Looking for a good AMP+DAC. Or Just an AMP. Help me please!!!
Feb 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

syNRG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. 

I'm looking for a new amp+dac combo. I plan to use it at home exclusively so I have 3 options that I like. 
1. Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1+DAC
2. JDS Labs O2+ODAC 
3. Schiit Audio Magni + Modi.
I am open to any suffestions that you have.

So at the moment, I am using the soundcard that came with my Asus A45V notebook computer. It's ok, but I'm looking for something that sounds a bit better, so I've put my options out there. All these cost about $300 in Australia (apart from the D1 which I have no idea how much shipping costs).
A question about amps (since I know almost nothing), can the D1 be used without tubes and still get the best sound out of it? I know that you need to replace tubes, but I don't think that is an option for me considering my limited budget.

So a bit about my situation:
-I will use it through my computer most likely
-I don't need portability ( I do most of my listening through my computer unless I'm on the move, I use a Sandisk Sansa Clip+). 
-I use a pair of Sennheiser HD595 (MartinLogan Mikros 90 incoming also), but maybe plan to get HE-400 later when I have money, or something else that's nice (most likely will need some power to drive)
-I listen to a lot of different genres of music. 
-When I listen, a lot of what I listen to while on the computer comes from Pandora internet radio which I love for finding new artists and music.

So I think that I've filled a lot in about who I am and what I want. Feel free to ask more questions

Thanks

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 23
  Hi everyone. 

I'm looking for a new amp+dac combo. I plan to use it at home exclusively so I have 3 options that I like. 
1. Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1+DAC
2. JDS Labs O2+ODAC 
3. Schiit Audio Magni + Modi.
I am open to any suffestions that you have.

So at the moment, I am using the soundcard that came with my Asus A45V notebook computer. It's ok, but I'm looking for something that sounds a bit better, so I've put my options out there. All these cost about $300 in Australia (apart from the D1 which I have no idea how much shipping costs).
A question about amps (since I know almost nothing), can the D1 be used without tubes and still get the best sound out of it? I know that you need to replace tubes, but I don't think that is an option for me considering my limited budget.

[snip]

So I think that I've filled a lot in about who I am and what I want. Feel free to ask more questions

Thanks

You want to use a tube amp without the tubes? Am I misunderstanding something here? Moving on...I have the O2 + ODAC combo unit. I am particular about the reproduction of my music, but not as demanding as some audiophiles are here. I find this unit to sound very good through good headphones. Also the customer support from JDS Labs is unparalleled. And I do not make this statement lightly, coming from me, the cynic.

Bob Graham

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 23

You want to use a tube amp without the tubes? Am I misunderstanding something here? Moving on...I have the O2 + ODAC combo unit. I am particular about the reproduction of my music, but not as demanding as some audiophiles are here. I find this unit to sound very good through good headphones. Also the customer support from JDS Labs is unparalleled. And I do not make this statement lightly, coming from me, the cynic.

Bob Graham

To be honest, I have no idea how tube amps work. Price is an important factor here, so if i can save money, I really want to.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 23
Then IMO good tube amps will be too expensive. I would stay with the solid state amps. Some sound very good to me.

Bob Graham

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 23

[...] I have the O2 + ODAC combo unit. I am particular about the reproduction of my music, but not as demanding as some audiophiles are here. I find this unit to sound very good through good headphones. Also the customer support from JDS Labs is unparalleled. And I do not make this statement lightly, coming from me, the cynic.

Then IMO good tube amps will be too expensive. I would stay with the solid state amps. Some sound very good to me.

I agree with all your points.

Some prefer Magni/Modi for their looks. I like to know what I'm getting so the measurements matter to me--and I'd want that Sabre DAC.

If you're planning to use higher impedance models with O2+ODAC, you'll probably need a more powerful AC/AC plug. Ask JDS about it. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 23

Bob Graham

So out of the 2 above, which do you think is better. I'm leaning toward the Schiit to be honest, but I want them to power very demanding headphones, which I'm not sure if either can do.
Can someone please give me a bit of insight into this and also how they sound. There aren't too many reviews on ths Schiit so I would like to know a bit more.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 23
Magni sounded bright to me; I don't know how powerful it is. O2 isn't a looker, but it gives you all the power you need. (Remember to ask about the plug.)

The question is how powerful you need. If you see yourself ever buying older models (600 ohms!), you'll want more power.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 23
  Magni sounded bright to me; I don't know how powerful it is. O2 isn't a looker, but it gives you all the power you need. (Remember to ask about the plug.)

The question is how powerful you need. If you see yourself ever buying older models (600 ohms!), you'll want more power.

Well I eventually want to get planar magnetics. The HE-400 might be the first one that I get. So somethig to power that.

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 23
I haven't tried HE400 with O2, but I don't foresee a problem. (Should've tried it when I had a chance!
angry_face.gif
) You might also consider Emotiva's small speaker amp, mini-X A100, which is a popular choice for driving planars.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 23
I haven't tried HE400 with O2, but I don't foresee a problem. (Should've tried it when I had a chance! :angry_face: ) You might also consider Emotiva's small speaker amp, mini-X A100, which is a popular choice for driving planars.

Will this drive dynamics well say up to 300ohm? Also will it power more demanding planars than the he-400?

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 23
I'm not sure if the O2 is capable of driving planars but I am sure the Schiit stack can manage without huge drawbacks.

Feb 22, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 23
Will this drive dynamics well say up to 300ohm? Also will it power more demanding planars than the he-400?

Yes, with the more powerful plug. (Power becomes an issue at only very high volumes, where you might encounter some looseness in the bass with the regular plug.)

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 23
Another question that I want to ask. People say that DACs don't make much of a difference compared to onboard sound. Is this true? How much of a difference does a DAC really make? 
Do you think that it's better just dumping this ~$250 in an amp rather than an amp+DAC combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back