Looking for a decent desktop build
Dec 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, definitely possible.
Pimeta + Sijosae Class-A or Class-AB buffers

Use a simple LM317-based PSU if it's a stationary unit, you can breadboard one for under $10, use a 12V+ wallwart you have lying around, everybody does.
tongue.gif

^ This.

The Sijosae buffers look simple but they sound good.

This might also be good:
HeadWize: DIY Workshop > Headphones amp based on the ne5534

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 29
I'd recommend the mini3. It may not sound quite as good as some other options under $100 but the real upside is that if (when) you upgrade to a better desktop amp, you can keep the mini3 as a high-end portable amp instead of simply putting it a shelf and forgetting about it.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #19 of 29
well into 2nd page and no one's asked what headphones???

sensitive IEM, to K1000 it does make a difference (up to 100x in requred I,V out)

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 29
Hmm... I've got the ath m50's, but this amp is weighted a little more towards building rather than listening. I just want to have an amp that I built when save up the money to buy my 225i's. The Folks are buying the parts for my Christmas gift. Which I might have already missed the deadline to get stuff shipped on time.

So not too power hungry. I was taking that into consideration
smily_headphones1.gif
I try to have some knowledge of my own.

Ramble ramble

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #21 of 29
at 38 Ohm and 99 dB re 1mW you are a little more sensitive and higher Z than Grados but fairly close

I would want up to 75 mA peak output current, most CMOY op amp choices would be a little short on the output current capability

jrc4580 (RA-1 clone)
ad8397 (mini3)
tpa6120

or most buffered op amp project circuits

or all discrete

would be the main ss candidates

active split 12 V wall wart would be OK for circuits that don't waste too much headroom

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #24 of 29
Wow. That would be worth my time. I've been looking at the Millet Hybrid Minimax. Tubes are something I'm interested in. And the fact that Tomb has a step by step guide making it that much easier. Can anyone comment on this? It's something I'm seriously considering now.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Static| /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. That would be worth my time. I've been looking at the Millet Hybrid Minimax. Tubes are something I'm interested in. And the fact that Tomb has a step by step guide making it that much easier. Can anyone comment on this? It's something I'm seriously considering now.

I'm biased of course, but I think the MiniMAX is definitely commensurate in performance with its price.

Unfortunately, I would never recommend it as a first build. You need to build a CMoy first. That's the standard recommendation and it's a standard for a reason. The MiniMAX is complicated enough that if you make a few mistakes, it's easy to get totally lost, totally frustrated, and give up. That's bad considering the investment. However, experience with one or two projects and carefully following the directions will make it seem easy enough - but not before.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend the mini3. It may not sound quite as good as some other options under $100 but the real upside is that if (when) you upgrade to a better desktop amp, you can keep the mini3 as a high-end portable amp instead of simply putting it a shelf and forgetting about it.

That was the reason I suggested it.
A mint-tin cmoy would be just as good in that regard.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 29
Though the mini3 would be good. I just don't have any phones that would benefit much from its portability. Plus its just one more thing I would be packin in my pocket. If I get some IEM's which is probably inevitable I'll give it some thought.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #29 of 29
Alright so after having a a few nights to sleep on it. I chose to (wait for it, drum roll) play it safe and stick with a cmoy. Better safe than sorry and all that business. Definitely a few future projects in this thread though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back