Looking for a dac/amp upgrade from Dragonfly Red
May 12, 2018 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
I am looking to upgrade my dragonfly red. Would preferably like a DAC/AMP combo, budget it max 250 preferably around $200 (will get it used off head fi or AV exchange). Portable is preferred. Signature wise I would prefer something that will either compliment the Dragonfly or the same as the Dragonfly, just a bit more higher end. I am also looking for something that will boost detail and soundstage specifically.

I will be running this with the Campfire Polaris and Noble X. I was looking at the Mojo but it's a bit out of my price range.

Any ideas? I listen to quite the variety of music, top three genres being film scores, alternative metal, and edm. Thanks

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 10
I would like to know too. Something as portable preferably.

On a side note, I tested the Mojo in-store and it is indeed an upgrade haha.

May 13, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 10
The Chord Mojo might be the only real upgrade if sticking to portable devices. Might want to just save up for it. It beats plenty of huge, multi-thousand dollar standard (older) delta sigma DACs... pretty crazy.

May 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Mojo is a fine dac/amp and does fine running a lot of full sized cans also as I love the HD-800’s thru it. I’ve only heard the DFR as a dac and thought it did a good job at that also.

May 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Welp...looks like I'm saving up the Mojo then.

May 14, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 10
May 14, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 10
May 14, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 10
I would say ifi iDSD Nano BL is a better buy for me as compared to Chord Mojo:
1. The connectivity is much convenient as compared to Mojo. The OTG cable is available in the market. Unlike Mojo which is extremely sensitive to OTG cable. Some OTG cables just simply does not work (for me).

2. The presentation is more neutral. I find Mojo is a little too musical for me. I prefer something which is neutral or maybe towards clinical and analytical. ifi iDSD Nano BL reminds me of SONY WM-1Z.

3. The built in iE match is a plus point for me because I am using sensitive IEM (Campfire Audio) and this solved all the hissing problem for me.

There are more to be compared but this 3 points are sufficient for me to make a decision between them.

May 15, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for your views.

May 29, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 10
I would say ifi iDSD Nano BL is a better buy for me as compared to Chord Mojo:
1. The connectivity is much convenient as compared to Mojo. The OTG cable is available in the market. Unlike Mojo which is extremely sensitive to OTG cable. Some OTG cables just simply does not work (for me).

2. The presentation is more neutral. I find Mojo is a little too musical for me. I prefer something which is neutral or maybe towards clinical and analytical. ifi iDSD Nano BL reminds me of SONY WM-1Z.

3. The built in iE match is a plus point for me because I am using sensitive IEM (Campfire Audio) and this solved all the hissing problem for me.

There are more to be compared but this 3 points are sufficient for me to make a decision between them.

2nd! Get the nano, better bang for buck than the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back