to above, is not recommended. Too slow loading discs and responding to controls. Too bad, as it would seem like a very nice choice if not for those issues. 

May 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 12
The S12 transport looks quite nice, not so sure about that S10 DAC - seems kind of "meh" for the price. I'm usually not a fan of big enclosures that are half empty. And a 3Vrms output on the RCA jacks.... why so high? That could cause some issues. 

Anyway, back to the original question - the Parasound Zcd is a good choice, as it the Pro-Ject linked above. I'd also check for used players at Audiogon and the other sites. You can often find a great deal, with used players selling for under your target price when their original price was $1k or more. 

EDIT - forgot to say - Little Dot has a new CD player coming soon, looks fairly upscale with a top loading transport. But the current one, linked to above, is not recommended. Too slow loading discs and responding to controls. Too bad, as it would seem like a very nice choice if not for those issues. 

I meant purely looks wise. :)

You're right though. Some of that seems odd.

May 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 12
So - folks,

ERC-2s are apparently still available in factory certified condition from Emotiva (got an email from one of their sales reps). I just ordered one for $400 ($50 off the MSRP). The ERC2 has been discontinued and they are coming out with the next version, although the sales rep said that the price and the date of release are not yet known.

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back