Looking for a DAC with USB input.
Sep 10, 2007 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

N15M0

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I am currently looking for a DAC with usb input as I would be connecting it to my macbook pro. Currently I am about to get the stello DA100. Are there any better recommendation which is around the Stello price range? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 22
You can also use optical out with the MacBook Pro, as the headphone socket doubles as a 3.5mm optical port (in case you weren't aware). You don't even need to switch your output device in sounds.pref to use it - not that this matters too much, as I use USB and it auto-toggles between USB and on-board audio depending on whether it's available or not.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 22
The Headroom Micro DAC's are nice too. Neutral but not too analytical and pretty warm sounding.

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 22
Stello is very highly regarded and a very popular dac around here, I haven't heard but did extensive research on it, always gets excellent reviews.

I personally bought the MHDT Paradisea, a non-os tube dac for $600, they are sold new on ebay. If you like a warm natural almost analog sound and very musical I would check that out, can't say how it compares to the DA100, except that I am very happy with the Paradisea. Voices sound like voices through the Paradisea -HD650, I always find with most dac's it may be hyper detailed but still sound artificial, the realism of Paradisea makes the music more emotive to me, so thats my two cents.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 22
Depending on your needs the upcoming Pico USB DAC/Amp combo from HeadAmp might be another option.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #12 of 22
I am actually looking for a desktop dac. I already have a GS-1. My system setup would be like Macbook Pro --> DAC --> GS-1 --> HD650. Budget wise would be around 700 region which the stello da100 falls under. Currently I am thinking about getting the Stello DA100. But I am open to other recommendations and hope that you guys here could recommend me something great within my budget. Thanks.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by N15M0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the macbook pro which 3.5mm headphone jack double as a optical so I could use the optical out instead of the usb also right??

Right. I got two friends who use a TC-7510 with their MAC that way. Of course, with a lot more to spend on a DAC than the TC-7510 costs, you have a wider choice of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back