Looking for a DAC/amp to drive HD650/HE-400 for the HTPC...
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
Yep. Internal amp on the STX. External amps connected to the line out (see my sig). And an HK 3390 with Energy Veritas speakers. The end result is that the ODAC did seem an improvement to me, with both headphones and the Energys. Now having tried the ODAC, it just seems to me for most people, it would be simpler just to avoid speculating about/predicting whether or not there could be issues, or having to troubleshoot problems after purchase.

Well, what I was mainly interested in is what the improvement exactly is. Is it related to actual audible noise (particularly noise that depends on system activity), or general sound quality (sound stage, bass, detail, etc.) that you assume is affected by computer noise ?

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 19
No. Not audible noise. The O2 is just blacker--more depth--and a touch more clarity. Which suggests to me that there might have been some very low level interference, but could be anything. I also had a group loop problem with the tube amp if the headphone output was used.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #19 of 19
I would highly recommend the Asus Essence One. I've had the internal STX Xonar card for quite some time but the Essence totally blows it away. I use it as a USB DAC & Headphone amp for my HD 650's & it sounds great. I really like a nice sounding acoustic guitar & the Essence/HD650 combo just does a wonderful job with it. Great bass, plenty of top end & beautiful mid's. There are a couple of version of the Essence One, mine is the standard & cost £370 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back