looking for a good CD player
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

28v10a

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys. any recommendation. mid-end CDP.

PRICE RANGE FROM REGA APOLLO TO NAIM CD5X..

older model is welcome too..

Genre: all type of music. from pop to classical depending on mOOd

Thanks so much..
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 16
So your price range is from $1000 to $3250? There's a crapload of CDPs that fall in this price range, so you're going to have to be more specific, as in what kind of sound you prefer, features you're looking for, whether it needs to be balanced or not, and if you have a preference towards tubes or solid-state (or don't care).

HiWire recently bought the Arcam FMJ CD36, I currently own the Arcam FMJ CD33. The Arcam sound, based on what I've found, is conservatively cool-sounding, but very refined and graceful. Articulate and agile, with good bass rhythm and extension. However, it could be said to be bass-light as it doesn't have much quantity and favors speed & definition over authority.

I used to own the Ayre CX-7e but ultimately tossed it for the key reason I found its sound too integrated (as opposed to separated). I wrote an impressions thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ayr...ssions-253500/

I've also heard the Primare CD31 and McIntosh CD31, both of which I've written about here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/aud...e-cd31-273223/ and here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/aud...e-cd31-239534/

I also previously owned Audio Aero's 2005 Prima and tossed it due to some operational issues I had with it, along with the fact it uses miniature tubes (sonically they didn't work for me, and tubes ultimately don't have longevity either). But it did sound very nice, it just wasn't the kind of sound for me. But for a "hybrid" sound (the tubes are only in the analog output stage, there's a solid-state front-end), the Prima sounded excellent.

There are many more CDPs I haven't heard that have received rave reviews, or lots of consumer press, recently. Cambridge Audio's Azur 840C, Raysonic's CD128, Marantz SA-11S1, etc. Also thanks to sites like Audiogon, you can get CDPs that normally would fall over your budget for a smashing deal.

For further research of CD players I suggest going to AudioReview, Audiogon, and Audio Asylum, where you'll find lots more info on digital sources.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 16
You might want to check out any used eXemplar modified decks. I have $1900 into an eXemplar modded Denon 2900 and it's by far the best digital front end that I've spent any time with. I'm blissfully happy with it.
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many more CDPs I haven't heard that have received rave reviews, or lots of consumer press, recently. Cambridge Audio's Azur 840C, Raysonic's CD128, Marantz SA-11S1, etc. Also thanks to sites like Audiogon, you can get CDPs that normally would fall over your budget for a smashing deal.

For further research of CD players I suggest going to AudioReview, Audiogon, and Audio Asylum, where you'll find lots more info on digital sources.

i agree.

if buying used, you have a lot of choices. also as mentioned, at head-fi stand alone CDPs are more the exception than the norm, so other forums will probably be more helpful, have more active discussion, for research purposes.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #6 of 16
Asr;3529629 said:
So your price range is from $1000 to $3250? There's a crapload of CDPs that fall in this price range, so you're going to have to be more specific, as in what kind of sound you prefer, features you're looking for, whether it needs to be balanced or not, and if you have a preference towards tubes or solid-state (or don't care).

ASR Have you heard the Consonance cd120 by Opera and if so what are your impressions?

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't think Consonance/Opera Audio are distributed in Canada. I'll post listening impressions of a few players when I'm not sick... I have heard the dCS Paganini, NAD M5, Simaudio MOON SuperNova, and Accuphase DP-75 recently. I ended up getting the Arcam FMJ CD36... all the players had fairly obvious characteristics in an extended comparison, while the Arcam's sound appealed to me most over several auditions (over the course of about 2 years).

I passed on listening to the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C, Rega Saturn, and Audio Aero players... I was aiming higher (starting with the dCS as reference) and wanted to hear the other players more. Also, the Arcam is real purty, in an elegantly understated way.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Musical Fidelity kW SACD. Very good. Organic yet highly resolving. Both solid state and tube output. the software is a bit slow though.

F. Lo

isn't this player single ended only (no XLR outputs). if so, that's unacceptable at that price point (~$7000).

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Do consider seriously the Naim cd5x. It is so easily upgradable. With the addition of a additional power supply (eg a supercap), you'll find yourself with a new and better machine.

That's the route I went a couple of years ago and no regrets!

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 16
I just bought the Cambridge Audio 840C after comparing it to a couple other players (see my post for thoughts). The dealer also carries Rega and finds the 840C to be superior to both the Saturn and the Apollo. I have also recently had a Musical Fidelity TriVista 24 CD/SACD DAC, which, although very nice, did not retrieve detail anywhere close to the 840C.

For $1500, to get a fully balanced CDP with this kind of sound quality is amazing. We truely live in great times!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back