Looking for a DIY K1000 Vacuum tube amplifier.
Sep 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HamidGal

Head-Fier
Hello HeadFiers ! 

I am willing to spend about 2000 in this DIY project,i have been looking for one for a long time,but still have not decided which one,

The one who fits my needs the most is the Velleman K4040........but i am still looking for more options :) 

I need enough power to drive K1000s and Sony ECR-500 ( i read somewhere this ones need about 100W to give its full potential)

Any recommendations ? 

Thank you :) 

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Have you considered Pete Millett's ECC99'amp? (http://pmillett.com/ecc99_srpp_headphone_amp.htm)

One of the brightest minds around here and he designed it specifically for the K-1000. Yet another one I have all the parts for and haven't gotten around to.

Also consider some of the 2A3 kits out there. Bottlehead makes one and my K-1000 sounded amazing on Donald North's Audio Note 2A3 amp.

You might want to look at the various kits over at Transcendent Sound. Rozenblit is a fine designer and some of his kits ought to pair well with the K-1000.

You don't need 100W to drive a K-1000. The manual calls for 8W, so anything more would probably produce a lot of waste heat, though work fine. I'd only go for more power if you also plan to drive speakers. For me, 3W off a Moth Si2A3 is plenty to drive the K-1000.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 6
A pair of 300B Bottlehead Paramounts is perfect for your K1Ks. Do a search and you will see that many people have fallen in love with the combination in the meetings where Doc B. has showed them.

Since you are in Mexico city I can put you in contact with a friend that has a stock pair (mine have lots of mods) so you can try them. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 6
I would not spend nearly that much on parts for an amp if your asking people what to build. Spend some time looking around, and find something mildly inexpensive that looks like it will do the trick. 

I'd go for a push-pull amp of some sort, at lowish power (4 to 20W) to enable the use of nice friendly low-power tubes. Stuff like: triode-strapped EL84, 2a3, 6bl7/6bx7, 6as7, or if your really strapped for cash any other cheap medium-low power power tubes from the bottom of the tube box. 

Add outputs for the electrostatics as described on head-wize in the electrostatic article in the schematics section. Since you have electrets, you dont have to worry about the complications of a bias supply. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 6
another consideration would be one of the higher power hybrids, either something here on HF (eg  ehha) or some of the offerings over at DIYaudio such as the moskido ( aikido with whatever buffer stage - some interesting things done with Poppa's Burning amp buffer strapped to the aikido board) ..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back