Looking for a decent desktop build
Dec 11, 2009 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

|Static|

Head-Fier
Budget under $100 usd. I've been browsing for over a month now, and I just can't figure out what to build. I don't have any experience, but I'm feeling a bit cocky about my abilities. I can read a schematic XD. Can anyone shed some incite?

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 29
Yep, definitely possible.
Pimeta + Sijosae Class-A or Class-AB buffers

Use a simple LM317-based PSU if it's a stationary unit, you can breadboard one for under $10, use a 12V+ wallwart you have lying around, everybody does.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's plausible - what about the chassis?

plastic cases
tongue.gif

Go to your local electronics store to get those.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 29
Guess my idea of ‘decent’ is way off track... sorry OP for the negativity, I’ve had the week from hell.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 29
We all have some of those, and we all lose track of comparable references. Since I've noticed that I answer a lot more question which really fit into the "audio consulting" category, I've noticed that "good" is a VERY relative term. I have known this with wine from years ago, just recently have I really understood that this relates to all matters. With $200 you can have something VERY pleasing, just as you can have with $200,000. It's all a matter of relative judgement and a fine bit of perspective.

I won't go into details, but lets simply say that the road of the audiophile is a journey, it has a start and a progression and sometimes, it even ends. We should all enjoy the journey and the landmarks along the way. I was overjoyed with my CMOY running KSC75 compared to my previous setup and make no mistake, the CMOY is a DAMN GOOD AMP! You may want to replace the input caps with a 1K resistor, but it's a very nice amp for most headphones, especially when the opamps are reasonably close to rail-rail and have decent current output.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 29
Well Jeff @ GJA offers a mini3 kit which shipped to AU is probably just under AUD$100 thanks to our snazzy dollar at the moment.
I have used the mini3 as a desktop amp (when all of my gear simultaneously had problems) and it was great for what it is.
Boon is that it is portable too =)

EDIT: LOL you're in Utah haha... how did I get AU!? Either way still under USD$100 I'm sure~

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 29
Try a starving student if you want to go that way, you can always point-to-point it since the kits are gone for now, and there are mods to the original design that use readily available tubes.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 29
The SSMH is an excellent choice for what you're looking for, if you're into tubes or want to try them. Regarding the Mini3 suggestion above, that's not exactly a desktop amp, especially considering that almost half the board space is reserved for a battery. True, any amp can be used on the desktop, but you'll get more sound with your $100 with something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back