Looking for a DAC, Amp, and Closed Over Ear Headphones for Office Setup under ~$400
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

elementxero

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my setup at work (Sennheiser HD280s plugged directly into my laptop) but I don't want to break the bank.

I use a Schiit Modi at home as a DAC and love it, so I was thinking of a Modi / Magni combo plus possibly a pair of audiotechnica ATH-M50x's?

Anyways, just looking for input and advice from people who know the market more intimately than I do.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 15
How about pushing it a little with some mad dogs perhaps?

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 15
How about pushing it a little with some mad dogs perhaps?

Hadn't heard of those before but they look like they go for $450?  Way out of my range...

Correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT- I see, those are the "Pros", regular edition is 299.  Still more than I was looking to spend but it's worth considering.  Thanks!

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 15
  Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my setup at work (Sennheiser HD280s plugged directly into my laptop) but I don't want to break the bank.

I use a Schiit Modi at home as a DAC and love it, so I was thinking of a Modi / Magni combo plus possibly a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x's?

Anyways, just looking for input and advice from people who know the market more intimately than I do.

Thanks!

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones, $150-$200.
FiiO E10K USB DAC amp, $75.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 15

That amp is adorable.  Will 200mW be the enough to drive those headphones to satisfaction?  Amazon has them at 42 Ohms so I assume so, but I figured I'd ask.

The E10K should be able to drive headphones from 12-Ohm to 250-Ohms.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 15

The E10K should be able to drive headphones from 12-Ohm to 250-Ohms.

Here's a question for you though...now that I have more room in my budget, is it worth it to go for these (I'd go for the 80 Ohm cans, but it won't let me link them.)?

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

I've heard good things and more than anything they just look extremely comfortable, which is important to me as I'd be wearing them for 4+ hours a day, every day.  The reviews of the ATH-A900X's are great as I love the idea of a very neutral set in this pricerange, but the "floating" design makes me hesitate...if they don't sit securely on my head it will drive me nuts.  Although again, as this is for my desk, I'll be relatively stationary.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, I know am just basically exploiting the knowledge here, but I'd rather that than comparing potentially biased reviews...

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 15
  Here's a question for you though...now that I have more room in my budget, is it worth it to go for these (I'd go for the 80 Ohm cans, but it won't let me link them.)?
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=pd_cp_MI_2
I've heard good things and more than anything they just look extremely comfortable, which is important to me as I'd be wearing them for 4+ hours a day, every day.  The reviews of the ATH-A900X's are great as I love the idea of a very neutral set in this price range, but the "floating" design makes me hesitate...if they don't sit securely on my head it will drive me nuts.  Although again, as this is for my desk, I'll be relatively stationary.
Sorry to be a pain in the ass, I know am just basically exploiting the knowledge here, but I'd rather that than comparing potentially biased reviews...

I personally prefer my A900xs to my DT770s (80 & 250-Ohm), guess the A900Xs offer better vocals, the DT770s have a more U? shaped sound.

I did not like the wings on the A900X's when I first bought them, the cups would slide down and rest on top of my ears, I was considering to return them, I would have if I had not lost a few pieces of the packaging and I did not want to have to take a chance of getting a restocking fee, so I kept them.
I figured out how to fix the wing issue and added Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping), then for a while they become my preferred headphones for about a year, until I bought the ATH-W1000Xs :)
So it took about three months of owning the a900Xs for me to really like them.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 15

I personally prefer my A900xs to my DT770s (80 & 250-Ohm), guess the A900Xs offer better vocals, the DT770s have a more U? shaped sound.

I did not like the wings on the A900X's when I first bought them, the cups would slide down and rest on top of my ears, I was considering to return them, I would have if I had not lost a few pieces of the packaging and I did not want to have to take a chance of getting a restocking fee, so I kept them.
I figured out how to fix the wing issue and added Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping), then for a while they become my preferred headphones for about a year, until I bought the ATH-W1000Xs :)
So it took about three months of owning the a900Xs for me to really like them.

Thanks for the input!

I'm still a little sketchy on those wings, I've just read too much about people with smaller heads (me) hating them.

If I were to go with the 250 Ohm DT770s, would that amp still be sufficient to power them?  I don't make a habit of it, but I do want the capability to make them unbearably, ear-damagingly loud for those moments where the mood strikes me.  If I end up with a 'ceiling' that is anything below "ouch, this is too much" I will be annoyed.

I'd just go with the 80 Ohm DT770s, but for some reason they are over $100 more!  At that point I'd just rather get the 250 Ohm versions and a better amp with more overhead.

Thoughts?  Thanks again for your help!

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 15
  Thanks for the input!

I'm still a little sketchy on those wings, I've just read too much about people with smaller heads (me) hating them.

If I were to go with the 250 Ohm DT770s, would that amp still be sufficient to power them?  I don't make a habit of it, but I do want the capability to make them unbearably, ear-damagingly loud for those moments where the mood strikes me.  If I end up with a 'ceiling' that is anything below "ouch, this is too much" I will be annoyed.

I'd just go with the 80 Ohm DT770s, but for some reason they are over $100 more!  At that point I'd just rather get the 250 Ohm versions and a better amp with more overhead.

Thoughts?  Thanks again for your help!

Get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, i prefer them a little over the Pro 80s.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 15

Get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, i prefer them a little over the Pro 80s.

And the E10K will push them to "painful" levels?

No, not really. It will push them to at least 110 dB based on specs from beyer and fiio. Not a lot of headroom for peaks etc. and not necessarily painful per se. Better get a beefier amp.

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 15
No, not really. It will push them to at least 110 dB based on specs from beyer and fiio. Not a lot of headroom for peaks etc. and not necessarily painful per se. Better get a beefier amp.
thanks.... you think the magni modi stack would perform to that level?

Yeah, I'd assume, plenty of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back