Looking for a decent pair of reference monitors, need help!
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

sw98

Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of relatively cheap ($300-600) reference monitors to use for near-field listening on my computer desk since I mostly use my computer as a source.

My current setup is this:

16/24 bit WAV > Benchmark DAC1 USB > HD650 (Cardas unbalanced)

I am looking to utilize the balanced XLR's on my DAC for a pair of reference monitors. Is it possible to purchase powered monitors and use the volume control on my Benchmark or is it better to buy unpowered monitors?

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 23
The ADAM A3X @ ~$500 the pair are probably the best desktop monitors currently available in your price range.

If you listen to mainly acoustic/classical/vocal music it is no contest. If on the other hand you listen to a lot of electronic/techno/pop and can cope with something slightly larger then you may prefer the KRK Rokit RP5 G2 @~$350 dollars. There are also competing products from the likes of Mackie, Samson and, good value, Fostex.

The very cheapest from such as M-Audio or Berhinger don't sound that bad for the money but they will not last so long, have such a good guarantee or offer much in the way of customer support if you find you need it.

If you want to push the boat out and spend even more then look at the bottom end of the genelec range.

Are you sure you really want reference monitors? Many audiophiles find their sound too revealing of poor quality sources and the flat frequency response not 'musical' or 'warm' enough compared with what they are used to. Monitors are 'clinical'  because that is how they are designed. Be sure to have a listen before you buy if at all possible.

Quality desktop monitors are a real boon btw. Good decision. I now use mine over the big floorstanders or cans most of the time. Really glad I took the plunge.

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 23
There are no hard and fast rules but with 8" drivers and 250W of power on tap down to 40hz I wouldn't personally call the M-Audio a desktop speaker. Stand mount maybe.

Also one of the points of owning reference monitors is so you can refer to them and use them as a consistent tool over time. Maybe I've been unlucky but in my experience M-Audio stuff doesn't last long. On the other hand ADAM offer a 5 year guarantee.

Dynaudio 5A compact would fit the bill for sure but they'd cost you double your previous budget. ...................They are also getting bigger again....

Sounds to me as if you don't so much want a high quality and convienient desktops set up as a practically full range medium field monitor or stand mount speakers to fill a room on there own. I think you are going to struggle to do that even at the top of your budget and get the sound and build quality you expect. So the M-Audios might be the best you can afford atm for the job you want done. I'd rather get a good quality set of speakers that go down to about 55-60Hz  now and get a sub when you can afford it. Not everyone will agree I'm sure.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 23
Every time someone on the forum asks for budget speakers i have to recommend Behringer B3031a.  Yes, there are quality control problems.  But the neutrality and imaging of these speakers is nothing short of amazing for $400.  Be prepared to face some difficulties, but you can usually get a good pair on the second try.  Maybe you'll even get lucky, and get a decent pair on your first order.  IMO enduring all the Behringer crap is worth it, besides Behringer is actually improving there QC so its worth giving them a go.  If you have ever heard high end speakers, i assure that you will not be disappointed sound quality wise.  To be fair to the B3031as, they are built very well.  There just seems to be some little thing wrong with them, and that for me warrants an exchange.

The sound is comparable to that of the Adam A7s.  To be fair i have never actually heard them in the same room, but judging from the mids and highs the sound is worth about $1000.

If you are prepared for to send an exchange (check seller's return policy) I would strongly recommend these speakers.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 23
I haven't had any problems with my M-Audio BX8a.  M-Audio has been good for me.  :)
I also got the BX8a for $300 for the pair with free shipping back when they were selling off the old stock and upgrading to the BX8a Deluxe.  Good price.  Good speakers.  I'm happy.

M-Audio did have a problem with bad capacitors back in the early 2000's back when lots of other companies were having problems with bad caps as well.  That may be where M-Audio got some bad reputation.

They are big.  They really are big if you're thinking desktop speakers.  Get the dimensions for them and make a cardboard box the same size as the speakers.  Put that box on your desk where you want to put the speakers and you'll see.  Big.  I have a big desk and have the room (barely).  They're still too big for the desk and a little too close to the rear wall.  I've got 4" thick acoustic panels behind them to help tame the rear reflections but it's still not ideal.

The BX8a is also rear ported.  You need about at least a foot of space behind the speaker so the port can breathe.  Too close to the wall and the port sound changes and the speaker sound changes.  So make sure you have room behind them.

Front ported speakers will be easier to deal with.  The KRK and Adam (and gasp Behringer) speakers are front ported.  You can put them closer to the rear wall.  Much easier for desktop placement.

You could also consider smaller monitors and pair them with a sub.  5" monitors are easier to put on a desktop.  Much smaller.  But then you might be wanting a sub.  I don't feel the need for a sub with the BX8a for what I listen to and how I listen.

You'll have to check the manual for your Benchmark DAC1 to see if the balanced outputs are controlled by the volume knob.  If they are then you can plug the studio monitors in the balanced outputs from the DAC and be good to go.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
They are big.  They really are big if you're thinking desktop speakers.  Get the dimensions for them and make a cardboard box the same size as the speakers.  Put that box on your desk where you want to put the speakers and you'll see.  Big.  I have a big desk and have the room (barely).  They're still too big for the desk and a little too close to the rear wall.  I've got 4" thick acoustic panels behind them to help tame the rear reflections but it's still not ideal.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Yeah I'll have to make a cardboard version first because my desk is quite small. The DAC1 USB does let you use the front volume control for balanced output. Were you able to audition the BX8a's for 30 days or no? I'll check out KRK and Adams also.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 23
I was able to hear the BX8a in various demos at Guitar Center and such before so I had a good idea what they were going to be like.  They're not something you would want to return because the return shipping would be a sting.  The box is big and heavy.  Return shipping would be expensive.

I haven't listened to the KRK Rookit G2 speakers.  I have heard the previous version of the Rookit but not the G2 version.  Don't know how the M-Audio stacks up against the KRK.

The BX8a doesn't have the hyper detailed and treble emphasis type of sound that often gets associated with studio monitors.  In that sense it is like a regular hi-fi speaker that is good for music listening.

Amazon has the BX8a Deluxe and BX5a Deluxe for a very good price and free shipping.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 23
Highly recommend the Gen 8020's. The Dynaudio is a different sound, they have ribbon tweeters a definite and potentially devisive sonic  difference you may want to discern for yourself. Do your best not to give Guitar Center your money, try to find some very worthy local dealer who is already struggling. Please God let's force GC to change their policies, personnel, etc! If you have a Best Buy which has gotten music department upgrade they are a great resort.   

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 23
I'll throw my hat in the ring since I was in a similar situation not that long ago and have the same Benchmark DAC1 USB.

I was dead set on a pair of Dynaudio BM5A or BM6AmkII until I stumbled across a pair of Quad 12L Actives used on AudioGon.  I'm sure the Dynaudios would be a little more revealing but the Quads are VERY enjoyable to listen to through the Benchmark and the finish on them is amazing.  They can usually be had for $600-$700 used and if you think they're too big or don't want to spend that much, check out the smaller 11L Active.

Bill

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I'd go with Dynaudio's.

Yeah right now I'm pretty sold on the BM5A's. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back