Looking for a DAC under ~200$ for my hd650's and bottlehead crack...
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a better choice than the HRT music streamer II? That's what I'm leaning towards now, any others I should consider?

Also, would spending more money on the DAC help all that much? I have heard the msII is good bang for your buck, but it wouldn't hold back my cans or amp, would they? I'd like to order soon so I'd appreciate any input, thanks!

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 13
I was looking at the Modi, it looks nice but I'm willing to spend a bit more. How does it compare to the HRT music streamer II, which is $180? (vs $100 for Modi)

I'll certainly look into the ODAC as well

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 13
OK after looking around a bit more I'm between the ODAC and the modi. Any thoughts on these with my setup?

And is there anything available closer to the 200-250 range that would be significantly better than those two? Thanks in advance!!

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
OK after looking around a bit more I'm between the ODAC and the modi. Any thoughts on these with my setup?

And is there anything available closer to the 200-250 range that would be significantly better than those two? Thanks in advance!!

As far as I know, you can't really beat those two DACs unless you jump up to the $300-$400 price range. I personally recommend getting the Modi. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

For more money, you can get more inputs or other useful features. If you're looking for a neutral DAC, you can't beat the sound of an ODAC at $200 or $200,000. The Modi, from its reviews, probably equals it and it's less expensive to boot.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 13
I know I already ordered the modi, but just out of curiosity, specifically what differences would I hear upgrading to a bifrost? I'm still a bit in the dark as to how DAC's (if they are supposed to be neutral) really affect the sound much

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
I know I already ordered the modi, but just out of curiosity, specifically what differences would I hear upgrading to a bifrost? I'm still a bit in the dark as to how DAC's (if they are supposed to be neutral) really affect the sound much

A proper DAC (including the ODAC, MusicStreamer, Benchmark DAC1, and a number of others, apparently including the Modi) won't affect the sound at all.. An inferior DAC will change the sound in its own way depending on the particular flaw(s) in its design.

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 13
so what has your opinion been on the modi with the crack? I ask because I'm going to be in a similar situation but thinking I might need to upgrade from the modi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back