Looking for a closed, sub $300 pair
Nov 1, 2015 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ThickGlasses

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys! You might be wondering what a guy like ME (*cough* post count *cough*) is doing in the newbie section. Long story short, I'm looking for a new pair of cans for my friend Brian. Why isn't he posting? I figured a guy with 1300+ posts would get more attention than a simple "reccomend gud earpones plz". I don't know the first thing about the kind of headphones he wants. I mean, I know OF headphones that supposedly meet his criteria, but I've never heard them. 

Needs:

Leather or vegan leather earpads, high quality preferable.​
Sturdy construction.​
Closed head-phones.​
Sub 300$ Canadian.​
Over-ear.​
Can be run comfortably off an LD1+ (same amp I have, we got a package deal about a year ago)​
 ​
Wants:
 ​
Detachable cable (not wireless).
Bright highs and subdued bass.​
Terminates to 1/4th​
Thin to medium-thick cable.​
1 to 1.5 meter long cable​
 ​
Dislikes:
 ​
Heavy Bass
Super Long Cables​
(Very Important) Pads like the HD414, he's allergic.​

Well, I think that about sums it up. I don't have ANY experience with closed headphones, so I hope you guys can help us. Also, I was just joking about the post count thing; please don't lynch me :p

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 17
The HD598 SE might fit the bill.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 17
Koss MV1 comes to mind - they have vinyl Pneumalite pads that shouldn't cause any problems (I'm assuming your friend is allergic to foam, since that's what the 414 pads are made from; guessing this also kicks Grado out), they isolate very well, they're fairly high impedance (250 ohms) so they should work with tube amps (never tried it myself; they fare great with my SS gear though), and they have a lean and quick presentation that sounds like it'd mate well with your wish-list. Mine seem to be very well put together, and they have the Koss lifetime warranty behind them as well.

Some alternate cans that come to mind include the Beyerdynamic T70 and Audio-Technica ATH-A900X. The Beyers isolate well, are very lean/bright, but lean towards coldness; they also have some sort of fabric pad that may be a no-go for your friend (I have no idea what it's made from). They are available in 250 ohm or 32 ohm versions - I've only tried/had the 250 ohm version. The A900X are, from the times I've heard them, polite all'rounders - they're lower Z though (around 40 ohms) and may be a problem with an OTL amplifier as a result. Pads are some kind of pleather so that should be no problem.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 17

Sadly, they're $400 in Canada. I'm also not sure how he'd feel about velour or the fact that they're open... I'll try to get him in here in a bit.
  What about the V-Moda M-100?

I'd heard about their bass being really pronounce, so they didn't really come to mind. I'll see if I can get him to audition some, if there are any in the city.
Koss MV1 comes to mind - they have vinyl Pneumalite pads that shouldn't cause any problems (I'm assuming your friend is allergic to foam, since that's what the 414 pads are made from; guessing this also kicks Grado out), they isolate very well, they're fairly high impedance (250 ohms) so they should work with tube amps (never tried it myself; they fare great with my SS gear though), and they have a lean and quick presentation that sounds like it'd mate well with your wish-list. Mine seem to be very well put together, and they have the Koss lifetime warranty behind them as well.

Some alternate cans that come to mind include the Beyerdynamic T70 and Audio-Technica ATH-A900X. The Beyers isolate well, are very lean/bright, but lean towards coldness; they also have some sort of fabric pad that may be a no-go for your friend (I have no idea what it's made from). They are available in 250 ohm or 32 ohm versions - I've only tried/had the 250 ohm version. The A900X are, from the times I've heard them, polite all'rounders - they're lower Z though (around 40 ohms) and may be a problem with an OTL amplifier as a result. Pads are some kind of pleather so that should be no problem.

Thanks, foam is what I meant! I feel like such an idiot 
redface.gif

The Koss MV1 sounds like a good pick, from what you're saying. A lifetime warranty is good, and the price is about $80. The one thing that bothers me is that he's looking for a significant upgrade to what he has, and at $80... I'm skeptical. It's his decision, so I'll leave that to him.

Unfortunately, the T70 is about $600. Way out of the park.

The ATH-A900X looks to be really good, especially for the price. The LD1+ is a hybrid, so it should be able to drive them without hassle...

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 17
If I were currently looking for a closed pair of headphones with that budget I would look into the new Sony MDR-100AAP. Do note that this is not a headphone that I've heard but merely one that has caught my eyes so simply take it as another suggestion to look into.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 17
  If I were currently looking for a closed pair of headphones with that budget I would look into the new Sony MDR-100AAP. Do note that this is not a headphone that I've heard but merely one that has caught my eyes so simply take it as another suggestion to look into.

Brian here! I looked at those but they seemed like the typical basshead consumer headphones. That said, most reviews seem positive so far. I'll add those to the list.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Just to add on the MV1 - they were around 200 USD when they were in production (anything you find today is NOS), and even at that point I think they're well above their "weight class" in terms of quality. That isn't to say A900X are bad or anything and they sound like they'd fit the bill too. On the T70 - I've seen them on sale for around half that before, but yeah you'd have to wait and watch for a deal.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 17

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS!!!
YOU'RE THE FIRSTS PERSON I'VE EVER KNOWN TO MENTION THE HD598 SE!!! I THOUGHT THEY WERE LIKE SOME AMAZON RIP-OFF BECAUSE NOBODY EVER MENTIONED THEM LIKE EVAR

More on topic, I guess if you dislike bass but want clarity, something from Audio Technica would do.
For extreme clarity - ATH MSR7 will do
Overly analytical sound (not a bad thing) - Goes to the ATH M70x In my opinion
More audiophile-like solution? - A900x (Closed Version) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back