Looking for a cheap flash player that does OGG
Sep 24, 2005 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

steevc

Head-Fier
My wife wants something to let her listen to various radio podcasts in the car. A 256MB player should be ample. A built-in radio that record would be useful to record things for later listening.

For various reasons I prefer to rip everything using OGG, so I'd prefer to get her a player that can do that. I've seen players that do everything except the OGG for around UK£25. I don't really want to pay much more than that, but if the OGG is going to push the price right up we may have to live without it. I'll need a UK supplier that's not going to charge too much on the delivery.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 12
steevc, just out of personal curioustiy, as most podcasts are MP3 encoded, if this player is primarily for podcasts, why the Vorbis desire?

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
steevc, just out of personal curioustiy, as most podcasts are MP3 encoded, if this player is primarily for podcasts, why the Vorbis desire?

Just because I encode all my CDs as Vorbis and so I'd like it to play those files as well. There are a few podcasts that offer both formats where I will take the OGG on principle.

I'm not so bothered about any support for DRM as I have never bought a download track. I prefer to buy CDs.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by steevc
The best value candidate at the moment is the iRiver iFP-890 that I can get for £45

http://tinyurl.com/do5ft

It's more expensive than the non-OGG options, but it's at least a known brand name. It also has USB2.0, which some of the cheaper models lack.

Maybe I'll buy it for Xmas.

Well I hesitated too long and the iRivers have gone from that site. Much more expensive elsewhere (£65+). I've seen some 512MB ones on eBay.

It looks like I may be in Miami next week. Any iRiver bargains to be had there?

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 12
I have an iAudio 5 and have been very hapy with it. I have a couple of minor complaints such as, it takes too long for the player to "boot up". It seems like about 10 seconds or so. Also, the menu is very deep with a lot of functions. It took a while for me to be able to navigate. The manual isn't a lot of help.

However, it sounds good, it plays ogg files, it has an FM tuner which is alright if you're stationary, and can record from the radio or voice. You can get the 256 MB player for $99 online at Cowon America. It may seem like a no-name brand but do some research and you'll find quite a few happy customers.

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 12
If you can find one, the Nextway NMP-712 series may be to your liking. I have a 612TD and I love it. They're hard to find, though, as Nextway isn't exactly a major player in the DAP market; although, they do have some presence in Japan. Overall sound quality of their units, though, I find to be very satisfying.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 12
I looked up the iAudio on UK sites and it's the usual rip-off. Over UK£109 for the 512MB, compared with US$109 on the Cowon site. The exchange rate is $1.75=£1.

The problem with that model is the lack of radio. Being able to do radio recordings is essential and the timer on the iRiver would be ideal.

I may have a look on the Lincoln Road in South Beach next week, although I know some of those shops can be a bit dodgy. I nearly got caught out buying a camera there that only had a 110V charger. Oh, and it always bugs me that they have to add tax on top of the price you see. In the UK shops always show the inclusive price.

Thanks for the hints

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by steevc
I looked up the iAudio on UK sites and it's the usual rip-off. Over UK£109 for the 512MB, compared with US$109 on the Cowon site. The exchange rate is $1.75=£1.

The problem with that model is the lack of radio. Being able to do radio recordings is essential and the timer on the iRiver would be ideal.

Definitely not worth the 75% markup. Which model were you referring to? The I5 has FM and can record radio and voice. It does not have a timer, as far as I know. (I told you the menu was deep and that the manual was useless.)

You can't go wrong with iRiver from everything I've read - never owned one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back