Looking for a device that will tell me how many decibels are either in a room or coming from my headphones.
Dec 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JeffJeffery

New Head-Fier
I am curious as to how loud my music is when listening to my headphones on my iPod and computer.  Is there a device that would allow me to measure it, relativity accurately.  I also monitor sound/ DJ at some events and would like to be able to monitor the sound levels I am at because right now I have no idea.  So if there is a device that I could use for both that would be cool.  I am not looking for anything expensive because I wont use it that often and am more curious than anything.  Do you have any good recommendations? I have no idea what type of thing would do this and how much they cost.  I most likely wouldn't spend over $30 but the cheaper the better (but I don't want something that is so cheap that it is not worth getting).

I know this isn't a headphone AMP, but I figured this is the closest thing, and I would imagine people using amps know enough about sound to help.

Thanks

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 3
It is called an SPL meter. You can get a fairly cheap one from eBay or RadioShack (in US),

Using SPL meter to measure headphone might not be very accurate on open air. You need to create a seal in the ear cup to simulate the seal of ear cup to your ear.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 3
There's an app for that. If you're not too concerned about being 100% accurate, there are Iphone and Android apps available.

E.g. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spl-meter/id309206756

Users who are viewing this thread

Back