looking for a DAC for my ATH-M50s on MACBOOK PRO, any recommendations?
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 9
The Headroom Total Bithead is a great starting place.  They run $150 and mine has lasted me over 6 years.  It is not the best, but for the price it is quite good.

It is both a DAC and headphone amp in one.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Thanks, I'm looking for its review :)
so anything else :)
pls
By the way, so what app would I use to convert FLAC to ALAC, I mean best app to do this :D

Your Macbook Pro is very decent at driving headphones and the ATH-M50s are not demanding headphones.
Maybe a Fiio E10 $80 (USB/DAC/Headphone amplifier) or Fiio E11 $65 (headphone amplifier), are about as much as you would want to spend for an amplifier for the ATH-M50s

Check out the program EAC (Exact Audio Copy), might be what your looking for.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Arcam rPAC. You definitely CANNOT go wrong with these. 
o2smile.gif

Something tells me these are either sitting in the wrong price bracket or need to be mass-marketed.

You can find my impressions of it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/591353/arcam-rpac-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier#post_8255634

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Nuforce seems to be more of an exercise in product design than a true audiophile offering, IMO. While their products are really REALLY sexy to look at (as well as to touch and feel), I don't think that alone justifies the sticker price.

No comments from me about the Audinst (at this point) as I've not personally auditioned it myself yet. But from hearsay, it is only capable in the same way that certain FiiO products are capable of delivering pretty good sound for the money. So, if you can find a sample of it floating around, do give it a whirl and see what you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back