Looking for a DAC, Cirrus vs. AKM?
Jul 13, 2008 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm just trying to get a feel for the DAC world, I would just go out and buy a Playstation and be done with it, but I really do enjoy my playlists of V0 mp3s I listen to on my computer and xbox. So rather than have extra plastic hanging around I figure it might be nice to get a DAC with that similar legendary sound of the AKM chip. I really don't have loads of money to be spending (college student). But if there is something that can be recommended by anyone, I would love to hear some suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally in the past I have been interested in the E-MU 0404 USB (uses AKM chip), although I am not too crazy about it.

And right now Zhaolu DAC's look interesting, I really like the multiple inputs but I have no idea how it's Cirrus chip sounds compared to an AKM chip.

Any other high quality chips in cheaper DACs?

Anyway, thank you so much for reading this post and hopefully this thread will fill up with some replies soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 3
The Super Pro 707 uses a Cirrus CS-4398 (capable of 24bit/192kHz ).

$110...
biggrin.gif

I love mine...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Super Pro 707 uses a Cirrus CS-4398 (capable of 24bit/192kHz ).

$110...
biggrin.gif

I love mine...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks nifty, pretty portable solution..

I really haven't taken a listen to the difference between many DAC chips, all I know is that the AKM chips are supposed to be really something, and if they are using them in expensive CD players as it is, well then it all looks good to me, but like I said, I haven't heard any of these, so I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you for your input TopPop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back