Looking for a CD/SACD/DVD-A player
Sep 4, 2006 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41
Need some help here, looking for a CD/SACD/DVD-A player.
Now I'm looking for the best of the best, thing is I already have a great DAC so; when I say best of the best, I mean one with exceptional digital out quality. I don't give a toss about what DAC's it uses.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 41
Hey, you do realize that SACD has heavy DRM and won't let you output digitally, right? I'm not sure about DVD-A, though. I looked into DVD-A a little bit, but there just isn't enough music available to justify it. There are, however, just about 4,000 SACD titles. I've been a lifelong classical fan and a more recent jazz convert, so SACD made sense for me. If you want to test the waters, you can't go wrong with the Sony SCD-CE595. It only does Red and Scarlet Book (no DVD-A), but is $79.97 refurbished and is an incredible value for the money.

If you have a good DAC, get a nice Red Book player and use that as a transport. I'm really enjoying an original Rega Planet I picked up a couple of months ago. I have it hooked via coax to the Central Station and the sound quality is excellent.

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 41
Hay thanks for the help
wink.gif

One thing... So what is a SACD transport? I see them around..?

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 41
K I should have been more specific.
I’m basically looking for a universal digital transport with 24/192 coax output and no anolog outputs. If there is no such thing just a SACD or DVD-A with 24/192 output.

Also.. also looking for one that uses dynamic compression.

Oya.. and brushed aluminum

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 41
Preferably no analog outputs, that one; your paying way to much for the analog outs that I would never use.

Sorry I'm very noobie when it comes to players, never believed in them, but willing to give one a try. I’m in love with DVD-A and I can’t manage to get AC3 to pass through my Transit via USB for processing, can only manage via Coax in.
Think this is something what I'm looking for,
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....ran&1157947079
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1162521337

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 41
I could be wrong here, but I don't think what you want exists. SACD uses a fundamentally different encoding; even if you could output the bits, a standard DAC expecting PCM won't work with it, even if if does 24/192. Thus, there aren't SACD players which output the digital stream.

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Thus, there aren't SACD players which output the digital stream.

There are....certain models from Sony, Denon and Pioneer come to mind. Just that there aren't any standalone DSD DAC on the market. Yet. I say that because I just read an European company, whose name is escaping me, is set to introduce a standalone SACD transport and a companion DSD DAC. Super expensive though.

Sep 5, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
There are....certain models from Sony, Denon and Pioneer come to mind. Just that there aren't any standalone DSD DAC on the market. Yet. I say that because I just read an European company, whose name is escaping me, is set to introduce a standalone SACD transport and a companion DSD DAC. Super expensive though.

Hmm, super expensive. Maybe Goldmund?

Edit: I just looked at their product matrix (www.goldmund.com). I don't see anything like a separate SACD transport/DAC

Sep 5, 2006 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 41
A couple of options if you must have sacd are:
-expensive- Shanling tubed sacd and the sky is the limit on mods
-cheap- Oppo universal for $150 and fully modded at $1200

If you spend $5000 on the Shanling with mods it is said to be one of the best.

Reference audio mods stated that the stock Oppo is nearly as good as a $3500 Marantz player and the modded Oppo rocks.

Sep 5, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy

The EMM Labs gear.

Also, the Esoteric gear. The P-03 is a CD/SACD transport and the universal version also does DVD-A and video. The companion DAC, the D-03 can accept digital output from the transports via iLink or dual AES:

Resized_DSC00926.jpg
Resized_DSC00927.jpg

Sep 5, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
A couple of options if you must have sacd are:
-expensive- Shanling tubed sacd and the sky is the limit on mods
-cheap- Oppo universal for $150 and fully modded at $1200

If you spend $5000 on the Shanling with mods it is said to be one of the best.

Reference audio mods stated that the stock Oppo is nearly as good as a $3500 Marantz player and the modded Oppo rocks.

Hi, Which model of the Oppo are you refering to and if its stock, does it really sound as good as the Marantz?

Thanks

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 41
Wow thanks a bunch guys!
icon10.gif
Much appreciated.

Like I said, I’m a deck noob. Had no idea it’s imposable to out PCM from a SACD.
So… once again; sony suck my hairy ruck sack. I'll just grab me a good cheap dvd player with dvd-a playback. DVD-A's better then SACD anyway.

So.. any suggestions on a good cheap DVD/DVD-A player..? OTHER THEN SONY!

Thanks again
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back