Looking for a decent CD Player
Jul 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

chaostheory1980

Head-Fier
Hi, i'm looking for an upgrade to my current cd player which is a sugden cdmaster, i'm not all that happy with the quality of sound as it seems to be a little too bright at times. Im happy to look at second hand equipment, but if any of you audiophiles out there can suggest something i would be extremely greatful (budget is around the $2000 mark)

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 29
I havent heard either of these but several people seems to recommend the Rega Apollo at around $1000 or the Creek Destiny at $2000. Personally I like the Naim CDX (I think the latest version is the CDX2) but these are $6000 new. You could pick up a 2nd hand CDX for $2000 perhaps. I have one of these and it is amazing.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 29
Rega Saturn, which shouldnt be too hard to find at the $2k mark

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 29
i was looking at these players:

- Meridian G08
- McIntosh MCD201
- Esoteric SA10
- Ayre CX-7e
- Azur 840C

all of them have received good reviews and all have balanced outs. i settled on the G08 sort of on a whim, but that's how it happens sometimes.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 29
You should be able to pick up a Marantz SA-15S1 for that money. Well built, SACD playback, discrete output, great onboard DAC. I wasn't a big fan of Marantz until I sat down and listened to their offerings. Beats the Cambridge Audio 840C. I also preferred it to the Rega Apollo, however I didn't get to listen to them side by side in the same system.

Definitely worth adding to the audition list.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 29
Good advice to go with a redbook player that combines a higher resolution playback capability such as SACD or HDCD.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 29
The Ayre CX-7e is an outstanding player. I'd also add the Arcam CD33 to your list.

IMHO, if you don't have any SACDs and your collection of HDCDs is limited, I wouldn't let inclusion of those playback features be a deciding factor.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostheory1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i'm looking for an upgrade to my current cd player which is a sugden cdmaster, i'm not all that happy with the quality of sound as it seems to be a little too bright at times. Im happy to look at second hand equipment, but if any of you audiophiles out there can suggest something i would be extremely greatful (budget is around the $2000 mark)

Another possibility to consider --- the Sugden CDMaster does have a coaxial (digital) output, so you would have the option of using an outboard DAC. Assuming the transport on your Sugden is still working well, and considering your budget, you could probably get a better (or at least as good) sound with an external DAC as compared to a $2K CD player for about half the price. DACs like the Benchmark DAC1, Lavry, Stello, etc. would be good choices. There are folks who argue that you're still better off with a one-box player, but the current generation of DACs are so good, that it would almost be a shame to toss away your Sugden because of sound quality issues which probably could be fixed by a better DAC.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by yage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ayre CX-7e is an outstanding player. I'd also add the Arcam CD33 to your list.

Uh...the Arcam FMJ CD33 is out of production and was replaced by the CD36. Though both can be found used for less than $2K on Audiogon.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 29
I have the Azur 740C and love it. The reviews of the 840C would suggest it's a fantastic value (performance/price). Good luck with your decision.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 29
You might want to do a search for Purk's posts on various players. His knowledge, based on actual listening rather than hearsay, is phenomenal.

Don't be afraid to look at modified players, either. Lots of great values out there.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh...the Arcam FMJ CD33 is out of production and was replaced by the CD36. Though both can be found used for less than $2K on Audiogon.
wink.gif

You've got to be really lucky to find a used CD36 for under $2k (which is why I mentioned the CD33).

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 29
If going the used route, and don't need balanced outs, the Musical Fidelity A5 is a tremendous CD player and the Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 a fantastic DAC.

Although beyond the price range a little, the new PrimaLuna ProLogue Eight is a very fine all-tube CD player.

Good Luck!

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 29
I think Purk has the best advice on CD players I have seen over many years.

I also think the Sony players are highly evolved for the money. I have had many Sony cd players and have stayed with the modded Sony C333ES SACD player for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back