Looking for a clearer sound than Shure SE215
Apr 22, 2013 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Winton

New Head-Fier
Hi I am new to the forum, I have read many valuable reviews and comments so far, but more I read more I'm confused.

I was planning to get Shure SE215, but then decided looking for something else. I don't want boomy bass sounds, I enjoy listening classical and ballads. I don't listen hip-hop or bassy musics at all, so I believe Shure SE215 wouldn't be a good fit for me. My budget is upto $150. I am not an expert so I don't know what might be better options that offers more clarity than SE215? I prefer to stay within the major audio brands since this would be my first IEM.

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 13
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

The SE215s do have a bit of bloom but whether it would be excessive or not would depend on your reference point. That being said  if I'm go and take the stereotype of what classic listeners would usually imply, I would guess that you might want to look at some other options. But of course that leads to something else entirely - we're still not sure of how you would like your genres to be presented. Stating sound preference (mids, treble, staging, other characteristics and qualities) - would be immensely helpful for narrowing something down. Not to mention anything in terms of preference for comfort, isolation, build, etc. 

As simply stating not boomy bass and clear is difficult to go by - something more specific is always appreciated.

Also brand bias will eventually lead you nowhere. Other popular brands offer just as much service and quality (at times even more so) than the big wigs. That is partly the reason why they would be popular in the first place. Allowing access to a plethora of options means that biases will need to be let go at the very least.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 13
thnks for the comment. I really like to hear details. I'd prefer better high's than low's. For example sound of violin should be more clear. Also balance is important. Isolation was another reason I was gonna go with Shure 215, however it's not a must for me. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
thnks for the comment. I really like to hear details. I'd prefer better high's than low's. For example sound of violin should be more clear. Also balance is important. Isolation was another reason I was gonna go with Shure 215, however it's not a must for me. 

Well, FYI the Shures are audibly bass-emphasized and treble rolls off rather significantly. And rather than clarity lushness of note is what they're aiming for and do very well. Something with nice treble and balance, with good detailing and isolation - would look at the UE700, R-50 (if you don't mind a stiffer cable), or the RE-400s (rather smooth but immense natural clarity).

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
And also the ER4P/PT/S series. Great for classical music.

I think that's out of his budget. I would recommend getting a bit more and going for the Fischer DBA 02 MK2 or going for the Rockit Sounds R50. They are both quite a bit superior to the SE215. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 13
Vsonic VC02 and a FIIO E11 - that would be nice... Very clear - amazing, punchy bass.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
I think that's out of his budget. I would recommend getting a bit more and going for the Fischer DBA 02 MK2 or going for the Rockit Sounds R50. They are both quite a bit superior to the SE215. 

I admit that er4 series is beyond $150 budget. Sometimes it is possible if he doesn't mind a used pair. 
I got both my two ER4S on ebay, one for $185 and another for $100 (yes I was lucky).

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Another idea would be the Earsonics SM1 (available on Amazon for a limited time for $99) These have been described as an extremely clear and accurate IEM - they started off at over $250 when first introduced. I have a pair on the way.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 13
The Etymotic HF5 are very crisp clear sounding IEMs and ER4P|S are even better but they has some bright cold soundquality. The RE272 are amazing for the price and match well for these genres music with fairly wide soundstage, crisp, clear balanced sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back