Looking for a good AMP+DAC. Or Just an AMP. Help me please!!!
Feb 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #16 of 23
Another question that I want to ask. People say that DACs don't make much of a difference compared to onboard sound. Is this true? How much of a difference does a DAC really make? 
Do you think that it's better just dumping this ~$250 in an amp rather than an amp+DAC combo?

IMO there is no "magic" in DACs like there may be in the audio part. DACs are pretty straightforward in design, and you do not have to step up in price much to get one that is good. For example, I find that the ODAC is more than adequate. I am sure there are others in about the same price range.Some of the more expensive ones may have additional features. I would place your money in the audio amp part, for this is where you will recognize most of a difference. However, I do believe an external DAC is better than the one you will find in let's say a telephone. For that matter, you can always get the DAC part later.

Bob Graham

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 23
I've heard that the Schiit Modi is better than the O2 DAC and the O2 amp better than the Schiit Magni, so perhaps you could have a combo of the O2 amp and the Modi, instead.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 23
Well in the end, I have decided to get nothing. I think I want to wait for more detailed reviews of the schiit before i buy anything. I have a lot of questions, but do not feel as if this is the right thread. Most likely going to wait for a either measurements for the Schiit, or wait for some second hand stuff to pop up before I really decide.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 23
Well in the end, I have decided to get nothing. I think I want to wait for more detailed reviews of the schiit before i buy anything. I have a lot of questions, but do not feel as if this is the right thread. Most likely going to wait for a either measurements for the Schiit, or wait for some second hand stuff to pop up before I really decide.

for ~$200 go with the Schiit Audio combo. If your willing to save up to $500 check out the ALO Audio PanAm DAC/amp combo, that puppy sings. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 23
  for ~$200 go with the Schiit Audio combo. If your willing to save up to $500 check out the ALO Audio PanAm DAC/amp combo, that puppy sings. 

The Schiit audio combo is more like $300 with the cables that I will need to get and the shipping directly from Schiit, which is ok (I said ~$250 because I needed to account for shipping).

And to be honest, I don't really want a tube amp. I just don't want to go through the trouble of replacing tubes.

My money is going to be held for now, maybe something better will come along 

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 23
  Hi everyone. 

I'm looking for a new amp+dac combo. I plan to use it at home exclusively so I have 3 options that I like. 
1. Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1+DAC
2. JDS Labs O2+ODAC 
3. Schiit Audio Magni + Modi.
I am open to any suffestions that you have.

So at the moment, I am using the soundcard that came with my Asus A45V notebook computer. It's ok, but I'm looking for something that sounds a bit better, so I've put my options out there. All these cost about $300 in Australia (apart from the D1 which I have no idea how much shipping costs).
A question about amps (since I know almost nothing), can the D1 be used without tubes and still get the best sound out of it? I know that you need to replace tubes, but I don't think that is an option for me considering my limited budget.

So a bit about my situation:
-I will use it through my computer most likely
-I don't need portability ( I do most of my listening through my computer unless I'm on the move, I use a Sandisk Sansa Clip+). 
-I use a pair of Sennheiser HD595 (MartinLogan Mikros 90 incoming also), but maybe plan to get HE-400 later when I have money, or something else that's nice (most likely will need some power to drive)
-I listen to a lot of different genres of music. 
-When I listen, a lot of what I listen to while on the computer comes from Pandora internet radio which I love for finding new artists and music.

So I think that I've filled a lot in about who I am and what I want. Feel free to ask more questions

Thanks

nuforce icon dac will save you a lot of inbetween upgrades and is powerful and better imo then what you mentioned. at 299 with everything u need right away its a steal

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #22 of 23
  Well I eventually want to get planar magnetics. The HE-400 might be the first one that I get. So something to power that.

Here's a sometimes credible reviewer discussing HE400 with O2: http://www.headfonia.com/nwavguys-objective-2-by-jdslabs-and-epiphany-acoustics/

"The Hifiman HE-400 with its thicker mids and powerful bass, does very well with the O2. The O2 softens the parts I find the HE-400 to focus too much on and as a result you get a nice match. Good detail, soundstage and clarity, as good as it gets on the HE-400."

I often find Mike's reviews objectionable (including this one) or else we simply have different preferences. It's often hard to tell which is which, but it comes to the same thing. He prefers a more colored sound, but still thinks O2 pairs particularly well with HE400. I'm pleased to read it, given how much I like both.

I hope you find something that satisfies you.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #23 of 23

Here's a sometimes credible reviewer discussing HE400 with O2: http://www.headfonia.com/nwavguys-objective-2-by-jdslabs-and-epiphany-acoustics/

"The Hifiman HE-400 with its thicker mids and powerful bass, does very well with the O2. The O2 softens the parts I find the HE-400 to focus too much on and as a result you get a nice match. Good detail, soundstage and clarity, as good as it gets on the HE-400."

I often find Mike's reviews objectionable (including this one) or else we simply have different preferences. It's often hard to tell which is which, but it comes to the same thing. He prefers a more colored sound, but still thinks O2 pairs particularly well with HE400. I'm pleased to read it, given how much I like both.

I hope you find something that satisfies you.

you know what I didnt think of that. I think the nuforce would make a bad match with the he-400. It would only emphasize its treble spike. so think thats a good idea. 

There is also the aune t1 that has tubes that you can swap as well to change the sound to your liking. I prefer it to the schiit modi and odac and the amp section is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back