Looking for a good 17" LCD monitor...
Jul 7, 2005 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey gang,

I've been searching for the best 17" LCD monitor I can find for around $300, but I don't know where to start.

If any of you could provide recommendations or advice for finding my magic monitor, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 21
I was at Best Buy the other day and this LCD stood out (as did it's 19" sibling) as the best they had: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002284

It has the same kind of gloss finish that Sony has now and it looks superb. I think the design is good and it's colors are exquisite. I think it's a "pimpin'" screen.

I'm expecting the Sony 17" Widescreen LCD/TV tomorrow, so I can tell you how it compares to my 7 year old Sony Trinitron 17" CRT and my T250's 10.5" screen (which shares the finish and resolution, lol...6.5" difference...hahaha)

OH!, NEC also has a 12ms one I think, I'm not sure if it has the same features though (gloss finish, DVI, etc.) and it's like 70 dollars less.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 21
What are you going to be using this monitor for? Games? or Graphics?

There isn't a magic LCD for both. LCD panels with full 10 bit gamma correction are better for Color and smoother gradient display, but at the cost of speed. Most are pretty slow, latency as slow as 50ms.

But the fastest LCD's sacrifice color accuracy and smooth gradient's for speed.

But since your budget is low, you really can't afford the better color monitors.

-Ed

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
? 19" and still only 1280? are there any 19" that support 1600?

Yeah, it sucks. I don't think I've ever seen a 19" lcd with a different resolution, or maybe a really expensive one or something.

I picked the 17" widescreen one because I can't stand that 1280*1024 resolution, it's just too damn tall!

As for what Ed said, yes...EIZO monitors will easily cost you 3 grand.

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
? 19" and still only 1280? are there any 19" that support 1600?

my roomate has a 17 with native 1280x1024 ... i have the same native resolution on a 19"... and i must say it is most ideal on a 19"...

i also have a 12" widescreen laptop that is over-resolved at 1280x800 and it is quite frustrating sometimes... even with DPI adjustments things just dont work out all the time.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Yeah, it sucks. I don't think I've ever seen a 19" lcd with a different resolution, or maybe a really expensive one or something.

I picked the 17" widescreen one because I can't stand that 1280*1024 resolution, it's just too damn tall!

As for what Ed said, yes...EIZO monitors will easily cost you 3 grand.

That same Hitachi LCD that's in that $3K EIZO seems to be available in the LaCie 321 which costs about HALF that price. Still pricey.

I got the Wacom Cintiq 21UX instead. Has the same LCD in it, but costs $500 less than the EIZO and happens to have an Intuos 3 inside it.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 21
I'm been thinking about getting an LCD monitor. I have an NEC Multisync XV17+ CRT monitor and back in the day when I got it, it looked fantastic, way better than any other monitor I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it's becoming blurry and dull like my dad's monitor became. Eventually his got so bad I was squinting to try to "focus" what was already focused and still blurry. He got a Dell Ultrasharp that's pretty nice, though I don't particularly care for its picture (it's so sharp that you can see the pixels unfortunately). There was a Viewsonic in our Best Buy that looked really nice, though I didn't see that NEC mentioned.

Google's ads aren't all that smart! I scrolled down to find this at the bottom of the page (specifically, the second listing):

admessup.jpg

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 21
Does it have to an lcd? You get a nice 19" crt for $200 . . .

(sorry, I'm a little biased. I like lcds for games and office work, but not for anything else . . . ghosting/motion blur and color accuracy. But maybe the really high end ones fix that, I dunno)

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
What are you going to be using this monitor for? Games? or Graphics?

There isn't a magic LCD for both. LCD panels with full 10 bit gamma correction are better for Color and smoother gradient display, but at the cost of speed. Most are pretty slow, latency as slow as 50ms.

But the fastest LCD's sacrifice color accuracy and smooth gradient's for speed.

But since your budget is low, you really can't afford the better color monitors.

-Ed

Faster would be better. I don't want pixel shadowing or anything like that.

I'm sure there is a "best for $300" 17" LCD screen out there...

I personally don't like 19" LCD screens...they just increase the size of the pixels without increasing the native resolution.

I had a 17" Sony Trinitron CRT but it got damaged during shipping.

-Matt

Jul 7, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
I don't think a good LCD exists yet. It's only currently mediocre compared to a crt.

imo, thats a very vague and generally untrue statement. if one is a Serious gamer that requires ultrafast display, or a Serious artist that needs perfect dithering and color gradient, then maybe a CRT is better.

on the other hand, 90% of the public spends most of their time surfing the web and using normal apps where the LCD has the advantage of perfect geometry, crisper text, lessened fatigue.... all in addition to less power consumption and increased available deskspace... easier transport..

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I personally don't like 19" LCD screens...they just increase the size of the pixels without increasing the native resolution.

yes, but what relevance is this? you have to take into account print resolution... my 19" crt could display up to 1920x1440 but what good would it have served? the resolution was TOO fine and the display was soo tiny that it was unuseable. imo, 1024x768 is ideal for 15" and 17" crt... 1280x1024 for 19"

for 17" under 300... i bought an LG for my family that i like a LOT. i have a 19" dell 1905fp that i think was a steal at 280$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back