Looking for a cheap and comfortable headphone to pair with Schiit Vali/Modi
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jmurphly

New Head-Fier
Hey there Head-Fi! 

So I'm in the market for a new set of cheaper headphones. I currently use a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs, which while wonderful, don't exactly work for long listening sessions. 

So for that reason, I'd like a pair of comfy over ear phones.

I listen to a lot of Blues/Rock music, watch a lot of movies, and play my fair share of games. 

So my preferences are as follows:

Budget: $50-$80 (under $100)

Over Ear Design

Good bass, strong mids, rolled off highs (Dark/Warm/Etc.)

Can be open or closed

Source: Vali/Modi Schiit Stack

I'm also totally cool with used headphones so long as they come from a reliable seller.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 18
Gemini HSR-1000, also sold as the Takstar Pro 80.
Buy whichever is cheaper.

So far this is the best price I can find for a new pair, for either one.
http://www.amazon.com/Takstar-Headphones-Monitor-Earphones-Professional/dp/B00FXSVSDW

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately it looks like it would take 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for them to get to me... I was hoping I could get something sooner than that.

I found these on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001ARCFA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454444925&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=akg+k240&dpPl=1&dpID=417ICwK2X8L&ref=plSrch

I've seen AKG 240s mentioned on other threads. What are your thoughts on them?

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately it looks like it would take 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for them to get to me... I was hoping I could get something sooner than that.

I found these on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001ARCFA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454444925&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=akg+k240&dpPl=1&dpID=417ICwK2X8L&ref=plSrch

I've seen AKG 240s mentioned on other threads. What are your thoughts on them?

Good value at only $63, but needs to be used with a decent headphone amplifer.
as they are power demanding headphones, more power demanding then their 62-Ohm rated would lead you to believe.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 18
Good value at only $63, but needs to be used with a decent headphone amplifer.
as they are power demanding headphones, more power demanding then their 62-Ohm rated would lead you to believe.

Well I will be driving them through a Schiit Vali tube amp, so I don't think power should be a problem. I don't plan on using them with my phone or anything either.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 18
Hsr 1000 or the takstar 80 nothing can beat that cans for $50

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 18
While I'd personally save up for more expensive headphones since it looks like there's more value going into the Amp, if you had to choose I'd go for the HD 558. At the time of this comment, it's being discounted at $90 on Amazon US 
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A
Sennheiser is one of the best companies to get headphones from if pairing with tube amps like the Vali, and I can personally say that the HD 558's are an amazing deal for the price (has tried the 558, 598, 600, and 650)
I only got to try them from a friend, but I'd actually go out and buy a pair of those ones if I didn't already get a good deal on Massdrop for the K7xx, but that's a story for another day xD

Conclusion if you're lazy to read

HD 558 is the way to go imo

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 18
While I'd personally save up for more expensive headphones since it looks like there's more value going into the Amp, if you had to choose I'd go for the HD 558. At the time of this comment, it's being discounted at $90 on Amazon US 
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A

Sennheiser is one of the best companies to get headphones from if pairing with tube amps like the Vali, and I can personally say that the HD 558's are an amazing deal for the price (has tried the 558, 598, 600, and 650)

I only got to try them from a friend, but I'd actually go out and buy a pair of those ones if I didn't already get a good deal on Massdrop for the K7xx, but that's a story for another day xD

Conclusion if you're lazy to read

HD 558 is the way to go imo

Thank you! And yes, I did read the whole post. ;P

Anyway, do you have an experience with the HD518s from Senn? I've heard many people say they sound almost identical to the HD 558s just with a touch more bass. I can currently get the HD 518s for $50 on Amazon, so if what they say is true, I'd much rather save the extra cash.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 18
Griffin Woodtones are the most comfortable headphone out there IMO. They lightly caress your ears. The sound is equally luxurious. Perfect natural tonality. Smooth but detailed. Nothing will ever sound poor on them
No amp required and a removable cable with standard 3.5mm connection. Lovely real wood finish.
Criminally ignored and under appreciated headphones. An absolute bargain at $25 direct from Griffin via EBay. No sapele wood left though I got the last pair:)

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Thank you! And yes, I did read the whole post. ;P

Anyway, do you have an experience with the HD518s from Senn? I've heard many people say they sound almost identical to the HD 558s just with a touch more bass. I can currently get the HD 518s for $50 on Amazon, so if what they say is true, I'd much rather save the extra cash.

The HD518/HD558/HD598 all appear to use the same 50-Ohm drivers.
But i guess they are tuned differently.
Hd598 has the best over all sound quality, but the least amount of bass, but responses well with a decent amplifier.
HD518 has the most bass, guess the bass over shadows everything else and does not improve as much which amplification.
HD558 is somewhere in the middle.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Griffin Woodtones are the most comfortable headphone out there IMO. They lightly caress your ears. The sound is equally luxurious. Perfect natural tonality. Smooth but detailed. Nothing will ever sound poor on them
No amp required and a removable cable with standard 3.5mm connection. Lovely real wood finish.
Criminally ignored and under appreciated headphones. An absolute bargain at $25 direct from Griffin via EBay. No sapele wood left though I got the last pair:)

WOW! Those are some handsome headphones... I have a concern, though.

Many reviews say that they are incredibily fragile. How long have you had your headphones, and how would you rate their durability?

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 18
The HD518/HD558/HD598 all appear to use the same 50-Ohm drivers.
But i guess they are tuned differently.
Hd598 has the best over all sound quality, but the least amount of bass, but responses well with a decent amplifier.
HD518 has the most bass, guess the bass over shadows everything else and does not improve as much which amplification.
HD558 is somewhere in the middle.

Hmm, well I will definitely be doing research on both, thank you for the suggestion!

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 18

Many reviews say that they are incredibily fragile. How long have you had your headphones, and how would you rate their durability?

Ive only had this pair for a month, a previous pair for about 6 months (immediately regretted selling) so not long to be fair. I of the reviews mention breaking joints but they seem nicely made to me but a little delicate by design . Shame they don't have a case though.

I do take care of mine and use them mainly around the house. Just a nice comfy non analytical headphone. Buy a spare pair?!?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #15 of 18
Many reviews say that they are incredibility fragile. How long have you had your headphones, and how would you rate their durability?

In comparison to other headphones, I would not rate the HD518/HD558/HD598 as fragile.
As long as your not overly abusing with the them, can't see them breaking or falling apart.
I would say the my HD558 are built as well as possible, for their weight.

I say by some used HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, as the tape covers about 40% of the air holes.
I would assume Sennheiser added the tape to make the HD558 sound less like the more open HD598.

Here is an aftermarket cable I got for my HD558.
Comes with a 3.5mm plug and can be ordered in one of five lengths.
I doubt it changes the audio quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back